- Aug 15, 2011
- Reaction Score
DavidinNaples Team USA..!!
Anything can happen in a one game playoff and Spain is a good team. They just beat home town Turkey in a tough semi-final match. But, Spain has 5 critical weaknesses that may spell trouble.
1. Scoring- Spain's scoring is concentrated w/ two players, Lyttle & Torrens. Those two have scored 93 & 83 points. That's 49% of the team's total. Their third scorer has 42 pts, which would be only 7th on USA. Shut down Lyttle and/or Torrens and Spain's feeling pain.
2. Minutes played - Both teams will be playing for the 3rd day in a row. But, Spain's starting five have played 152, 149, 143, 131 & 113 minutes total in 5 games. They're going to be tired trying to keep up w/ USA. Our top player, Maya, has logged only 119 minutes. DT has only 105, Griner only 93 & Whalen only 77. Spain may have to fight tired legs and USA.
3. Second team- USA's "2nd team" has scored 192 pts. Spain's 2nd five, only 89. The drop off also shows in rebounds, defense & assists. Spain may have to keep the starting five on the court for a long time, to stay close.
4. Centers- The only true center on Spain is Pascua, at 6'5". But, she has played only 41 minutes. (Stewie has played 33 in comparison.) Lyttle & Torrens are 6'3" and 6'4", but play forward. Who guards B.G.? Who guards Tina? Spain has 50 fewer rebounds and has scored 115 fewer points. That is a lot to make up against USA.
5. Fouls & free throws - Spain has 95 fouls vs 81 for Team USA. So they foul more often. However, they have 32 fewer free throw attempts (72 vs 104). Worst of all, they have made only 44 (61%). USA has made 74 for 71%. Fouling more and shooting less is a bad formula for winning.
One last thing, USA has DT & Maya, they don't.
Go Team USA..!!
DavidinNaples, Yesterday at 10:23 PM
arty155, Blarney76, UcMiami and 1 other person like this.