Game Thread: USA vs. France - Fri. 2:15 p.m. ESPN3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Thread: USA vs. France - Fri. 2:15 p.m. ESPN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
USA playing so much better than I've seen in this tournament...still letting Gruda have open shots, but she isn't killing them like in the exhibition.

BRING ON STEWIE.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Gotta run...have to watch the rest of the game tomorrow!!:eek:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA started the game 14-14 from the field with another 8 or so free throws. And then the shooting got terrible - Tina with the first miss and it became contagious! USA finishes the half shooting 79% after being at 100% for the first quarter - ugh!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I LOVE watching Augustus on offense. She has such a beautiful game. That jumper is a thing of beauty.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA also shooting only 7-10 from the free throw line!
Good news - USA commits a total of 5 fouls - no one with more than 1.

Reaction Score
The new and mellow Auriemma. Surprised Geno is remaining so calm because France cannot score inside, yet his perimeter defenders are consistently going UNDER the picks/screens allowing France to get long but decent shots off. I know they're pros, but if this game were in Storrs, and his 'guys' were defending the "3" like that, Geno would go ballistic.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
France in their exhibition win outscored USA 50-34 in the 2nd half. Don't expect the same to happen today. However, can't expect USA to shoot 79% in 2nd half

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well maybe that was their game plan, give up the 3 on certain players and not let Gruda dominate in the paint. BG has obviously changed what Gruda did last game so we will see the 2nd half game plan coming up.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very odd to see Griner miss so many FTs. She's usually money from the line.

Reaction Score
Stewie may dominate in college ball, and she's still a kid, but if she wants to compete on the next level. she'd better hit the weight room- she got pushed around badly today.

Reaction Score
NHL Time: 3rd star of the game- Lindsey Whalen
2nd star of the game- Maya Moore
1st star of the game- Britney Griner

Reaction Score
Interesting how the top 3 teams in the tournament (USA, France, Australia) are all in the same bracket while host country Turkey is in the other bracket facing significantly weaker opposition. An uninformed seeding committee? Coincidence? I think not. Brazen homecooking that will ultimately not matter.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims looks completely at home on this team and playing against older players. She can really push the ball up the court and also get into the lane. She is perfect for the international game and is going to have a long career with Team USA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting how the top 3 teams in the tournament (USA, France, Australia) are all in the same bracket while host country Turkey is in the other bracket facing significantly weaker opposition. An uninformed seeding committee? Coincidence? I think not. Brazen homecooking that will ultimately not matter.
I believe Spain won the last Eurobasket tournament and not France. France would have avoided the USA if they won their group but they lost to Turkey.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - watched some of the Turkey Serbia game and Serbia gave Turkey all they could handle - announcers seemed to think they were being a bit hard done by on the foul calls. I doubt Turkey gets past Spain and I hope they don't - home cooking is always a little iffy and would prefer that taken out of the equation for a possible gold medal game.
I find it a little odd that the losers brackets are set-up with two repeat games from the group stage - France/Canada and Serbia/China, but I guess that happened because the play in round included #3 seeds Canada and China over #2 seeds.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
She's shooting her FT with the goggles covering her eyes. Probably should lift the goggles off her eyes when shooting FT's.
Very odd to see Griner miss so many FTs. She's usually money from the line.

Reaction Score
Sims looks completely at home on this team and playing against older players. She can really push the ball up the court and also get into the lane. She is perfect for the international game and is going to have a long career with Team USA.

Absolutely. I see Sims moving very effectively into the Sue Bird/Lindsey Whalen spot at the point. And her running mate Britney Griner has played spectacularly. Holy Moley I can't believe I'm embracing Lady Bears. Yeesh.

Reaction Score
I believe Spain won the last Eurobasket tournament and not France. France would have avoided the USA if they won their group but they lost to Turkey.

FYI- Following the Continental Championships, Nov 3 2013 FIBA Rankings had USA 1, Australia 2, Russia 3 and France 4. Spain was 6.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
After watching Odyssey for the past few games, I'd say Team USA made a wise decision in keeping her on the team. She should be more than ready for Rio in two years.Tough, tough player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI- Following the Continental Championships, Nov 3 2013 FIBA Rankings had USA 1, Australia 2, Russia 3 and France 4. Spain was 6.
Yeah - the problem is those reflect performance over time - not sure of the exact formula - and Russia didn't even qualify for these WCs The qualifying tournament for the European region has Spain Gold, France Silver, Turkey Bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom