OT: Garage door openers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Garage door openers

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mine died. I do not feel like researching new ones.

What I want...

A fancy-ass garage door opener that is ridiculously over-engineered for what it does.

Reaction Score
Liftmaster / Chamberlin guy here also.
My wife loves the bells and whistles and return trips to see if you forgot to shut the door are a thing of the past.Its an obsession with her even though it’s always closed
Her car is also enabled so she has no need of an opener although she can close the door or view its status from her phone.
We have some critters out here that she would prefer not to take up residence in our garage .
Me I’m simple I like the very bright motion activated light, great for my current garage as there no inside light switch plus the garage light is pretty dull.
Tripping and falling in a dark garage are not good for a guy my age.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Need a little more info... what is the issue? Electronics or motor? Ours is dying a slow death, as we need to hold the one touch button until the door gets to the bottom. Its just a bad relay, but its too much trouble to fix.

I‘ve repaired it any number of times - the motor is failing now and there’s no saving it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So I see others on this thread also have wives who sometimes don't close the garage door when they leave the house. I ask my wife all the time how the heck can she do that so it's just good to know I'm not alone.

Good to know there are now garage door openers that are internet connected so you can check the door is closed when you're not home. Mine is about 10 years old so obviously doesn't have that capability but the rest of our house (all doors, lights, thermostats, etc.) is connected. I just hope the Russians don't hack our Wifi because we'd be ****ed.

It happens all the damned time.

Now we have the kid who will come home and leave it open after she goes inside. I’d rather it be shut when she’s home by herself.

Basically, I want the ability to close the thing from wherever.

Reaction Score
Can’t you change the frequency? Or channel of the frequency?
I tried that but it still kept opening at random times. I probably didn't do it correctly but the motor eventually went so we changed it anyways. I had mine installed professionally since I needed some of the additional hardware changed. It wasn't much more expensive than purchasing just the unit (I imagine they get a better price). Saved me a day of aggravation, well worth it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why is this thread still going on? The best post was within the first 10. Get a basic garage door opener without bells and whistles? <--This guy eats iceberg lettuce salads

Reaction Score
So I see others on this thread also have wives who sometimes don't close the garage door when they leave the house. I ask my wife all the time how the heck can she do that so it's just good to know I'm not alone.

Good to know there are now garage door openers that are internet connected so you can check the door is closed when you're not home. Mine is about 10 years old so obviously doesn't have that capability but the rest of our house (all doors, lights, thermostats, etc.) is connected. I just hope the Russians don't hack our Wifi because we'd be ****ed.

Why do wives forget to close garage doors? They are so concerned about so many other more petty things and yet this. I don't know how many times I've gotten up to let the dog out and low and behold we are sleeping with an easy entry into killing us and stealing everything. Amazing.

Reaction Score
Hilarious -- this thread just got me to check our current status. Garage wide open, door unlocked. Well done, family!

1585148617304.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Belt, not chain? I get quieter, but belts wear out.

I had to look a few weeks ago at new doors and openers. The company I was going through had a lifetime replacement on belts. So yes, belts will wear out, but if you go with a reputable company and brand you can get them replaced. I have zero idea how long they are supposed to last.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It happens all the damned time.

Now we have the kid who will come home and leave it open after she goes inside. I’d rather it be shut when she’s home by herself.

Basically, I want the ability to close the thing from wherever.

What about yelling at her to go close the door? Seems more your style.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Most have gone to cables on each edge of the door that attach to the bottom panel. The center rod types are pulling from the top panel. That adds considerable wear and tear as torsional force is added to the equation. The edge pull doors are much quieter as a result.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great answers everyone. I know Fishy personally and I'll say this.

Call Sears. Have them come put a new one in. Don't pay for the service plan.

For the next 15 years, you'll push the button and the door will open. Period.
BACK TO THE FUTURE
I remember Sears

Reaction Score
I'm glad this topic has come up. My garage door openers have difficulty activating from the remotes during the daytime. I often have to get out of the car and punch in the code on the outdoor mounted pad. As soon as the sun goes down they work perfectly from the car or the remote. Any suggestions?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm glad this topic has come up. My garage door openers have difficulty activating from the remotes during the daytime. I often have to get out of the car and punch in the code on the outdoor mounted pad. As soon as the sun goes down they work perfectly from the car or the remote. Any suggestions?
Don't come home until after sunset?

Reaction Score
Mine died. I do not feel like researching new ones.

What I want...

A fancy-ass garage door opener that is ridiculously over-engineered for what it does.

mines awesome: remote access, lights even has a module that checks and puts down toilet seats.

Reaction Score
Liftmaster / Chamberlin guy here also.
My wife loves the bells and whistles and return trips to see if you forgot to shut the door are a thing of the past.Its an obsession with her even though it’s always closed
Her car is also enabled so she has no need of an opener although she can close the door or view its status from her phone.
We have some critters out here that she would prefer not to take up residence in our garage .
Me I’m simple I like the very bright motion activated light, great for my current garage as there no inside light switch plus the garage light is pretty dull.
Tripping and falling in a dark garage are not good for a guy my age.
I forgot to mention it has a battery backup that works the door when you lose power
not an issue in AZ so much but it seems everytime I’m in Ct we have an outage

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I went with this one.

They had a version with a camera and ‘two way communication with your garage.’

I decided that I do not need to see or speak to my garage when I’m not in it.

Reaction Score
Don't come home until after sunset?
Could be related to the sending unit on the opener starting to go , having a a weak signal. Possibly there is less interference after dark or it’s coincidental.
Check the batteries in the opener itself that might do the trick but you never know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom