Gameday - UConn @ Seton Hall 7:00 pm ET | The Boneyard

Gameday - UConn @ Seton Hall 7:00 pm ET

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The No. 2 UConn women's basketball team (3-1) begins BIG EAST Conference play tonight at Seton Hall (3-2) at 7 p.m. ET at Walsh Gymnasium. The game will air on SNY and the UConn Sports Network. This will be UConn's first game in 11 days. The Huskies' last contest was a 73-57 loss to No. 1 South Carolina in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game.

UConn is 53-10 all-time vs. Seton Hall. In UConn's first season back in the BIG EAST last year, the Huskies took both games vs. the Pirates. Paige Bueckers averaged 24.0 points per game vs. Seton Hall last season. The Huskies have won the last 33 matchups with the Pirates. Both of junior Aubrey Griffin's parents attended Seton Hall. Her father played basketball while her mother competed in track & field for the Pirates. Similar to last season, Park-Lane and Espinoza-Hunter lead the team with 19.0 and 18.2 points per game, respectively, while Cooks chips in 15.3 on average. The Pirates are averaging 72.8 points per game on 40.7% shooting (36.3% on 3s). Last season, Park-Lane caused all sorts of problems and dropped 29 on UConn in the second meeting of the season.

“That little Allen Iverson Jr. (Park-Lane) lit us up. She’s back. She’s really good,” Auriemma said. “So we’ve got our hands full with her. They’ve got a couple of new guys, they’ve lost a couple guys, but they play the same. They’re gonna shoot the 3, spread the floor, put a little bit of pressure on you.”

There were basketball-specific issues that differentiate the two, ones Auriemma says the Huskies addressed in their last week of practice. For Auriemma, the underlying cause of what happened down the stretch last Monday was a “mental fatigue” and lack of “mental toughness” that he and staff have harped on even more than usual as of late. Friday’s game at Seton Hall will be the Huskies’ first chance to see how all that work translates to actual gameplay, but Auriemma affirms he’s already seen growth. “Really good,” Auriemma said regarding how the team responded to the challenge. “I’ve been pleasantly surprised. We really, really, really challenged them. Really challenged them.”

Seton Hall Roster - Head coach Anthony Bozzella (9th Season)
Seton Hall game notes

LAST GAME • Seton Hall bounced back with an exciting 68-63 overtime victory against Toledo on Friday at the Cancun Challenge • Lauren Park-Lane had a game-high 19 points to go with a season-high nine assists • Andra Espinoza-Hunter had 18 points, five rebounds, three assists and two stels • Espinoza-Hunter drained two free-throws with just over a minute left in regulation to send the game into overtime and the Pirates never trailed in the extra session.

Seton Hall probable starters, sixth man:

Lauren Park-Lane, G, 5-6, Jr.; Mya Jackson, G, 5-7, Jr.; Andra Espinoza-Hunter, G/F, 5-11, Gr.; Sidney Cooks, F, 6-4, R-Sr.; Katie Armstrong, G/F, 6-2, Gr.; Mya Bembry, F, 6-1, Jr.

Here’s the details on tonight's game:

Site:
Walsh Gymnasium (1,284) South Orange, New Jersey.
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Series: UConn leads, 53-10
Last meeting: No. 2 UConn 70, Seton Hall 49, Feb. 10, 2021, in Storrs.
TV: SNY (Meghan Culmo, Allen Bestwick, Maria Marino)
Stream: In-market SNY viewers with access to the network can watch via the NBC Sports app: http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny. Out-of-market viewers can watch on the Fox Sports App or at https://www.foxsports.com/ as well as on the FOX Now app or at www.fox.com/sports. The games might not appear on those sites until right around tipoff.
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN (Bob Joyce, Debbie Fiske) Pre-game show airs 30 minutes before the tip.

UConn Roster - Head coach Geno Auriemma (37th year)
UConn game notes
UConn season stats
UConn Women's 2021 Media Guide

UConn probable starters, sixth man:

Christyn Williams, G, 5-11, Sr.; Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F, 6-5, Sr.; Evina Westbrook, G, 6-0, R-Sr.; Paige Bueckers, G, 5-11, So.; Aaliyah Edwards, F, 6-3, So.; Nika Mühl, G, 5-10, So.

Massey sez: #4 UConn 79 - #101 Seton Hall 64

Azzi Fudd out “for a while” due to foot injury

Aubrey Griffin downgraded to out this weekend with ankle, back injuries

#BIGEASTwbb Minute: Conference Play Tips Off Friday

Last night's scores in WCBB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In preparation for watching tonight's game, I went back and watched the UCONN-Seton Hall game of 2/10/2021.
AWFUL!!
UCONN pretty much stunk up the place (at home, to boot) in the first quarter & a half
Even Paige looked like she was a million miles away. Everybody else, except maybe Aubrey were misfiring.
Dumb turnovers, no movement on offense, no moxie.
Geno woke them up at halftime.
Curious to see if they come out with a purpose tonight and show some fire from the get-go.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In preparation for watching tonight's game, I went back and watched the UCONN-Seton Hall game of 2/10/2021.
AWFUL!!
UCONN pretty much stunk up the place (at home, to boot) in the first quarter & a half
Even Paige looked like she was a million miles away. Everybody else, except maybe Aubrey were misfiring.
Dumb turnovers, no movement on offense, no moxie.
Geno woke them up at halftime.
Curious to see if they come out with a purpose tonight and show some fire from the get-go.
That game was after our emotional win against SC and I suppose we were a little too full of ourselves. Ironically, this game is after a SC drubbing so no way can we come out flat.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Carnac, for all your prep time, and your customary cover-all-the-bases approach.

I'm perhaps most looking forward to seeing who's first off the bench, whether it be Nika or Dorka. Could be that Seton Hall's personnel will dictate Geno goes more to Nika, but I'd like to see Dorka and Caroline getting plenty of court time. That direction is where I believe the Huskies will be at their best down the road, with healthy Azzi and Aubrey hopefully in the mix, too.

That said, just to be clear, I'd love to see Nika play a great game and fire up her teammates for a big win. Go, Huskies!

Reaction Score
SH's only chance is to bomb away from the outside.........Espinosa Hunter leads SH in scoring and rebounding......she and Jackson are their primary three point shooters although post playing Cooks is shooting .450% from three......I expect ONO, Edwards and Juhasz to have big games......

Reaction Score
This is a BE opponent. UCONN will win big. Some players will have big games. We will learn very little about how they would perform against top competition.

This message could (but won’t) be repeated over 20 times this season.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I noticed in the Xfinity schedule that there is a pre-game half hour on SNY at 6:30; I assume the usual suspects. Might have been a last minute re-scheduling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I noticed in the Xfinity schedule that there is a pre-game half hour on SNY at 6:30; I assume the usual suspects. Might have been a last minute re-scheduling.
Yes and looking forward to it. I just hope they keep the NIL stuff out of it. I know Kara had strong negative feelings about it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thanks, Carnac, for all your prep time, and your customary cover-all-the-bases approach.

I'm perhaps most looking forward to seeing who's first off the bench, whether it be Nika or Dorka. Could be that Seton Hall's personnel will dictate Geno goes more to Nika, but I'd like to see Dorka and Caroline getting plenty of court time. That direction is where I believe the Huskies will be at their best down the road, with healthy Azzi and Aubrey hopefully in the mix, too.

That said, just to be clear, I'd love to see Nika play a great game and fire up her teammates for a big win. Go, Huskies!
You know, I would not be knocked off my chair if Nika started tonight. Probably not, but it wouldn't shock the world.

Carnac

Reaction Score
SH's only chance is to bomb away from the outside.........Espinosa Hunter leads SH in scoring and rebounding......she and Jackson are their primary three point shooters although post playing Cooks is shooting .450% from three......I expect ONO, Edwards and Juhasz to have big games......
If ONO, Edwards and Juhasz can’t/don’t have BIG games against BE teams, then who? :eek: These three should look/play like All-Americans against BE teams.

Reaction Score
The No. 2 UConn women's basketball team (3-1) begins BIG EAST Conference play tonight at Seton Hall (3-2) at 7 p.m. ET at Walsh Gymnasium. The game will air on SNY and the UConn Sports Network. This will be UConn's first game in 11 days. The Huskies' last contest was a 73-57 loss to No. 1 South Carolina in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game.

UConn is 53-10 all-time vs. Seton Hall. In UConn's first season back in the BIG EAST last year, the Huskies took both games vs. the Pirates. Paige Bueckers averaged 24.0 points per game vs. Seton Hall last season. The Huskies have won the last 33 matchups with the Pirates. Both of junior Aubrey Griffin's parents attended Seton Hall. Her father played basketball while her mother competed in track & field for the Pirates. Similar to last season, Park-Lane and Espinoza-Hunter lead the team with 19.0 and 18.2 points per game, respectively, while Cooks chips in 15.3 on average. The Pirates are averaging 72.8 points per game on 40.7% shooting (36.3% on 3s). Last season, Park-Lane caused all sorts of problems and dropped 29 on UConn in the second meeting of the season.

“That little Allen Iverson Jr. (Park-Lane) lit us up. She’s back. She’s really good,” Auriemma said. “So we’ve got our hands full with her. They’ve got a couple of new guys, they’ve lost a couple guys, but they play the same. They’re gonna shoot the 3, spread the floor, put a little bit of pressure on you.”

There were basketball-specific issues that differentiate the two, ones Auriemma says the Huskies addressed in their last week of practice. For Auriemma, the underlying cause of what happened down the stretch last Monday was a “mental fatigue” and lack of “mental toughness” that he and staff have harped on even more than usual as of late. Friday’s game at Seton Hall will be the Huskies’ first chance to see how all that work translates to actual gameplay, but Auriemma affirms he’s already seen growth. “Really good,” Auriemma said regarding how the team responded to the challenge. “I’ve been pleasantly surprised. We really, really, really challenged them. Really challenged them.”

Seton Hall game notes

LAST GAME • Seton Hall bounced back with an exciting 68-63 overtime victory against Toledo on Friday at the Cancun Challenge • Lauren Park-Lane had a game-high 19 points to go with a season-high nine assists • Andra Espinoza-Hunter had 18 points, five rebounds, three assists and two stels • Espinoza-Hunter drained two free-throws with just over a minute left in regulation to send the game into overtime and the Pirates never trailed in the extra session.

Lauren Park-Lane, G, 5-6, Jr.; Mya Jackson, G, 5-7, Jr.; Andra Espinoza-Hunter, G/F, 5-11, Gr.; Sidney Cooks, F, 6-4, R-Sr.; Katie Armstrong, G/F, 6-2, Gr.; Mya Bembry, F, 6-1, Jr.

Site:
Stream: In-market SNY viewers with access to the network can watch via the NBC Sports app: http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny. Out-of-market viewers can watch on the Fox Sports App or at https://www.foxsports.com/ as well as on the FOX Now app or at www.fox.com/sports. The games might not appear on those sites until right around tipoff.
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN (Bob Joyce, Debbie Fiske) Pre-game show airs 30 minutes before the tip.

UConn game notes
UConn season stats

Christyn Williams, G, 5-11, Sr.; Olivia Nelson-Ododa, F, 6-5, Sr.; Evina Westbrook, G, 6-0, R-Sr.; Paige Bueckers, G, 5-11, So.; Aaliyah Edwards, F, 6-3, So.; Nika Mühl, G, 5-10, So.

Carnac, as always you provide such great information, thanks.

Reaction Score
Espinosa Hunter is out tonight.

Reaction Score

Seton Hall game notes

Site:

UConn game notes
UConn season stats

Wow, the work you put into this AND comprehensive. Great job. Amazing detail, love em.

Reaction Score
If ONO, Edwards and Juhasz can’t/don’t have BIG games against BE teams, then who? :eek: These three should look/play like All-Americans against BE teams.
True, very true. If not now When? To win it all, it begins here with effort, concentration, and above all else Scoring and D.

Carnac

Reaction Score
and her coach was just quoted as saying how much she had matured since her UConn days......:oops:
I was surprised to hear of AEH’s suspension. She's a graduate senior and one of the oldest players on the team, as well as a leader. She’s not leading, nor is she showing the maturity a player her age should exhibit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom