Game on the Line...Who Takes the Last Shot? | The Boneyard

Game on the Line...Who Takes the Last Shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Give the ball to the girl from OC........................LE:D

Reaction Score
The last time UConn had a possiession when they absolutely had to have a hoop was last year against Notre Dame in south Bend when Kelly Faris made the layup. A nice play all the way around, but I honestly thought the ball had slipped out of Bria Hartley's hands when the ball did not appear to be going in Maya's direction as she curled off of the pick.

Give the ball to a playmaker and work from there. For me, this season, it would have to be Bria Hartley.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Bria, KML, Steph, Caroline.

The Farris layup was a broken play but a great play because neither Bria or Kelly played as if the ball was going to Maya. They played THROUGH the play, and so Kelly was there to make the basket.

Reaction Score
For Baylor it will be Griner or Sims. Who gets it for UCONN?
Bria...she has the experience and can create her own shot. If Bria is covered get it to KML to shoot if from wherever.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I agree Bria would probably have the ball initially, with Caroline and KML in the wings. Tiff would cut to the basket, and Stef would seal off a driving and/or cutting lane, from which she could pop out for a 15 footer or possibly cut to the basket herself.

Don't sleep on Caroline; she will hit that shot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree Bria would probably have the ball initially, with Caroline and KML in the wings. Tiff would cut to the basket, and Stef would seal off a driving and/or cutting lane, from which she could pop out for a 15 footer or possibly cut to the basket herself.

Don't sleep on Caroline; she will hit that shot.

So basically the open player? Equal confidence that they all have the ability to hit the big shot with no preference?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I'm entirely in the Bria camp and am glad to see the consensus (so far).

When it's the final win/lose time, I've far more confidence in her than anyone, probably because she's already shown she's got the goods.

For those who have the gift, I think 'clutch' performance is related to having a deep confidence, not just in themselves, but in fate, for lack of a better way of putting it. They are not afraid of failure, while totally aware and accepting that it is entirely possible they will fail. It leaves them free to focus entirely on the task, not distracted or feeling the pressure of the possible consequences. Voila, they have a better chance of succeeding. Others, those who are the most terribly distracted by thoughts about outcome, 'choke.'

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So basically the open player? Equal confidence that they all have the ability to hit the big shot with no preference?
Pretty much. The strength of this year's team is that any player on the floor has the confidence to take and make that shot and their teammates know that and will give it up to the best shot. There was a thread on this last week. If I can find it I will link it.

Reaction Score
I would like to see KML make one of those game winning shots. Those kind of shots have turned great players into superstars at UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For me, yes. I've been impressed with the team's passing for so early in the season and the Huskies have done a good job using the pass to find the open player.

Sometimes the loss of a superstar can really hurt a team because the players remaining don't have the confidence or skill to be the "go to" player. The couple of years right after Diana Taurasi are an example of this, but that's not the case this year. UConn seems to be coping with the loss of Maya pretty well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am pretty happy with Stef taking an open 15 footer, Tiff receiving and making a layup off of a backdoor cut, KML or Caroline taking an open perimeter shot, and Bria taking basically any shot if she gets separation from her defender. If Caroline's cutting while Tiff's hanging out in the perimeter, or if it's not Bria (maybe Caroline as well) making the decision, I'm less happy. Basically this team's going to live and die with "a different hero every night" approach. Next season, I expect to see UConn morph into more of a traditional star-driven kind of team.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I am pretty happy with Stef taking an open 15 footer, Tiff receiving and making a layup off of a backdoor cut, KML or Caroline taking an open perimeter shot, and Bria taking basically any shot if she gets separation from her defender. If Caroline's cutting while Tiff's hanging out in the perimeter, or if it's not Bria (maybe Caroline as well) making the decision, I'm less happy. Basically this team's going to live and die with "a different hero every night" approach. Next season, I expect to see UConn morph into more of a traditional star-driven kind of team.

And who will "the traditional star" be who "drives the team"?

Kaleena, Bree, Bria, Morgan, Stef, Moriah?

For the next few years -- UCONN WILL BE A TEAM OF STARS. And Geno will coach them the same way he coaches the Olympic Team -- expecting every player to be a key part of a team effort. He will not pick one super-star; but rather will expect many stars to shine brightly together.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And who will "the traditional star" be who "drives the team"?

Kaleena, Bree, Bria, Morgan, Stef, Moriah?

For the next few years -- UCONN WILL BE A TEAM OF STARS. And Geno will coach them the same way he coaches the Olympic Team -- expecting every player to be a key part of a team effort. He will not pick one super-star; but rather will expect many stars to shine brightly together.
The 2002 team had TASS plus Diana, with different players came up big at different points, but it was absolutely Sue's team. I would expect to see an analogous kind of team chemistry. If I was going to guess, it'd be Bria and KML in the superstar kind of role, Stef growing into something of a Tamika Williams leadership role except goofier, Kelly being a defensive force of nature, Caroline being the old fart and glue player, with the kids and Heather coming off the bench. As phenomenal as the incoming class is, I expect them to have a learning curve.

Edit: if this 2012 team is going to win a championship, it will be in the 2004 Pistons mold. That Pistons team had no first-team All-NBA players (and only one second or third-teamer), but exceptional team chemistry and defensive intensity. Similarly, although I wouldn't rule out UConn having a first-team AA just yet, it's more likely they won't (Griner, EDD, Nneka, and Diggins are shoe-ins, leaving only one spot open). Next year, however, I do expect UConn to have First-team honorees in spite of the overwhelming depth and talent level.

Reaction Score
Don't force any shot; don't favor any one. You pass unselfishly 'til the one that is called to greatness is open for the shot that she rarely misses. All five on the court are capable of that.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
The 2002 team had TASS plus Diana, with different players came up big at different points, but it was absolutely Sue's team. I would expect to see an analogous kind of team chemistry. If I was going to guess, it'd be Bria and KML in the superstar kind of role, Stef growing into something of a Tamika Williams leadership role except goofier, Kelly being a defensive force of nature, Caroline being the old fart and glue player, with the kids and Heather coming off the bench. As phenomenal as the incoming class is, I expect them to have a learning curve.

Edit: if this 2012 team is going to win a championship, it will be in the 2004 Pistons mold. That Pistons team had no first-team All-NBA players (and only one second or third-teamer), but exceptional team chemistry and defensive intensity. Similarly, although I wouldn't rule out UConn having a first-team AA just yet, it's more likely they won't (Griner, EDD, Nneka, and Diggins are shoe-ins, leaving only one spot open). Next year, however, I do expect UConn to have First-team honorees in spite of the overwhelming depth and talent level.

Good Reply Alex. I agree with most of what you say.

But -- I think the learning curve for Breanna Stewart will be very short.

At the Pan-Am Games, Bree was consistently outplaying some very good WNBA players; and, she was the best player on the USA Team. She will be a "star" from the start.

Reaction Score
I agree with most people, that there are several options. I would try to set up the player with the hottest hand on that particular night. In the Seton Hall game, I would have gone to CD. There were not too many "hot hands" in the 2nd half of that game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with most people, that there are several options. I would try to set up the player with the hottest hand on that particular night. In the Seton Hall game, I would have gone to CD. There were not too many "hot hands" in the 2nd half of that game.
Yes, it is very situational.

Reaction Score
Probably the player who is also the best FT shooter.........STEF in the post or KML

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good Reply Alex. I agree with most of what you say.

But -- I think the learning curve for Breanna Stewart will be very short.

At the Pan-Am Games, Bree was consistently outplaying some very good WNBA players; and, she was the best player on the USA Team. She will be a "star" from the start.
a great debate for next year. i think for sure Bree will get starters minutes and be in the discussion for BE POY and AA honors by the end of the year. but i'm not sure she starts unless there's an injury. Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, and Stef - who do you sit to start Bree?

it's pretty widely acknowledged (debated for sure) that KML is the best player on the team this year. Bree may well be the best player on the team next year. but i don't expect either to start their freshman years unless there's an injury. but i could easily be wrong. we will know soon enough right?

as for taking the last shot, depends who's hot and what the situation is. pretty much echo what others have said. fortunately KML, Stef and Bria are good FT shooters as well. so fouling any of them would not be bad for UCONN.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Last shot? CD hands down. She is the one least likely to be covered and when she has an open look she will nail it many more times than not.

Reaction Score
In some past years, there has been an obvious choice, e.g. Maya or Diana. This year there shouldn't be anyone who is designated to take the last shot. Simply put Stef, Kaleena, Tiff, CD, and Bria on the floor and then run the offense. Whoever ends up with a good look takes the shot. None of those five is so much better than the others that they should try to force a shot because they're "supposed" to take the last shot.

If there are only a few seconds remaining and someone has to race upcourt and get a shot or a kick-out, then I vote for Bria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom