Gary Apple | The Boneyard

Gary Apple

Reaction Score
Always watch TV related to UConn WBB. Gary Apple is so professional and polished that he somehow gets lost in the coverage. His chemistry with Kara Walters is a thing of beauty. He has the ability to bring the best out of people. He is always well prepared, Kudos to him. He doesn't try to be in the spotlight, similar to Paige wanting to make her teammates look good. Today there was a little tension when Kara asked Meg Culmo a question that she was unprepared for...there was some minor banter between the 2. Gary Apple professionally got involved and the issue was immediately cooled. Kara really knows her stuff and I have praised her before. Has anyone singled out Gary Apple? I like him when he is involved with the Mets and other SNY programming. I would like to see him more nationally exposed, especially in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Always watch TV related to UConn WBB. Gary Apple is so professional and polished that he somehow gets lost in the coverage. His chemistry with Kara Walters is a thing of beauty. He has the ability to bring the best out of people. He is always well prepared, Kudos to him. He doesn't try to be in the spotlight, similar to Paige wanting to make her teammates look good. Today there was a little tension when Kara asked Meg Culmo a question that she was unprepared for...there was some minor banter between the 2. Gary Apple professionally got involved and the issue was immediately cooled. Kara really knows her stuff and I have praised her before. Has anyone singled out Gary Apple? I like him when he is involved with the Mets and other SNY programming. I would like to see him more nationally exposed, especially in women's basketball.
Polished Apple? Really?

Reaction Score
1613871524950.png

Reaction Score
What happened in the post-game? I normally watch, but missed today's post-game show.

Reaction Score
A few years ago when Gary Cohen was off for a weekend, Apple subbed for him on Mets broadcasts and I thought, did a GREAT job. Well, the Met fans buried him on social media saying he was no Cohen. Which was probably true, but Cohen is the BEST. Apple still did a great job. I imagine the same may happen when Geno retires.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I enjoy her as well, but those sections where she’s using the telestrator are painful.
season 6 dancing GIF by CBBC

Reaction Score
I don't think she really likes Nika as a player
Very obvious; she strikes me as very biased in her observations, some players can do no wrong and others nothing right.
Muhl is far from without faults but she is also far from without recognizable positives; mostly bringing a mental toughness Uconn has missed for several years IMO. It is no coincidence that UConn’s defense has taken on a whole different persona with her insertion into the starting lineup.
Also, Uconn remained focused on that end through the 2nd half against Xavier, as opposed to other games where they fell off after building a big halftime lead; a VERY good sign that that end may be becoming this teams “identity” and that’s what wins championships. Again, just my opinion but this team will not win one relying on outscoring teams.

Reaction Score
Count me as one. I’ve never had much of a problem listening to anyone anywhere. For me she is the very first that’s hard to listen to. I love listening to the games when I watch them and she has made me think about turning off the volume and that’s not me.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A few years ago when Gary Cohen was off for a weekend, Apple subbed for him on Mets broadcasts and I thought, did a GREAT job. Well, the Met fans buried him on social media saying he was no Cohen. Which was probably true, but Cohen is the BEST. Apple still did a great job. I imagine the same may happen when Geno retires.
I really don't think Gary will be a candidate to replace Geno when Geno retires... :rolleyes:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I give kudos to SNY as a whole for treating UCWBB as a big deal. As it should, but never a guarantee that a network will.

Reaction Score
I think he is great. He revealed a couple of shows ago that he played point guard and you can tell by his in depth understanding of the game. He is also a perfect set up man for Kara. The pre and post game shows are must watches.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I really don't think Gary will be a candidate to replace Geno when Geno retires... :rolleyes:
If he does you can pretty much guarantee he is bringing Kara along as an assistant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not crazy about Meghan. Sometimes wonder if she played basketball. Displacing another player is a foul, offensive or defensive. She doesn't seem to understand that rule. There are other comments she makes that make me question what she's seeing during the game.

Reaction Score
Meghan fit in a little better with the home grown quality of CPTV. Maybe a little less so on the "big time" SNY :) . I still like her though, if nothing else, she's a connection to the past. Who (besides his wife) has lived through more Geno than Meghan?

Reaction Score
Not crazy about Meghan. Sometimes wonder if she played basketball. Displacing another player is a foul, offensive or defensive. She doesn't seem to understand that rule. There are other comments she makes that make me question what she's seeing during the game.
She played for Geno and was a UConn assistant coach on the first undefeated team in 1995. I don’t question what she sees.

Reaction Score
You don't think there are former players who are bad announcers? Jason Witten, Booger McFarland are two examples. Do you need more?

Reaction Score
Slow news day?

Reaction Score
You don't think there are former players who are bad announcers? Jason Witten, Booger McFarland are two examples. Do you need more?
I was responding to you wondering if she ever played basketball, not on your dislike of her as an announcer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom