Gampel advice - bringing my 4 yo | The Boneyard

Gampel advice - bringing my 4 yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm bringing my 4 y/o daughter to the game Sunday - it'll be my first game since the Buffalo FB/BB doubleheader many moons ago. The plan is to drive down (we're in MA) around noon, go to Storrs Center to eat and then walk over to the game. I have a few questions I hope folks can help with:
  • How are the crowds at the restaurants before games? Is Geno's Grille going to be packed?
  • Any suggestions on where to park? With a little one, I don't want to do too much walking - I am hoping for parking neat SC and then a brisk walk over to Gampel.
  • Are there family restrooms in Gampel?
  • Will the dairy barn be a madhouse after the game?
  • Anything I should bring her to see/do while we're there?
Thanks in advance.......

Reaction Score
Crowds at some of restaurants are pretty crowded. I have never done Geno's before a game but Dog Lane Cafe can be pretty mobbed. Good news is that it is UCF and fan apathy based on results might temper crowds slightly.
I park in South Campus it is not a bad walk and pretty easy in and easy out
No family restrooms in Gampel that I know of...restrooms for either sex are on opposite sides of arena...no issue bringing her into mens room I would think to use a stall
Dairy barn is crowded after game all but guaranteed- but they handle crowds really well...even if mobbed wait is not all that bad...parking over there is a different story...but you should be in and out within 10 min---15 absolute max (just went a few weeks back and had no issues)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No family restrooms, just your run of the mill sporting event mega washrooms, but they are significantly more subdued and maneuverable than the monstrosities at NFL games. Also a good place to eat with a kid would be Red Rock cafe (not walking distance but good and kid friendly and still very close by) or Moes.

Reaction Score
Blue Cow in the Student Union serves Dairy Bar ice cream. May also be packed and they have less of a selection but might be worth it with a little one considering the parking hassle of the barn.

Reaction Score
Just remember you can mostly park on the street on weekends so long as there is no signage that states otherwise. I've parked on the hill up to C-Lot/Busby and the dirt lot next to it many times with no issues. Parking in the lot/grass next to the library/West is always a good option, too. North and Northwest parking lots will be open, as will the lots behind Shippee and Buckley. If you're going to Storrs Center just park behind Buckley. No one will stop you and there should be available spots. There is no one ticketing on campus during the weekend

Reaction Score
I'm bringing my 4 y/o daughter to the game Sunday - it'll be my first game since the Buffalo FB/BB doubleheader many moons ago. The plan is to drive down (we're in MA) around noon, go to Storrs Center to eat and then walk over to the game. I have a few questions I hope folks can help with:
  • How are the crowds at the restaurants before games? Is Geno's Grille going to be packed?
  • Any suggestions on where to park? With a little one, I don't want to do too much walking - I am hoping for parking neat SC and then a brisk walk over to Gampel.
  • Are there family restrooms in Gampel?
  • Will the dairy barn be a madhouse after the game?
  • Anything I should bring her to see/do while we're there?
Thanks in advance..
Good luck. Be prepared to change all your plans at a whim. Otherwise, enjoy.

Reaction Score
I would park at the Storrs Center first, pretty sure you can get free parking there for 2 hours. Then I would drive over to the lot behind McMahon or south garage and park there for the game. Storrs Center and Gampel are pretty far away, especially for a young one.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Good luck. Be prepared to change all your plans at a whim. Otherwise, enjoy.
She's attended three football games plus two spring games, so I'm confident that technically speaking she can make it through the game. That said, we took 5 trips to the bathroom during the first half of the Navy game. Your point is well taken.

Reaction Score
She's attended three football games plus two spring games, so I'm confident that technically speaking she can make it through the game. That said, we took 5 trips to the bathroom during the first half of the Navy game. Your point is well taken.
That's great... but she's drinking too much beer if she's going that often. ;^)

Reaction Score
Damn if I knew there were 4 year olds at the football game I probably would of behaved a tad better.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Damn if I knew there were 4 year olds at the football game I probably would of behaved a tad better.
Don't worry, I'm sure you fit right in. :D

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice. Got there at noon, ate at Geno's Grille. We got the next to last table before it was booked out for reservations. We drove over and parked in the lot behind south garage. The game was fun, my daughter especially enjoyed the halftime show. Three observations from someone who normally just watches on TV:
  • I never realized how big a fan favorite Phil was. He was like the Boo Willingham of my student days.
  • Dang those ceiling tiles suck. It puts more perspective on the jokes when you see them in person.
  • Gampel is still a really solid facility. Fix the ceiling tiles, but otherwise it's a great place to watch a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom