Game thoughts, USF2 | The Boneyard

Game thoughts, USF2

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Adams to Facey on the 2nd play of the game was just sweet. It would turn out that many of our lob plays would be just as pretty.
  2. Brimah's two handed dunk off the miss on the next play was even sweeter. No coming down and thinking about it just smash it through. Wonderful.
  3. I like the gray unis. Adams shorts are almost old school. Not my era old school, but getting there. The rest of the team's shorts look smaller than recent years, too. No one looks like they are wearing culottes. To me, this is a major improvement.
  4. Facey's early game was exceptional. I also noticed that he played a lot of perimeter D tonight and played it well. He's got quick enough feet to stay in front of his man, and with those long arms, presents a unique situation on the perimeter.
  5. Purvis didn't attempt a shot until 5 minutes in and he didn't shoot another one until the 9 minute mark. That's good. When he jacks a couple up before he's really warmed up and in the flow of the game, it almost always portends a bad shooting night.
  6. I don't care who you're playing. Holding the other team without a field goal for the first 7 minutes of the game is something special.
  7. Got a little sloppy -- Who am I kidding? A lot sloppy -- for a while after USF scored their first FG.
  8. Enoch's first bucket looked like a Facey move. So did his last one. Straight up for the soft jumper, with more finesse than muscle. Maybe he's been watching #12 in practice? Or guarding him?
  9. At about 5:56 when Vital fouls Thorpe, someone clearly yells "What the (mentally override the profanity filter here)". Can't decide if it was from the stands or the bench, but I'm hoping it was from the bench.
  10. Jackson protested vociferously when called for his 3rd, but in three rewatches, yeah, he fouled the guy. I guess his foul situation is what held him to 18 minutes. But for playing 18 scoreless minutes, he still impacted the game with 7 boards and 3 assists. To me though, he looked hesitant to shoot, and that worries me a little. On one 2nd half possession, he drove to the hoop and was about 18" from a poorly contested finger roll, and instead flipped it back out for what I believe was Rodney's only miss on a catch and shoot 3 attempt.
  11. Adams 6 of 8 from 3 was impressive, but not nearly as impressive as a couple of the pinpoint bullets he threw to bigs in position. He is rounding into the player we kind of expected him to be this year. Next year could/should be special for him.
  12. Facey and Amidah each only played 25 minutes -- Not foul trouble related, but get Steve and Juwan minutes related. Both of those guys responded well to the extended playing time, too.
  13. Rodney should never shoot a jumper off the dribble. 6 of 9 from three for the game, but 6 of 7 off catch and shoot threes, and 0 of 2 shooting threes off the dribble. But when he pulls up for a two just a step or so inside the 3 point line, he's money.
  14. At about the 2:42 mark in the 1st half, I imagined the chat room going nuts, and it probably got much worse when Purvis stepped on the sideline at 2:22. Chatroom hystrionics aside, USF's late first half recovery was fueled mostly by our mistakes and mishandling of the ball.
  15. Gillen is starting to sound a lot like Al Mcguire, but without the credibility.
  16. The lead grew so fast in the 2nd half, that it just kind of became a blur. 10 minutes in, 10 points had grown to 41.
  17. The middle of the 2nd half had to be a big confidence builder for Enoch. He was a big part of the offense and played well at the other end too.

Reaction Score
1. USF sucks

yeah ... but

There is this guy on this board who pulls out the KenPom and says they are less than UAlbany and UNH and Stony Brook. This is everything to do with TEAM. And a TEAM SPORT. I guarantee that you put Geno Auriemma or Jim Calhoun on that bench and you would see a big improvement. Holston is fun to watch and good. Tharpe is a decent PG. A few good wings. But, today they are a MESS. Any of the American East teams or lower would die for that 6'11 guy Guerrero.

This year is about Development. If you have not gotten past the moaning, you first see that the Seniors (Facey, Brimah, Purvis) are probably at their peak CBB days. They improved. And Jalen Adams. The 3 Freshmen and Enoch? Steps and then another. But the league also shows the capacity to be far better top to bottom coming forward.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How about CV trying dunk and getting stuffed by the rim? Reminded me of the one time in 4 years Bazz tried to dunk.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How about CV trying dunk and getting stuffed by the rim? Reminded me of the one time in 4 years Bazz tried to dunk.
Best screen in years was the screen Durham set to give Vital the opening to the basket. Not since Niels Giffey have I seen a screen like that.

Reaction Score
  1. Adams to Facey on the 2nd play of the game was just sweet. It would turn out that many of our lob plays would be just as pretty.
  2. Brimah's two handed dunk off the miss on the next play was even sweeter. No coming down and thinking about it just smash it through. Wonderful.
  3. I like the gray unis. Adams shorts are almost old school. Not my era old school, but getting there. The rest of the team's shorts look smaller than recent years, too. No one looks like they are wearing culottes. To me, this is a major improvement.
  4. Facey's early game was exceptional. I also noticed that he played a lot of perimeter D tonight and played it well. He's got quick enough feet to stay in front of his man, and with those long arms, presents a unique situation on the perimeter.
  5. Purvis didn't attempt a shot until 5 minutes in and he didn't shoot another one until the 9 minute mark. That's good. When he jacks a couple up before he's really warmed up and in the flow of the game, it almost always portends a bad shooting night.
  6. I don't care who you're playing. Holding the other team without a field goal for the first 7 minutes of the game is something special.
  7. Got a little sloppy -- Who am I kidding? A lot sloppy -- for a while after USF scored their first FG.
  8. Enoch's first bucket looked like a Facey move. So did his last one. Straight up for the soft jumper, with more finesse than muscle. Maybe he's been watching #12 in practice? Or guarding him?
  9. At about 5:56 when Vital fouls Thorpe, someone clearly yells "What the (mentally override the profanity filter here)". Can't decide if it was from the stands or the bench, but I'm hoping it was from the bench.
  10. Jackson protested vociferously when called for his 3rd, but in three rewatches, yeah, he fouled the guy. I guess his foul situation is what held him to 18 minutes. But for playing 18 scoreless minutes, he still impacted the game with 7 boards and 3 assists. To me though, he looked hesitant to shoot, and that worries me a little. On one 2nd half possession, he drove to the hoop and was about 18" from a poorly contested finger roll, and instead flipped it back out for what I believe was Rodney's only miss on a catch and shoot 3 attempt.
  11. Adams 6 of 8 from 3 was impressive, but not nearly as impressive as a couple of the pinpoint bullets he threw to bigs in position. He is rounding into the player we kind of expected him to be this year. Next year could/should be special for him.
  12. Facey and Amidah each only played 25 minutes -- Not foul trouble related, but get Steve and Juwan minutes related. Both of those guys responded well to the extended playing time, too.
  13. Rodney should never shoot a jumper off the dribble. 6 of 9 from three for the game, but 6 of 7 off catch and shoot threes, and 0 of 2 shooting threes off the dribble. But when he pulls up for a two just a step or so inside the 3 point line, he's money.
  14. At about the 2:42 mark in the 1st half, I imagined the chat room going nuts, and it probably got much worse when Purvis stepped on the sideline at 2:22. Chatroom hystrionics aside, USF's late first half recovery was fueled mostly by our mistakes and mishandling of the ball.
  15. Gillen is starting to sound a lot like Al Mcguire, but without the credibility.
  16. The lead grew so fast in the 2nd half, that it just kind of became a blur. 10 minutes in, 10 points had grown to 41.
  17. The middle of the 2nd half had to be a big confidence builder for Enoch. He was a big part of the offense and played well at the other end too.

Jalen, like Purvis, also shoots the 3 much better when his feet are set and he receives a pass, as opposed to shooting the 3 off the dribble.

Another reason why KO will have AG play the point next year and Adams off the ball as a scoring guard. Really fun to see how improved Jalens 3 point shooting has become this year.

Reaction Score
The expletive came from vital

Reaction Score
Jalen, like Purvis, also shoots the 3 much better when his feet are set and he receives a pass, as opposed to shooting the 3 off the dribble.

Another reason why KO will have AG play the point next year and Adams off the ball as a scoring guard. Really fun to see how improved Jalens 3 point shooting has become this year.
This would apply to just about everybody because when you dribble you bring attention and pressure. Players are usually more open and less pressured shooting the 3 off a pass.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I thought this was his first good game in a while. Rodney and Christian have been killing it from 3 for five games now.

Totally agree with AG running the point and Jalen being the second ball handler. Jalen has shown a tendency to get really sloppy with the ball. But as a second ball handler, or the guy KO turns to in crunch time, that has me drooling.

Reaction Score
This would apply to just about everybody because when you dribble you bring attention and pressure. Players are usually more open and less pressured shooting the 3 off a pass.

To a degree yes you are right, but the difference of when Adams and Purvis shoot the 3 off the dribble verse when they take set shots is very significant, while for guys like Kemba, Bazz, and Boat the difference was relatively minimal.

We don't really have a player on the team who can shoot the 3 well off the dribble (this is including guys like Vance and Vital). Hence ball movement is so key for this team and it's not a coincidence that with the improved ball movement over the past few weeks the team has also shot much better from distance as well.

We set a school record for 3s yesterday but I also believe we set a school conference record in most assists in a game. Not a coincidence.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
To a degree yes you are right, but the difference of when Adams and Purvis shoot the 3 off the dribble verse when they take set shots is very significant, while for guys like Kemba, Bazz, and Boat the difference was relatively minimal.

We don't really have a player on the team who can shoot the 3 well off the dribble (this is including guys like Vance and Vital). Hence ball movement is so key for this team and it's not a coincidence that with the improved ball movement over the past few weeks the team has also shot much better from distance as well.

We set a school record for 3s yesterday but I also believe we set a school conference record in most assists in a game. Not a coincidence.
The movement has been going on for more than a month now. Only difference is more shots going in imo. The Cinci game was lost by a combo of Kentan missing bunnies, Jalen being totally ineffectual on offense and our bigs could not match up with Cinci bigs. We really missed a player like Terry Larrier in that Cinci game.

Hopefully the players can generate the same confidence in the UCF game and Fall can be neutralized again. Need that win to move up in the conference.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Jalen being totally ineffectual on offense
Jalen still struggles when teams blitz him just over the midcourt stripe. Once he's out of his rhythm, we're out of our rhythm, and it has a knock-on effect that's been tough for him to deal with. Not unusual for a young PG, especially when he's the only guy on the team with the ability to even generate a "bad" shot, let alone make one.

Vital's continued improvement as a facilitator, the arrival of Gilbert & MAL next year, and better passing from the bigs will make this less of an issue.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Jalen still struggles when teams blitz him just over the midcourt stripe. Once he's out of his rhythm, we're out of our rhythm, and it has a knock-on effect that's been tough for him to deal with. Not unusual for a young PG, especially when he's the only guy on the team with the ability to even generate a "bad" shot, let alone make one.

Vital's continued improvement as a facilitator, the arrival of Gilbert & MAL next year, and better passing from the bigs will make this less of an issue.
Jalen has to set the tone and be more in control as the year progresses. Shabazz seemed to command the ball more in crunch time, which is what I would like to see Jalen do more of. KO has them running the weave thing and it's the luck of the draw to some extent about who ends up being the trigger man for what happens. Rodney actually handled that spot well in the last game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Very true. If Adams gets his shot down, his athleticism and offensive creativity will allow him to shoot off the dribble, ala Bazz, etc.

A guy like Vital, Purvis, they are definitely most effective as spot up catch and shoot guys.

Adams has the potential to be a serious shot maker, from anywhere, if he develops properly.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yes USF is young and needs to get it together. However, it was great to see our boys drain the three. Hopefully they took the dagger out of their backs from past games where they were the recipient of the downtown barrage. No matter how good or bad a team is, you still have to make that shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom