Gampel's Dome Sweats | The Boneyard

Gampel's Dome Sweats

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like this sentence.

Officials say they don't know what is causing the problem, but are confident the dehumidification system will fix it.

When does a solution to a problem you do not understand ever work? :eek:

Reaction Score
I know there isn't money for it, but UCONN needs to build a new arena, bad.

Reaction Score

And yet folks here argue that other schools making $500M over the next decade while UConn makes <$20M is no big deal and wont affect competitiveness.

Reaction Score
And yet folks here argue that other schools making $500M over the next decade while UConn makes <$20M is no big deal and wont affect competitiveness.
College athletics will become a relic for most schools. The 30 or 40 biggest name brands that can make it work will do so, but for everyone else it will be a slow fade. This move to the Big East is UConn's acknowledgement of that trend.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I like this sentence.

Officials say they don't know what is causing the problem, but are confident the dehumidification system will fix it.

They don't know what's causing the problem? Let's see - temperature and humidity differences between surfaces perhaps?

Reaction Score
They just spent $10mill just to fix the tiles. And it’s not enough. It will never be enough.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Hot air rises. Hot air hits cold air - condensation. It has taken over 25 years to figure this out? Absolutely amazing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like this sentence.

Hmm I wonder what the outcome will be. I'm going with over correction causing the floor to split.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Cad Cam programs have their limits.

Problems found in new ceiling at UConn’s Gampel Pavilion

Turns out 10000 screaming, sweating students put out a lot of moisture.

The tiles are "glued" to the exterior structure. Prudent engineering say, while awaiting to start repairs make measurement to exterior vs interior temps, humidity (expect it with 10,000 capacity and sweaty practices). Testing of the materials and attachment prior to their use seems mandatory on a project of this nature and it's cost. Uconn has a number of good engineering programs; if nothing more why not use this as a senior course in real life engineering, if only as a backup for the actual engineers. This Fiasco seems to have been an Engineering/Construction project worth millions!! This is the kind of project a properly written contract would be worth it's weight in repairs.
Just reading the title of this OP I expected to see Gampel wearing Uconn Sweats.

Reaction Score
When the talk started about building a training facility I suggested on the BY building a NEW Gampel where the TF is now and the NEW training facility where Gampel is now!
The new Gampel would have regular stadium seats (no bleacher seating) for 14,000 fans With all the present-day pluses that can present healthy lunches & dinners, from the best concessions plus the most modern bathrooms! It could even have luxury boxes up top for the high rollers!
Then UCONN wouldn't have to pay a fortune to the XL Center to rent a 1950's style arena and play all their games on campus except the few extras in Bridgeport, Mohegan Sun, etc.
They could have been so creative with the best WBB program in the nation!

Reaction Score
This has been an issue since the dome work was done several years ago. It has been a far more significant problem since that work was done as compared to the original. The contractor who did the upgrade work has stayed involved with trying to resolve the issue with limited success. They have been using a temporary de-humidification system since the problem appeared in the 1st season of use when the dome was repaired; it runs full-time when there are no events in Gampel & is removed when events take place (when in place, the temp system limits access to one of the entrances & impacts seating in a couple of sections).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom