Gatorade signs Paige to multi-year deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gatorade signs Paige to multi-year deal

Reaction Score
Who exactly are you referring to?
the sponsors and promoters. You think they care about equality? No they care about making someone famous a symbol, a dollar sign. Not only that they have expectations to not fail because the person they are representing is an image of their business.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the sponsors and promoters. You think they care about equality? No they care about making someone famous a symbol, a dollar sign. Not only that they have expectations to not fail because the person they are representing is an image of their business.
OK, I accept that. But that doesn’t diminish Paige’s talent, hard work and achievement in earning this opportunity.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe some of our other "in the know" posters can offer up any additional news but to me, this is by far, the most significant NIL deal for a WCBB player. I guess Chipotle is nice for Azzi but not nearly as well known as Gatorade.

I know we have a game out in Oregon on Jan 17 so maybe Philip Knight and his marketing team is already planning on a meeting with Paige and her team...
Just Saying GIF by Be_Creatives

I don't think so. The deal with StockX made it so she could wear any shoe brand (especially as she's doing work with them), so signing a shoe deal seems like it would contradict that.

Also, the shoe landscape changed big time when Nike lost Stewie to Puma and gave her the opportunity to create a signature shoe. I'd imagine that Paige's people want to see how that plays out with other companies and different athletes over the next few years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think so. The deal with StockX made it so she could wear any shoe brand (especially as she's doing work with them), so signing a shoe deal seems like it would contradict that.

Also, the shoe landscape changed big time when Nike lost Stewie to Puma and gave her the opportunity to create a signature shoe. I'd imagine that Paige's people want to see how that plays out with other companies and different athletes over the next few years.
As info, Stewie has the same agent as Paige, so their “people” are one in the same.

Reaction Score
Maybe all the new wealth makes it a no brainer for Paige to stay put for her extra Covid year to keep playing with her pal Azzi.
Yes .... I have long heard that pro players make more money overseas and off endorsements. NILs will I think take pressure off players to turn pro early.

Reaction Score
Yes .... I have long heard that pro players make more money overseas and off endorsements. NILs will I think take pressure off players to turn pro early.
Why would you stay and have to deal with basketball + school when you can just focus on basketball as your job and make the same money? If NIL money is orders of magnitude bigger then sure, but if Paige is making the same (or close to it) in or out of school, why stay and deal with all the extra encumbrances of being a student?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why would you stay and have to deal with basketball + school when you can just focus on basketball as your job and make the same money? If NIL money is orders of magnitude bigger then sure, but if Paige is making the same (or close to it) in or out of school, why stay and deal with all the extra encumbrances of being a student?
If I remember correctly that the CBA in the WNBA is only a four year deal and is to be renegotiated before the 2024 season begins, so it might be beneficial for Paige to stay for her Senior year. If she is the #1 pick in the WNBA and the CBA is changed to benefit the players like the last one, she will make more money under the new one.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly that the CBA in the WNBA is only a four year deal and is to be renegotiated before the 2024 season begins, so it might be beneficial for Paige to stay for her Senior year. If she is the #1 pick in the WNBA and the CBA is changed to benefit the players like the last one, she will make more money under the new one.
The players make more money outside of the U.S. No point in hanging around college wasting your best years physically (especially when you're already a bit older like Paige) while having the extra burden of classes, homework, exams, mandatory study halls, etc. when you can just go play for some Russian oligarch and pocket half a mill and be treated like royalty for several months of work. Paige will get the Sue and Diana treatment if she wants it.

Reaction Score
At some point she’ll want to play against better competition…… and move on with her life.
Unless and until she can put the Gamecocks in her rear view mirror, I think she'll have
plenty of competition in college.

Reaction Score
Black Flag, Cutters, Off!, etc. would not be good endorsement opportunities for the Gnat.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The players make more money outside of the U.S. No point in hanging around college wasting your best years physically (especially when you're already a bit older like Paige) while having the extra burden of classes, homework, exams, mandatory study halls, etc. when you can just go play for some Russian oligarch and pocket half a mill and be treated like royalty for several months of work. Paige will get the Sue and Diana treatment if she wants it.
Technically you go to college to get a degree, learn a trade for the future. Right now, because she is such a gifted athlete, Paige is able to earn a living by playing college basketball. Thats right, she is now earning a living, working towards a degree, enjoying the college experience, and playing competitive college basketball. How much better can it get? She can bank what she is earning now and continue in college for 2 or 3 more years, having fun with the college life with her teammates. I know turning pro is tempting, but playing college ball is what she has dreamed about, so why screw that up at her young age, especially since she is technically getting paid for it already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Technically you go to college to get a degree, learn a trade for the future. Right now, because she is such a gifted athlete, Paige is able to earn a living by playing college basketball. Thats right, she is now earning a living, working towards a degree, enjoying the college experience, and playing competitive college basketball. How much better can it get? She can bank what she is earning now and continue in college for 2 or 3 more years, having fun with the college life with her teammates. I know turning pro is tempting, but playing college ball is what she has dreamed about, so why screw that up at her young age, especially since she is technically getting paid for it already.
From a marketing standpoint, there is a projected path for Paige if all goes according to plan. She has signed a 3 year deal with Gatorade that takes her to 2024. That is significant for two reasons. Paige will be a senior that year and 2024 is an Olympic year.

If Paige is able to win one or more national championships at UConn and perhaps a few more NPOY awards, it will be very hard to keep her off the Olympic team in ‘24, particularly if Sue Bird follows through on her stated plan to retire beforehand.

Assuming Paige is a key member of the likely gold medal winning USA Olympic team, she will have a significant opportunity to further monetize her market presence heading into the pros and perhaps elevate women’s professional basketball in the US by bringing new fans to WBB. In a similar manner, that’s what Tiger Woods did for golf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom