Game Planning vs the Huskies | The Boneyard

Game Planning vs the Huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fifteen games into the season, as always, we here on the BY have dissected UConn’s strengths and weaknesses ad nauseum. What we haven’t really discussed is how opposing teams are game planning when they face the Huskies. Over the years, the conventional wisdom has been that you have to score with UConn to have a chance to beat them. In recent years, only ND in last year’s national semifinal, by a single basket in OT, defeated the Huskies in an up-tempo game. UConn’s ability to run, shoot, pass and score in transition usually breaks open up-tempo games at some point. Against up-tempo DePaul, UConn won by 36 pts. Even mighty ND, most often cited as a team that can score with UConn, eventually broke in an up-tempo game in South Bend, losing by 18.

What we are seeing far more of this season is teams “letting the air out of the ball” when playing the Huskies by slowing down the tempo with deliberate offensive possessions, forcing UConn to run their half-court offense and avoiding at all costs the tendency to get into a “running game” with the Huskies. St Johns and OK both challenged UConn with such a strategy. Kim Mulkey’s Lady Bears implemented that strategy to perfection in defeating the Huskies in Waco, avoiding any possibility that Brown and Cox would have to run the court with UConn’s well-conditioned players. Even a depleted USF, a team with a history of getting blown out in up-tempo matchups vs UConn, slowed down the tempo significantly yesterday to hang close with the Huskies.

Going forward the Huskies can expect a steady diet of teams walking the ball up the court, slowing the tempo and forcing the Huskies to run their half court offense. The response from UConn needs to be all about effort and patience. UConn needs to dig in and play fierce defense, as they did yesterday after Geno sent the starters a message by sitting them down, forcing 22 USF turnovers. UConn also needs to work harder to rebound effectively at both ends of the court. Finally, the Huskies must be patient with their offense. One of the comments that Geno has made to this team on multiple occasions is that if they run their offense, eventually good shots will come.

BY’ers need to be prepared. There are going to be more of these types of game as the season goes on. We are not going to see very many high scoring UConn blowouts. This season is going to remind a lot of fans of the early days of the old Big East, when games were physical, often ugly and low scoring affairs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One positive of all these teams slowing it down against the Huskies. Slower games typically mean fewer possessions, less fatigue and fewer fouls. So in a sense, teams that slow it down are less likely to expose UConn’s thin bench.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So we win by a regular lopsided margin instead of a silly lopsided margin.:cool:

I think the trademark of GA teams is to win on D and the O decides by how much. The real difference for this team is we can’t really dominate the boards which leads to fast breaks. Baylor deserved to win that game, but our shooting was also off so the possibility of more pressure to force tempo was gone and they apparently were making more jumpers than normal. We still need to enjoy whatever happens this year.

UConn men won a famous slow down game against favored URI after several UConn players were suspended over allegations of theft that turned out to be false. Dee Rowe was coaching. Final score 35-32.

Reaction Score
UConn down 9-7 at the half.....so they really lit it up in the 2nd half !

Reaction Score
This I'm not sure about. When I played, DEFENSE took far more energy than playing offense. In fact, the game is still 40 minutes and you have to play all of it.

This right here. My daughter plays against girls much bigger than her. Banging down low with the bigs definitely takes a toll on her. Much more than the offensive end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. force them as best you can into half court......rebound, make shots
2. then make the guards life miserable.....disrupt passing lanes etc.....harass Dangerfield
3. take the whole shot clock to shoot
4. maintain discipline
5. cross your fingers

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This I'm not sure about. When I played, DEFENSE took far more energy than playing offense. In fact, the game is still 40 minutes and you have to play all of it.
This right here. My daughter plays against girls much bigger than her. Banging down low with the bugs definitely takes a toll on her. Much more than the offensive end.
Your points on the amount of effort required to play "effective" defense are absolutely correct. I would only counter that when a team walks the ball up the court and, as a result, dramatically limits the number of possessions, it limits the overall amount of time and intensity necessary to play effective defense.

Reaction Score
Fifteen games into the season, as
Fifteen games into the season, as always, we here on the BY have dissected UConn’s strengths and weaknesses ad nauseum. What we haven’t really discussed is how opposing teams are game planning when they face the Huskies. Over the years, the conventional wisdom has been that you have to score with UConn to have a chance to beat them. In recent years, only ND in last year’s national semifinal, by a single basket in OT, defeated the Huskies in an up-tempo game. UConn’s ability to run, shoot, pass and score in transition usually breaks open up-tempo games at some point. Against up-tempo DePaul, UConn won by 36 pts. Even mighty ND, most often cited as a team that can score with UConn, eventually broke in an up-tempo game in South Bend, losing by 18.Reply

What we are seeing far more of this season is teams “letting the air out of the ball” when playing the Huskies by slowing down the tempo with deliberate offensive possessions, forcing UConn to run their half-court offense and avoiding at all costs the tendency to get into a “running game” with the Huskies. St Johns and OK both challenged UConn with such a strategy. Kim Mulkey’s Lady Bears implemented that strategy to perfection in defeating the Huskies in Waco, avoiding any possibility that Brown and Cox would have to run the court with UConn’s well-conditioned players. Even a depleted USF, a team with a history of getting blown out in up-tempo matchups vs UConn, slowed down the tempo significantly yesterday to hang close with the Huskies.

Going forward the Huskies can expect a steady diet of teams walking the ball up the court, slowing the tempo and forcing the Huskies to run their half court offense. The response from UConn needs to be all about effort and patience. UConn needs to dig in and play fierce defense, as they did yesterday after Geno sent the starters a message by sitting them down, forcing 22 USF turnovers. UConn also needs to work harder to rebound effectively at both ends of the court. Finally, the Huskies must be patient with their offense. One of the comments that Geno has made to this team on multiple occasions is that if they run their offense, eventually good shots will come.

BY’ers need to be prepared. There are going to be more of these types of game as the season goes on. We are not going to see very many high scoring UConn blowouts. This season is going to remind a lot of fans of the early days of the old Big East, when games were physical, often ugly and low scoring affairs.

One of the comments that Geno has made to this team on multiple occasions is that if they run their offense, eventually good shots will come.

BY’ers need to be prepared. There are going to be more of these types of game as the season goes on. We are not going to see very many high scoring UConn blowouts. This season is going to remind a lot of fans of the early days of the old Big East, when games were physical, often ugly and low scoring affairs.[ad/QUOTE]
UConn down 9-7 at the half.....so they really lit it up in the 2nd half !
Really an insightful posting. As Usual!!
Tulane , I think 2 years ago, played the slow down and rugged defense and Uconn had to pull it out in the last seconds. This style of play is not new to Geno, and some on this team.
The highlighted comment I would add: If they are allowed to run their offense (Baylor, OK, Cal) Geno and these kids do not always dictate the offense allowed by opponents. Too often we forget there are team out there that really want to beat Uconn with smart coaches.
My point is don't blame the kids (Oldude you are not) if they can't break through the opponents defense, this the game.
For certain you are right. The other teams will make those games slow and ugly. If they are smaller or only slightly taller than Uconn--Uconn will have the oppo
So we win by a regular lopsided margin instead of a silly lopsided margin.:cool:

I think the trademark of GA teams is to win on D and the O decides by how much. The real difference for this team is we can’t really dominate the boards which leads to fast breaks. Baylor deserved to win that game, but our shooting was also off so the possibility of more pressure to force tempo was gone and they apparently were making more jumpers than normal. We still need to enjoy whatever happens this year.

UConn men won a famous slow down game against favored URI after several UConn players were suspended over allegations of theft that turned out to be false. Dee Rowe was coaching. Final score 35-32.

Wasn't that URI for the Yankee Conf Championship in RI? Bobby boyd and 2 others were charged by the school for an offense because they got a call--suspended the starters --7 to 8 at the half Uconn won--next day the charge was proven false---Luckily that does not happen any longer. That game was on the radio and I listened intently for the whole game. Pass--pass --pass --pass no shot cloclk---pass pass---

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Did UNC win a game by something like 18-12?
Yes against Ralph Sampson led Virginia-hastening the implementation of the modern day shot clock! (or so I recall-granted my faculties are questionable :confused:)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At times they would certainly run Dean Smith’s 4-corners offense for 5+ minutes at a time, and would only shoot if they got a layup.
The four corner is really what led to the shot clock. My memory is hazy on this, but wasn’t the shot clock first used in the last few minutes of the game to eliminate the Dean Smith strategy?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The four corner is really what led to the shot clock. My memory is hazy on this, but wasn’t the shot clock first used in the last few minutes of the game to eliminate the Dean Smith strategy?
Give credit to the NCAA for recognizing that Dean Smith, Pet Carrill, et al were creating a game that vaguely resembled basketball, but was in fact a giant snooze fest. The shot clock along with the 3-pt shot have made basketball a much more entertaining game than the one I grew up with.

Reaction Score
ahhhh, sorry

The game cohenzone mentioned, UConn- URI was 9-7 at the half, with a 35-32 final

The interesting thing about the game was that by all accounts it was extremely intense, the outcome of every single possession was magnified

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom