Garrett Anderson MIA since UH? | The Boneyard

Garrett Anderson MIA since UH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did I miss Anderson getting on the field during either the Temple or Marshall games?

He comes in against Houston and throws a great halfback option pass for a TD.

Even if UConn only uses himbas a decoy his presence keeps a Safety from crashing the box.

The whole point of using that play against Houston is to add a wrinkle to the offense and keep the defense defensive. Instead the coaching staff decided to wrap it up with a nice bow as a keepsake.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No, he played against Temple. Ran a little wildcat and completed a pass. Also, in the bowl week practice videos he could clearly be seen taking a few direct snaps, but evidently HCBD decided against bringing him out on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Did I miss Anderson getting on the field during either the Temple or Marshall games?

He comes in against Houston and throws a great halfback option pass for a TD.

Even if UConn only uses himbas a decoy his presence keeps a Safety from crashing the box.

The whole point of using that play against Houston is to add a wrinkle to the offense and keep the defense defensive. Instead the coaching staff decided to wrap it up with a nice bow as a keepsake.

It's great when people start controversies based on absolutely incorrect data. Makes for such a pleasant environment.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's great when people start controversies based on absolutely incorrect data. Makes for such a pleasant environment.

I guess the question mark in the title and the question leading off the post confused you in to thinking it was a statement.

If Stairmaster is correct, he played a bit against Temple and not against Marshall.

I would have liked to see more Anderson, more Norl Thomas in the wildcat, more variety.

It's a bowl game with nothing to lose. Have some fun and loosen it up.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily call it a controversy when the thread title ends in a question mark.

To add to the OP ... lining Anderson up in the backfield may have created some confusion. Remember how open Ron Johnson was out of the backfield on that play? A quick pump fake to Anderson followed by hitting Johnson down the left sideline ...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Well, at least by the Houston game, disco had given up on Boyle throwing trick plays

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will fall on internet sword for failing to check the game participation report and see he played against Temple.

If I had checked I would have seen his 8 yard cometion, sack he took and 6 yards running.

Off the top of my head I don't remember any of those plays. He certainly wasn't alone in turning in an unremarkable performance.

I had some glimmer of hope after Houston that the staff would find a way to integrate him in to the offense in aeaningful way.

Instead they gave him a few crumbs against Temple and Nada in the Bowl game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I thought it strange he wasn't part of a bowl scheme we had a few weeks to ready for. If nothing else, raise some issues for their D.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I will fall on internet sword for failing to check the game participation report and see he played against Temple.

If I had checked I would have seen his 8 yard cometion, sack he took and 6 yards running.

Off the top of my head I don't remember any of those plays. He certainly wasn't alone in turning in an unremarkable performance.

I had some glimmer of hope after Houston that the staff would find a way to integrate him in to the offense in aeaningful way.

Instead they gave him a few crumbs against Temple and Nada in the Bowl game.

That wasn't your only mistake

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna throw a hypothetical out there, guys, but is it possible that the guy who was brought in as a QB but switched to backup fullback, isn't very good?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm just gonna throw a hypothetical out there, guys, but is it possible that the guy who was brought in as a QB but switched to backup fullback, isn't very good?

Nobody's arguing he should be a QB or a featured player. One of the wrinkles added to the O game plan was getting rid of the wrinkles.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Absolutely probable. Defensive coordinators have to account for improbable too. Defending a fullback option pass isn't difficult. You just have keep a Safety deep.

Just keeping a Safety deep opens up more options.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
LOL, I thought this was about the baseball player. Blast from the past, man did his career fall off huh?

Reaction Score
Sorry if my sarcasm didn't land, Anderson didn't see the field much against Temple, Marshall or the rest of the year because he isn't good enough.

We fooled Houston on a trick play with him. You get one of those per season - two at the absolute most.

This thread is basically the equivalent of going over to the Men's basketball forum two years ago and being like, "Did anyone else notice that Tyler Olander didn't get a ton of minutes in the NCAA Tournament?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sorry if my sarcasm didn't land, Anderson didn't see the field much against Temple, Marshall or the rest of the year because he isn't good enough.

We fooled Houston on a trick play with him. You get one of those per season - two at the absolute most.

This thread is basically the equivalent of going over to the Men's basketball forum two years ago and being like, "Did anyone else notice that Tyler Olander didn't get a ton of minutes in the NCAA Tournament?"

I get where you are going and I wasn't insinuating he should be getting 50% of the snaps.

But, he had been practicing as a FB since Mid-October. When Rutherford checked in to his first game there was confusion over who he was since Rutherford wore #7 that game. Des had reported that Anderson had also been practicing that week as a FB. Anderson originally wore #7.

I guess where I'm going with this is that the staff has worked a few months with him, used him effectively for the Houston game and then benched him for the bowl game
That was a game where one explosive play could have changed the game.

I don't think Tyler is a good example since he started the Championship game in 2011 as a frosh and actually scored.

Reaction Score
I get where you are going and I wasn't insinuating he should be getting 50% of the snaps.

But, he had been practicing as a FB since Mid-October. When Rutherford checked in to his first game there was confusion over who he was since Rutherford wore #7 that game. Des had reported that Anderson had also been practicing that week as a FB. Anderson originally wore #7.

I guess where I'm going with this is that the staff has worked a few months with him, used him effectively for the Houston game and then benched him for the bowl game
That was a game where one explosive play could have changed the game.

I don't think Tyler is a good example since he started the Championship game in 2011 as a frosh and actually scored.

He executed on a gimmick play. Singular. One play.

Do you think that Temple and Marshall had somehow missed that play on the tape and wouldn't snuff it out the next time it was run?

I understand it was a BIG play and that it's going to live on in UConn lore for years (rightfully so), but that doesn't mean the guy deserves more reps. He's just not there talent-wise.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He executed on a gimmick play. Singular. One play.

Do you think that Temple and Marshall had somehow missed that play on the tape and wouldn't snuff it out the next time it was run?

I understand it was a BIG play and that it's going to live on in UConn lore for years (rightfully so), but that doesn't mean the guy deserves more reps. He's just not there talent-wise.

I think we're starting to dance around the same idea. I'm not saying run the same play. Use the same formation and run a different play from it. Something out of the ordinary

Reaction Score
I think we're starting to dance around the same idea. I'm not saying run the same play. Use the same formation and run a different play from it. Something out of the ordinary

Kind of. My point is that, there are no other plays. Anderson isn't good enough to make them happen.

Reaction Score
I suspect that he might not have earned the time in practice, but it sure would have been nice if the two balls thrown to the OT (one dropped the other caught but he then fell down with an open field) were thrown to someone used to handling the ball.

Reaction Score
Kind of. My point is that, there are no other plays. Anderson isn't good enough to make them happen.

Go back and watch that play ... then come back and tell us there were no other options from that formation.

I don't think Chin is making an argument for more playing time for Anderson. I believe he is asking "What happened to the creativity of an offensive game plan they had 3 weeks to put together?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go back and watch that play ... then come back and tell us there were no other options from that formation.

I don't think Chin is making an argument for more playing time for Anderson. I believe he is asking "What happened to the creativity of an offensive game plan they had 3 weeks to put together?"

Yes. I could have been more clear and precise and said I wanted to see the formation vice saying the play. It is indeed possible to run multiple plays from the same formation including plays where Anderson is on the field but doesn't touch the ball.

Reaction Score
I suspect that he might not have earned the time in practice, but it sure would have been nice if the two balls thrown to the OT (one dropped the other caught but he then fell down with an open field) were thrown to someone used to handling the ball.

hashemi played TE all last year. and got on the field some as a true frosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom