GB | The Boneyard

GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we can all rag on him on hows hes losing it a bit, but he is extremely important this year. its for 1 reason. i have faith in everything KO but one thing a bit and others i'm sure are a lot less sold then me. its x and o's. where GB can be a big help is year 1 for KO in charge of the x and o's. i am going to be paying attention to this as time goes on.

second, when GB moves on after this season i asume a couple guys down the bench move up a spot. all good, but it opens up a spot on the bench and i can only asume that will go to another family member. anyone take a guess who? any chance we bring in some 1 from quinnipiac back?

Reaction Score
we can all rag on him on hows hes losing it a bit, but he is extremely important this year. its for 1 reason. i have faith in everything KO but one thing a bit and others i'm sure are a lot less sold then me. its x and o's. where GB can be a big help is year 1 for KO in charge of the x and o's. i am going to be paying attention to this as time goes on.

second, when GB moves on after this season i asume a couple guys down the bench move up a spot. all good, but it opens up a spot on the bench and i can only asume that will go to another family member. anyone take a guess who? any chance we bring in some 1 from quinnipiac back?

Hobbs and Miller are good coaches. I like Hobbs a lot and think his energy is awesome. If I remember right, Miller is full of fire too. There will be no lack of knowledge or energy on the sideline. The question is, can KO tie it all together along with recruiting and academics?

I really think this is going to work. My instinct is to be skeptical, but there is just so much coaching talent on our bench. Combined with KO's recruiting skills and a new practice facility I have to buy in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would love RA to be the missing link. it would fit timetable wise to if he goes out with a ship this year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Calhoun will be there for Ollie with the advise and experience which kind of minimizes any benefit of having Blaney around. Hobbs and Miller can provide that expereince in game situations as well.

As for the next coaching addition, I'd say Donyell Marshall to work with the big men and of course Ray Allen when he retires from the NBA. I actually have always thought Allen would be a great UCONN head coach someday but needs to get some coaching experience (and to see if coaching is really his thing).

On a side note, remember years ago when Dave Leitao was the obvious successor to Calhoun? Stops at Depaul and Virginia derailed that train.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I want Okafor to be filling the slot as our big man coach. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want Okafor to be filling the slot as our big man coach. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
I would love to see Donyell take that role but I have a feeling that its already a done deal (assuming the contract extension for KO will be there in the spring) that Kevin Freeman will take that role (as a full assistant) once GB retires in May.

Reaction Score

GB also knows the opposing coaches' tendencies and flaws. Invaluable for a rookie coach, particularly for conference play. He will also know when Ollie is panicking and hopefully will redirect him with his coaching experience. Ollie as you said is surrounded with expertise which is half the battle. My only concern is that the bench does not all coach at the same time, during games, deferring always to Ollie. Calhoun could command that, Ollie we will have to see. Think when Calhoun was out, and on the bench how two or three coaches were barking orders, although Blaney's mouth seemed to be affected by strep throat.

Reaction Score
I am surprised at the talk of Donyell and particularly of Ray Allen as potential future coaches. These guys made approx. $70 -100+ million (Ray even more) in the NBA.

Would they really want to come back as assistant coaches and have to go thru tha hard work and grind and have to deal with recruting a bunch of zit-faced, arrogant, over priviledged modern era, high school star athletes (who all think they are NBA talents)? One would think with all the millions that they have, they would travel the world, hit exotic beaches, spend time with family and female friends (f not married), and slowly spend their millions. I would be suprised if they EVER get into college coaching. I would welcoem them with open arms at UCONN but personally wold be surprised if they would ever actually do it.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I am surprised at the talk of Donyell and particularly of Ray Allen as potential future coaches. These guys made approx. $70 -100+ million (Ray even more) in the NBA.

Would they really want to come back as assistant coaches and have to go thru tha hard work and grind and have to deal with recruting a bunch of zit-faced, arrogant, over priviledged modern era, high school star athletes (who all think they are NBA talents)? One would think with all the millions that they have, they would travel the world, hit exotic beaches, spend time with family and female friends (f not married), and slowly spend their millions. I would be suprised if they EVER get into college coaching. I would welcoem them with open arms at UCONN but personally wold be surprised if they would ever actually do it.

Humans aren't all as you presume them to be. As Larry Brown just went on record saying, UConn produced a certain type of NBA player distinctive from others. That type is not wholly inconsistent with wanting to work hard and develop relationships. Having said that, I agree with the PP that Freeman may be the most likely of all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wasn't Donyell working as an assistant at GW for Hobbs until Hobbs was canned? Isn't he now an assistant in the NBA developmental league? A spot at UConn would be a step up.

I could be wrong but I thought he pursued a position on UConn's staff a couple of years back.

Reaction Score

Patrick Ewing has been trying to get a coaching position in the NBA for years.. so yes. If that's what you want to do than you do what's necessary

Reaction Score

Donyell was an assistant at GW a few years ago. I know for a fact that he would absolutely jump on the opportunity to join the staff in some capacity.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree with Eddy, I doubt Ray Ray would come coach. I could see Donyell doing it though.

I would like to have Taliek Brown coach the point guards.

Reaction Score
As much as I would love RA back as a coach I think he ends up spending more time with his charity (and family obviously). What is nice is that we have a good pool from which to choose.

It's so great to hear how so many of past players do and want to come back. Such a great reflection of JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom