Gatorade Players of the Year | The Boneyard

Gatorade Players of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Entire list is on HG! There are 51
NY Brenna Stewart overwhelming favorite over everyone else
IL Morgan Tuck impressive award for Morgan main competition had to be Jewel Loyd
TX Alexis Jones award winner over Mo Jefferson and non SRS
GA Allisha Gray 2013 over DD and K Davis who are also 2013
IN Stephanie Mavunga over Taya Reimer both 2013

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
List of Winners - Link
Has anyone see Kristin Schatzlein the CT winner play? How does she compare to Bria Holmes who is more highly rated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some tidbits on the Virginia winner, Caroline Coyer.

She plays for Oakton, who is undefeated and will face Princess Anne for the Virginia state title this weekend. Princess Anne had outstanding Duke frosh Elizabeth Williams on their team last year. Oakton is the alma mater of former Duke star Jasmine Thomas. Both teams have been very good for years.

Caroline's twin sister, Katherine, also stars for Oakton. Both will play for Harry Peretta at Villanova next year. The Boneyard will get to see them for 4 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ll-at-villanova/2011/02/03/AFVylUBG_blog.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nirra Fields moved from Cleveland (I believe) to Southern California to play for Mater Dei, KML's alma mater. Her move may kept Jordan Adams from getting the California award. Nirra is a dynamic guard originally from Canada. She is living with Mike Brown, coach of the Lakers, who is her guardian. That's 2 straight Gatorade POY awards for Mater Dei and 3 of 4. KML won it as a senior and as a sophomore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Maryland winner, Jonquel Jones, is a rebounding phenom for nationally ranked Riverdale Baptist. She is one of 4 AAs named Jones. She'll play at Clemson next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nirra Fields moved from Cleveland (I believe) to Southern California to play for Mater Dei, KML's alma mater. Her move may kept Jordan Adams from getting the California award. Nirra is a dynamic guard originally from Canada. She is living with Mike Brown, coach of the Lakers, who is her guardian. That's 2 straight Gatorade POY awards for Mater Dei and 3 of 4. KML won it as a senior and as a sophomore.

Fields is, by all accounts, terrific and will play for UCLA next year. According to the UCLA board, Adams and the MD coach Kiernan have no relationship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fields is, by all accounts, terrific and will play for UCLA next year. According to the UCLA board, Adams and the MD coach Kiernan have no relationship.
Interesting. That's too bad about Jordan and Kiernan.

For anyone who was wondering, yes, Sydney Moss (Kentucky) is the daughter of Randy Moss. She must be very athletic. She'll play at Florida.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN got 2, Duke got 2, and Tenn got 2. Not sure if any other schools got multiple players named.

The Maryland winner, Jonquel Jones, is a rebounding phenom for nationally ranked Riverdale Baptist. She is one of 4 AAs named Jones. She'll play at Clemson next year.

Glad to see a top player go to Clemson. They definitely need all the help they can get. I see they have a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Hopefully they can return to be at least respectable in the conference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am sorry to tell you all that the Gatorade award is somewhat political. The recipient is not necessarily the best player in the state.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am sorry to tell you all that the Gatorade award is somewhat political. The recipient is not necessarily the best player in the state.

I know, I know. Its the same with the McDonald's teams. But it does look good on the resume ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nan, are you saying that it it more political than the typical award, or that they are all political to some degree?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UCONN got 2, Duke got 2, and Tenn got 2. Not sure if any other schools got multiple players named.

Glad to see a top player go to Clemson. They definitely need all the help they can get. I see they have a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Hopefully they can return to be at least respectable in the conference.
I think the Itaro Coleman has them moving in the right direction.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, are you saying that it it more political than the typical award, or that they are all political to some degree?
They're all political to some degree.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Is this the second year in a row or second year out of three that the Alabama winner came out of Bob Jones?

Yeah, I know y'all don't care but that's the high school Bridget would have gone to if we hadn't moved. ;)

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
A little of what makes Dukes Alexis so special.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A little of what makes Dukes Alexis so special.

Alexis looks good. She reminds me a little of Skylar.

MoJeff reminds me of an NBA player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro