Gameday Preview - UConn @ Georgia Tech Thurs Dec 9 7:00 pm ET | The Boneyard

Gameday Preview - UConn @ Georgia Tech Thurs Dec 9 7:00 pm ET

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn women visit the peach state of Georgia Thursday (TV: ESPN2 - Radio: UConn Sports Network) 7:00 pm ET tip - to take on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-2). This is the homecoming game for Huskies senior post player Olivia Nelson-Ododa who is from nearby Winder Ga., and Winder Barrow High School.

Who/what is Georgia Tech?

Full Name: Georgia Institute of Technology - Location: Atlanta, Ga. Enrollment: 39,772 - Nicknames: Ramblin’ Wreck, Yellow Jackets - Colors: Old Gold and White - Arena: McCamish Pavilion (8,600)

Commonly referred to as Georgia Tech or, in the state of Georgia, as Tec is a public research university and institute of technology. It is part of the University System of Georgia and has satellite campuses in Savannah, Georgia; Metz, France; Athlone, Ireland; Shenzhen, China; and Singapore. Georgia Tech is a member of the Coastal Division in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

KEY RETURNEES: Lorela Cubaj F 5th yr - Kierra Fletcher G 5th Yr - Lotta-Maj Lahtinen G Sr - Nerea Hermosa F Jr - Loyal McQueen G So.

Tech 2021-2022 Roster

Head Coach: Nell Fortner (Texas, 1982) – 3rd season. [Bio]
Nell Fortner was named the sixth head coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history on April 9, 2019. She begins her third year at the helm on The Flats in 2021-22. One of the most successful coaches in women’s basketball history, Fortner has compiled a 342-207 (.623) record as a head coach at the collegiate, professional and international levels.

She has led teams to Big Ten (Purdue – 1997) and Southeastern Conference (Auburn – 2009) championships and coached the U.S. national team to three international titles, including the gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Most recently, Fortner guided the Yellow Jackets to a 2021 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance.

Tech's Last game: 12/5 vs Georgia - [Box score]
Behind three Yellow Jackets in double-figures, Georgia Tech women’s basketball captured a 55-54 victory over No. 20/19 Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday. It marked the second consecutive win in Athens for Georgia Tech and handed the Lady Bulldogs their first loss of the season.

61ad286359442.image.jpg

Georgia guard Mikayla Coombs (4) works against Georgia Tech's Avyonce Carter (15).

Behind three Yellow Jackets in double-figures, Georgia Tech women’s basketball captured a 55-54 victory over No. 19 Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday. It marked the second consecutive win in Athens for Georgia Tech and handed the Bulldogs their first loss of the season. Tech (6-2) trailed by as many as 11 points in the third quarter after Georgia (7-1) opened the frame with an 11-2 run to take a 36-25 lead. But the Jackets trimmed the score to a single possession immediately in the fourth quarter. After the teams traded baskets, Sarah Bates drained a 3-pointer to return the lead to Tech for the final time, 49-47, with 3:47 to play in the fourth.

Leading by two, Nerea Hermosa hit a pair of clutch free throws with 8.8 ticks on the clock, to setup a 55-51 tally before Georgia’s Sarah Ashlee Barker cut it to one, 55-54, with 4.5 seconds to go. Georgia got a final shot off, but it was off the mark as the Yellow Jackets sealed its second-ever win in Athens. To start the game, Eylia Love dominated the opening frame, dropping nine points as the Yellow Jackets claimed a 13-9 edge after the first 10 minutes. But the Lady Bulldogs slowly chipped away at its deficit and outscored Tech in the second quarter to carry a slight 25-23 advantage into halftime. Securing eight rebounds in the first half, Lorela Cubaj joined the elite 1,000-career rebound club, and led the Jackets on the glass who took the battle, 20-14, in the first 20 minutes.

Hermosa and Love led the Jackets offensively, each chipping in 14 points, while Cubaj added 11 to the scoreboard. Tech won the battle on the glass, 44-37, paced by 15 rebounds from Cubaj and eight from Hermosa. For the game, Tech shot 36.8 percent from the field. Georgia was led by Que Morrison with 15 points and Jenna Staiti with six rebounds. The Lady Bulldogs shot 35.9 percent from the floor and were limited to a 4-of-6 effort at the free throw line. Tech (6-2) trailed by as many as 11 points in the third quarter after Georgia (7-1) opened the frame with an 11-2 run to take a 36-25 lead. But the Jackets trimmed the score to a single possession immediately in the fourth quarter. After the teams traded baskets, Sarah Bates drained a three-pointer to return the lead to Tech for the final time, 49-47, with 3:47 to play in the fourth.

Leading by two, Nerea Hermosa hit a pair of clutch free throws with 8.8 ticks on the clock, to setup a 55-51 tally before Georgia’s Sarah Ashlee Barker cut it to one, 55-54, with 4.5 seconds to go. Georgia got a final shot off, but it was off the mark as the Yellow Jackets sealed its second-ever win in Athens.

2021-22 Georgia Tech Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games

Quick facts/roster of the Georgia Tech Women's Basketball program -

Reaction Score
The UConn women visit the peach state of Georgia Thursday (TV: ESPN2 - Radio: UConn Sports Network) 7:00 pm ET tip - to take on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-2). This is the homecoming game for Huskies senior post player Olivia Nelson-Ododa who is from nearby Winder Ga., and Winder Barrow High School.

Who/what is Georgia Tech?

Full Name: Georgia Institute of Technology - Location: Atlanta, Ga. Enrollment: 39,772 - Nicknames: Ramblin’ Wreck, Yellow Jackets - Colors: Old Gold and White - Arena: McCamish Pavilion (8,600)

Commonly referred to as Georgia Tech or, in the state of Georgia, as Tec is a public research university and institute of technology. It is part of the University System of Georgia and has satellite campuses in Savannah, Georgia; Metz, France; Athlone, Ireland; Shenzhen, China; and Singapore. Georgia Tech is a member of the Coastal Division in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

KEY RETURNEES: Lorela Cubaj F 5th yr - Kierra Fletcher G 5th Yr - Lotta-Maj Lahtinen G Sr - Nerea Hermosa F Jr - Loyal McQueen G So.

Tech 2021-2022 Roster

Head Coach: Nell Fortner (Texas, 1982) – 3rd season. [Bio]
Nell Fortner was named the sixth head coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history on April 9, 2019. She begins her third year at the helm on The Flats in 2021-22. One of the most successful coaches in women’s basketball history, Fortner has compiled a 342-207 (.623) record as a head coach at the collegiate, professional and international levels.

She has led teams to Big Ten (Purdue – 1997) and Southeastern Conference (Auburn – 2009) championships and coached the U.S. national team to three international titles, including the gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Most recently, Fortner guided the Yellow Jackets to a 2021 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance.

Tech's Last game: 12/5 vs Georgia - [Box score]
Behind three Yellow Jackets in double-figures, Georgia Tech women’s basketball captured a 55-54 victory over No. 20/19 Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday. It marked the second consecutive win in Athens for Georgia Tech and handed the Lady Bulldogs their first loss of the season.

61ad286359442.image.jpg

Georgia guard Mikayla Coombs (4) works against Georgia Tech's Avyonce Carter (15).

Behind three Yellow Jackets in double-figures, Georgia Tech women’s basketball captured a 55-54 victory over No. 19 Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday. It marked the second consecutive win in Athens for Georgia Tech and handed the Bulldogs their first loss of the season. Tech (6-2) trailed by as many as 11 points in the third quarter after Georgia (7-1) opened the frame with an 11-2 run to take a 36-25 lead. But the Jackets trimmed the score to a single possession immediately in the fourth quarter. After the teams traded baskets, Sarah Bates drained a 3-pointer to return the lead to Tech for the final time, 49-47, with 3:47 to play in the fourth.

Leading by two, Nerea Hermosa hit a pair of clutch free throws with 8.8 ticks on the clock, to setup a 55-51 tally before Georgia’s Sarah Ashlee Barker cut it to one, 55-54, with 4.5 seconds to go. Georgia got a final shot off, but it was off the mark as the Yellow Jackets sealed its second-ever win in Athens. To start the game, Eylia Love dominated the opening frame, dropping nine points as the Yellow Jackets claimed a 13-9 edge after the first 10 minutes. But the Lady Bulldogs slowly chipped away at its deficit and outscored Tech in the second quarter to carry a slight 25-23 advantage into halftime. Securing eight rebounds in the first half, Lorela Cubaj joined the elite 1,000-career rebound club, and led the Jackets on the glass who took the battle, 20-14, in the first 20 minutes.

Hermosa and Love led the Jackets offensively, each chipping in 14 points, while Cubaj added 11 to the scoreboard. Tech won the battle on the glass, 44-37, paced by 15 rebounds from Cubaj and eight from Hermosa. For the game, Tech shot 36.8 percent from the field. Georgia was led by Que Morrison with 15 points and Jenna Staiti with six rebounds. The Lady Bulldogs shot 35.9 percent from the floor and were limited to a 4-of-6 effort at the free throw line. Tech (6-2) trailed by as many as 11 points in the third quarter after Georgia (7-1) opened the frame with an 11-2 run to take a 36-25 lead. But the Jackets trimmed the score to a single possession immediately in the fourth quarter. After the teams traded baskets, Sarah Bates drained a three-pointer to return the lead to Tech for the final time, 49-47, with 3:47 to play in the fourth.

Leading by two, Nerea Hermosa hit a pair of clutch free throws with 8.8 ticks on the clock, to setup a 55-51 tally before Georgia’s Sarah Ashlee Barker cut it to one, 55-54, with 4.5 seconds to go. Georgia got a final shot off, but it was off the mark as the Yellow Jackets sealed its second-ever win in Athens.

2021-22 Georgia Tech Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games

Quick facts/roster of the Georgia Tech Women's Basketball program -
You put in a lot of time and effort on this--thanks. One question and it is serious (at least to me) --what are Uconn chances 1. with Paige 2. without her

Carnac

Reaction Score
You put in a lot of time and effort on this--thanks. One question and it is serious (at least to me) --what are Uconn chances 1. with Paige 2. without her
Thanks for the nod. :) As to your question, if Paige is able to play, I’m going to assume she is well enough and healthy enough to do everything she normally does during the course and scope of a game. In short, if she plays, we win. The other players will not feel as much pressure to step up if she is on the floor, but will contribute as much as they can.

If she’s not able to answer the bell: UConn can still win if: ONO is able to show up and show out by reprising her efforts (14 pts/13 reb) as she did against Notre Dame. Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and either Caroline or Dorka are able to have an “exceptional” game. Any 3 players can carry this team against Tech.

Perhaps Christyn will have a 20+ point game, Evina will score 12-16 points, Caroline, Dorka and Aaliyah will score in double figures. I’m also assuming the team will want to win this game for Olivia, and will do whatever necessary to make it happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the nod. :) As to your question, if Paige is able to play, I’m going to assume she is well enough and healthy enough to do everything she normally does during the course and scope of a game. In short, if she plays, we win. The other players will not feel as much pressure to step up if she is on the floor, but will contribute as much as they can.

If she’s not able to answer the bell: UConn can still win if: ONO is able to show up and show out by reprising her efforts (14 pts/13 reb) as she did against Notre Dame. Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and either Caroline or Dorka are able to have an “exceptional” game. Any 3 players can carry this team against Tech.

Perhaps Christyn will have a 20+ point game, Evina will score 12-16 points, Caroline, Dorka and Aaliyah will score in double figures. I’m also assuming the team will want to win this game for Olivia, and will do whatever necessary to make it happen.
As much as I'd love it, the odds of PB playing this week are slim to none even if the MRI shows nothing............if she was at full strength, it would likely be a 12-20 point victory for UConn, without her I'd say UConn would still be favored but only by 5-8 points.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Loyal Mcqueen entered the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Loyal Mcqueen entered the transfer portal.
she'd only played in their first three games this year averaging 27 minutes and 4.7 points per game.......started a bunch of games last year averaging almost nine points a game....no idea what happened.....she verbally committed to UNC before changing her mind......

Reaction Score
Thanks for the detailed report! I found some highlights from Georgia Tech's last game: .

Carnac

Reaction Score
As much as I'd love it, the odds of PB playing this week are slim to none even if the MRI shows nothing............if she was at full strength, it would likely be a 12-20 point victory for UConn, without her I'd say UConn would still be favored but only by 5-8 points.....
I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I'm guessing here. I just tried to answer Ball n's query. Time will tell. Remember when we though Nika would not play the next game after suffering an injury last year, but he did? Stranger things have happened. I tend to agree with you. Teenagers heal quickly and recover a lot faster than we do, but that looked like a serious injury to me.

It was reported that she was walking around after the game, and when asked how was feeling, she said "I'll be fine". That does not mean she'll play Thursday. No predictions here. I'll just wait like everyone else for the "official" release of her condition (and expected return) from the basketball office or Geno. I agree that if UConn can play for 40 minutes the way they played Notre Dame and cut the turnovers in half, they should win. I'd love to see ONO have a breakout game in front of her family and friends. Massey sez: UConn wins 63-55.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom