Gampel | The Boneyard

Gampel

Reaction Score
Looking at URI's arena right now on CBSS. I have never been on board with diverting AD funds to the men's hockey program. They have chairbacks throughout the arena it looks like on the TV feed. Even if we renovate Gampel the bleachers risers behind the team benches do not have the dimensions to put in chairbacks. Add in the roof we just renovated and will need the same thing in the future, the whole building needs to be replaced to maximize the return to the Big East. Especially in light of an uncertain XL future. Our State is going to be money challenged for the foreseeable future. The money being thrown at a men's hockey arena could be better put to use for a future new basketball arena that seats 12,000 and has a much better layout, concessions, bathrooms, lighting and a better roof.

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
Looking at URI's arena right now on CBSS. I have never been on board with diverting AD funds to the men's hockey program. They have chairbacks throughout the arena it looks like on the TV feed. Even if we renovate Gampel the bleachers risers behind the team benches do not have the dimensions to put in chairbacks. Add in the roof we just renovated and will need the same thing in the future, the whole building needs to be replaced to maximize the return to the Big East. Especially in light of an uncertain XL future. Our State is going to be money challenged for the foreseeable future. The money being thrown at a men's hockey arena could be better put to use for a future new basketball arena that seats 12,000 and has a much better layout, concessions, bathrooms, lighting and a better roof.
it is better to stay quiet and let them think you're stupid, than to speak and remove all doubt

Reaction Score
Do students go to the hockey games or care?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm not a student but I've been to a UCONN hockey game at the XL. Didn't see a huge student presence. I'd say the product is at least as good as the Wolfpack. I haven't been to any other college hockey games though, so I cannot compare to others.

Reaction Score
I’m going to the hockey tournament in Bridgeport this month. It will be my first UConn hockey game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I’m going to the hockey tournament in Bridgeport this month. It will be my first UConn hockey game.
I saw that advertised. Looks cool. Like a CT Beanpot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Bridgeport arena is surprisingly good. Just allow yourself like 45 minutes of extra time because the parking there is an absolutely nuclear level nightmare.
Train is the key. I’ve actually parked in Stratford and taken the train one stop there and back just to avoid the cluster.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do students go to the hockey games or care?
They do go but there’s no hockey culture built and the atmosphere is nothing compared to other places.

Reaction Score
Gampel was built for $28 million finished in 1990. It was built on the cheap for many reasons but remember the corner seats were not there. The corner bleacher seats have some extra room but not much. The roof needed repair by 2015 and $10 million was spent giving the roof an expected 10 to 15 year extension in lifespan with the job finished by 2018. So in 10 to 15 years we do it all over again? Then a condensation problem was discovered with a fix that includes better Wi-fi coming in at $1.8 million. As homeowners know a condensation problem can quickly lead to a mold problem which is a big deal. With all the seams in the roofing structure we are told there are no leaks but with aluminium and all the hot /cold stresses this system will need to be changed permanently in the near future.
My point is there are major limiting factors to really improving the existing structure to be a modern arena even if we spent another pile of money on a concourse improvement. There is a real decision to be made here with State financial constraints seeming endless. This is the same boat the XL is in. With UConn committing big money to a new hockey arena they will be unable to really deal with Gampel's problems.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Have no idea why people think the OP said something stupid. I'm always for

"better layout, concessions, bathrooms, lighting and a better roof", sans maybe the roof which doesn't phase me

Reaction Score
Was at GP last nite for the game and it's a great venue especially when we have a good team.. I like the XL also a much better place than MSG etc..

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac has a small but nice hockey arena and a quality team
I can attest to this as an alum. Both men's and women's teams seem to be doing well. Its a combo, basketball arena and hockey arena unlike the XL center. On the mount Carmel campus a stones throw from main campus and a walk for most upper classmen that live up top. Always a good atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Coachn is my favorite new poster, he's doubling down on the the XL Center being better than MSG. That's like saying Lena Dunham is hotter than Gal Gadot.
I'm one to talk, but he's never short of bold takes. Especially about the players on the team

Reaction Score
The OP makes a great point and something I've been thinking about too. The next few years are important years to upgrade Gampel just incase XL ever shut down. If XL shut down and they needed to do major work to Gampel where would they play?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Put a bubble over The Rent and play there.

j/k I think

Reaction Score
Coachn is my favorite new poster, he's doubling down on the the XL Center being better than MSG. That's like saying Lena Dunham is hotter than Gal Gadot.

The smell of the bathroom, random whining noise, and uncomfortable seating keep me awake during games against UNH. Put that game in MSG and I'm out like a light by halftime. I know he's an older guy, I would imagine it's a contributing factor to his analysis as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom