OT: Garage door openers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Garage door openers

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mine died. I do not feel like researching new ones.

What I want...

A fancy-ass garage door opener that is ridiculously over-engineered for what it does.

Reaction Score
Could be related to the sending unit on the opener starting to go , having a a weak signal. Possibly there is less interference after dark or it’s coincidental.
Check the batteries in the opener itself that might do the trick but you never know.
Both the handheld remote and the one in the car have trouble in daylight hours but the light on the unit comes on and the door doesn't open. In the dark they both work. I'm going to try resetting with different numbers today, and yes I changed the battery. Wondering about signal interference in daylight. This is vexing. Any engineers out there?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Wrapping this up.....my plans got corona’d, but we bought this one and it’s finally operational. It is needlessly fussy with an app, WiFi and even an LCD showing the time and temp. Perfect. I love that stuff.

Whisper quiet, too.

Great answers everyone. I know Fishy personally and I'll say this.

Call Sears. Have them come put a new one in. Don't pay for the service plan.

For the next 15 years, you'll push the button and the door will open. Period.

We have a company inspect and service the garage door every year or two...I had them install it. It took like four hours, but I don’t care - I wasn’t here. I just came home to a wonderful garage door opener.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We had a major garage door calamity right after the covid struck. I haven't been able to open my garage door in like 6 weeks. (we had the overhead door people look at and they said to leave everything alone until they can disassemble and replace it) Have another 3 weeks minimum until that happens. It blows dragging bikes and paddle boards through the house. I haven't fired up the snowblower and powered that through the house. Yet.

Reaction Score
There's a new generation of openers that have the motor on the side, near the door. No more rail running down the middle. Naturally, they're more expensive.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know the best ones, but avoid garage genie at all cost. They are terrible and require nearly monthly reprogramming.

Have two Genies and not my experience at all. Wife's bay still has the unit that came with the house when we bought it 18 years ago. Prior to today, only thing that went on her side was the spring, although today I did replace the sensors ($33) as we had recent flooding and the circuit board on one got wet.

I put a Genie in on my side about six years ago. No issues whatsoever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom