Game thoughts - Columbia | The Boneyard

Game thoughts - Columbia

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Ugh. This did not start pretty. A minute in, and a turnover on our 2nd possession leads to an open 3 for Columbia
  2. Down 10 to 4 less than 4 minutes in. I strongly considered turning the game off at this point.
  3. They talked about Cob, AG and TL, but Whalley took me by surprise. Teeth pulled yesterday? Then why didn't we find out about it yesterday?
  4. 2 unguarded threes in a row. Started thinking about turning it off again, but decided to stick with it.
  5. Has anyone seen Kwintin get more than 6 inches off the ground in an actual basketball game yet?
  6. This is a nasty mess. I blame bringing chairs out on the floor for time outs. Chairs are the escalators of the timeout world.
  7. Larrier had nothing going at all, but managed to contribute in the 2nd half by hitting the boards. Ended with 14 rebounds!
  8. Mamadou at least gives a damn. None of the other bigs look like they do.
  9. 2/3 of the way through the half, we've got CV and nothing else.
  10. Great. Jalen hurt his ankle.
  11. No pressure defense at all. Seems to me that Alterique is the key to the pressure. Anderson, the forwards, even Jalen to an extent are the necessary complementary pieces to make it work, but without AG it just doesn't happen.
  12. 8 minutes to go in the game, ref called a completely imaginary foul on JA. Didn't matter in the end, but when it happened, it really torqued me off.
  13. Larrier rushed a quick 3 that he was nowhere near ready for at 5:40. He shot a flat shot that had zero chance of going in. I thought at that moment, that he had cut our rally off at the knees.
  14. When Jalen took that jumper up one with under a minute, again I thought we were done for. Maybe I'm just getting used to expecting the worst. But that shot was just a horrible decision. That was a drive and dish situation if there ever was one.
  15. OT. Against the Ivy League. Wow. Just wow.
  16. Can't believe they didn't overturn that possession with 4.5 seconds left. On the replay it was clearly off the Columbia guy.
  17. So... hero of the game? Vital kept us alive when we were trying our best to lie down and die. Jalen took over when it got within range. Antoine was rock steady in the 2nd half, giving us stability and points under pressure. Mamadou provided energy and an inside presence where none had existed, when we needed it most. I was ready to give my vote to Mamadou until Vital stole that inbound play and sealed the deal.
  18. It didn't really end pretty, either, other than finding its way into the W column. At this point, that's enough to make me happy. Sort of happy. Less suicidal, any way.

Reaction Score
When you get out rebounded by a school like Columbia you really have to pause and reflect. Rebounding is effort. We need to find the next Gary Clark.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
  1. Ugh. This did not start pretty. A minute in, and a turnover on our 2nd possession leads to an open 3 for Columbia
  2. Down 10 to 4 less than 4 minutes in. I strongly considered turning the game off at this point.
  3. They talked about Cob, AG and TL, but Whalley took me by surprise. Teeth pulled yesterday? Then why didn't we find out about it yesterday?
  4. 2 unguarded threes in a row. Started thinking about turning it off again, but decided to stick with it.
  5. Has anyone seen Kwintin get more than 6 inches off the ground in an actual basketball game yet?
  6. This is a nasty mess. I blame bringing chairs out on the floor for time outs. Chairs are the escalators of the timeout world.
  7. Larrier had nothing going at all, but managed to contribute in the 2nd half by hitting the boards. Ended with 14 rebounds!
  8. Mamadou at least gives a damn. None of the other bigs look like they do.
  9. 2/3 of the way through the half, we've got CV and nothing else.
  10. Great. Jalen hurt his ankle.
  11. No pressure defense at all. Seems to me that Alterique is the key to the pressure. Anderson, the forwards, even Jalen to an extent are the necessary complementary pieces to make it work, but without AG it just doesn't happen.
  12. 8 minutes to go in the game, ref called a completely imaginary foul on JA. Didn't matter in the end, but when it happened, it really torqued me off.
  13. Larrier rushed a quick 3 that he was nowhere near ready for at 5:40. He shot a flat shot that had zero chance of going in. I thought at that moment, that he had cut our rally off at the knees.
  14. When Jalen took that jumper up one with under a minute, again I thought we were done for. Maybe I'm just getting used to expecting the worst. But that shot was just a horrible decision. That was a drive and dish situation if there ever was one.
  15. OT. Against the Ivy League. Wow. Just wow.
  16. Can't believe they didn't overturn that possession with 4.5 seconds left. On the replay it was clearly off the Columbia guy.
  17. So... hero of the game? Vital kept us alive when we were trying our best to lie down and die. Jalen took over when it got within range. Antoine was rock steady in the 2nd half, giving us stability and points under pressure. Mamadou provided energy and an inside presence where none had existed, when we needed it most. I was ready to give my vote to Mamadou until Vital stole that inbound play and sealed the deal.
  18. It didn't really end pretty, either, other than finding its way into the W column. At this point, that's enough to make me happy. Sort of happy. Less suicidal, any way.

Everyone's giving CV credit for that last steal, but shouldn't the credit go to Polley for poking it loose?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When you get out rebounded by a school like Columbia you really have to pause and reflect. Rebounding is effort. We need to find the next Gary Clark.
Or the next Donny Marshall or Jeff Adrian.

CL82

Reaction Score
Everyone's giving CV credit for that last steal, but shouldn't the credit go to Polley for poking it loose?
If by poking it loose you mean fouling the Columbia player across the chest then putting his hands up in the air and looking guilty, then yes, we should.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If by poking it loose you mean fouling the Columbia player across the chest then putting his hands up in the air and looking guilty, then yes, we should.

Ha, yeah, exactly. We also got away with a foul on the shot...and then on the put-back attempt.

Polley didn't have a good game. But he did knock the ball loose!

CL82

Reaction Score
Diarra had a double-double in 20 minutes tonight!
13001155.jpeg

Sheesh, check out the reach.

Reaction Score
Diarra had a double-double in 20 minutes tonight!
And fouled out. Not trying to take anything away from him, but if he is our best big, which I guess he is by default, then we need him to not get a foul every 4 minutes on the floor.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And fouled out. Not trying to take anything away from him, but if he is our best big, which I guess he is by default, then we need him to not get a foul every 4 minutes on the floor.

Yeah. All of our bigs are really foul prone. The good news is that we get 15 combined between him, Cobb and Onourah.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
True, but at this stage of the game I'll take any semblance of positivity I can get. The kid looked halfway decent today. Def something to build upon

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
LoL at #5, Rich!!

And I can never like Terry Larrier. Just can't. Lethargic doofus.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"Chairs are the escalators of the time out world." Kudos.

With that, I can go to sleep, thankful that ESPN did not offer a replay after initially having a link to it. Unless they're working on a special split screen remix with Walton and Roxy, I guess I'll watch the second half on UConnHuskyGames.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I was happy with Diarra and Vital. Both gave great effort. Adams came up big in big spots.

I just wish that we could have a night where five guys on the court can play a good game at the same time! Or at least bring the defensive energy at the same time.

I'm going to give them big credit for erasing a 15 point deficit to win the game, even if they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with...

Reaction Score
Don't forget Polley's diving and hustling to tie up a loose ball (which he was responsible for) , that gave possession to UConn. Really got the crowd going. Great effort.

Reaction Score
Ollie has clearly decided to take helicopters instead of the stairs. Glad we won it all in 2014. When we kicking him out?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
After what Lukas Meisner just did to us I can't imagine what Gary Clark will do!

Reaction Score
Don't forget Polley's diving and hustling to tie up a loose ball (which he was responsible for) , that gave possession to UConn. Really got the crowd going. Great effort.
Yup all 200 of them lol smdh

Reaction Score
When we went down 10-4, I would have taken all of the starters out and sat them down. The defense is incredibly lazy. I recall JC doing this, though I can't recall the specifics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom