Game Replay: UConn vs. Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
3401898489.gif

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Woah, this game was so much different sober. I don't think we played all that poorly in the first half, I think UMD was just really really good. Their floor spacing left our guards exposed and Trimble is the special kind of player who can really punish our defensive overplays. A flukey loose ball three to boot in there. We're flawed, but we're also shockingly good in spurts. Keep tinkering KO, but hurry up and figure it out.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Woah, this game was so much different sober. I don't think we played all that poorly in the first half, I think UMD was just really really good. Their floor spacing left our guards exposed and Trimble is the special kind of player who can really punish our defensive overplays. A flukey loose ball three to boot in there. We're flawed, but we're also shockingly good in spurts. Keep tinkering KO, but hurry up and figure it out.

Maryland IS really really good. Trimble is a difference maker and would be a favorite if he was a Husky................
But..........the offensive execution in the first half was simply pathetic. after DHams initial basket it tooks us 10-12 minutes to have an offensive possession that looked like a score was the result of cohesive execution. And while maybe you want to credit some good Maryland D and a great scouting job by Turgeon which are both accurate opinions, what was troubling to me is that lack of cohesive execution on the offensive end was seen in the Sacred Heart game. I said here after that win that it was the most pathetic 33 point win in UConn history (hyperbole for sure, but it was a bad looking win) because it was not won because of imposing our offensive will on the other team, but because we simply had horses they did not have. We ran NOTHING crisp that game, on break or in half-court. And the thing is that we have seen major stretches of that since the Cuse game. 4 in a row now where for great stretches we look like a monkey trying to F a football, regardless of opponent. That is a problem that HAS to be addressed. There has to be a crisp decisiveness to what we are running. There is none. I'll accept missed shots if they are good shots. We are often throwing up prayers off the drive.. We are not cohesive on either end of the floor. These are problems we seem to be having no matter the opponent.

Reaction Score
Probably the most level-headed post on this site in the past 40 hours.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Maryland IS really really good. Trimble is a difference maker and would be a favorite if he was a Husky......
But.....the offensive execution in the first half was simply pathetic. after DHams initial basket it tooks us 10-12 minutes to have an offensive possession that looked like a score was the result of cohesive execution. And while maybe you want to credit some good Maryland D and a great scouting job by Turgeon which are both accurate opinions, what was troubling to me is that lack of cohesive execution on the offensive end was seen in the Sacred Heart game. I said here after that win that it was the most pathetic 33 point win in UConn history (hyperbole for sure, but it was a bad looking win) because it was not won because of imposing our offensive will on the other team, but because we simply had horses they did not have. We ran NOTHING crisp that game, on break or in half-court. And the thing is that we have seen major stretches of that since the Cuse game. 4 in a row now where for great stretches we look like a monkey trying to F a football, regardless of opponent. That is a problem that HAS to be addressed. There has to be a crisp decisiveness to what we are running. There is none. I'll accept missed shots if they are good shots. We are often throwing up prayers off the drive.. We are not cohesive on either end of the floor. These are problems we seem to be having no matter the opponent.
I don't disagree, we have a point guard problem which is another way of saying we have an offensive execution problem. That's the tinkering required.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
All I've been thinking about is what could have been. What would have happened without the technical? What would have happened if Jalen put in that bunny layup with a minute left and all of a sudden it's a 3/4 point game again? I hate games like this because all I can think of is shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom