Gary Carter | The Boneyard

Gary Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was never a fan of the 'spos or Mets but gotta give props to The Kid. Awesome player to watch and has to go down as one of the Top 40 teammates to have ever. RIP Gary.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sad day for the Carter family. Sad day for Mets fans. Sad day for baseball fans.

The Kid was a great teammate and a great player. I only wish I was alive to see him play.

Reaction Score
I remember watching him hit the walkoff HR on opening day in his first game with the Mets. I had gotten into the Mets around 79-80 (when I got WWOR-9) and getting him, then watching that game end I couldn't help but feel like that team was moving in the right direction.

I've read and watched most that's out there on the 1986 team and, one thing that Carter was noted for was taking a lot of the media responsibility and being the face of that team to the reporters. They had such a grouping of miscreants and drunks that Carter was the clean, hometown smiling face they often saw. The team knew he covered their acts and respected him for that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I remember watching him hit the walkoff HR on opening day in his first game with the Mets. I had gotten into the Mets around 79-80 (when I got WWOR-9) and getting him, then watching that game end I couldn't help but feel like that team was moving in the right direction.

I've read and watched most that's out there on the 1986 team and, one thing that Carter was noted for was taking a lot of the media responsibility and being the face of that team to the reporters. They had such a grouping of miscreants and drunks that Carter was the clean, hometown smiling face they often saw. The team knew he covered their acts and respected him for that.

" I had gotten into the Mets around 79-80"

"They had such a grouping of miscreants and drunks "

Makes sense to me. :D

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have to admit...I never remembered ever hearing the nickname "The Kid" ever.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I have to admit...I never remembered ever hearing the nickname "The Kid" ever.
Funny, I wasn't alive during the 80's and I've always known Carter as the Kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom