Game Analysis - UConn vs Seton Hall - Part II | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Seton Hall - Part II

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This will be the second meeting between UConn and Seton Hall. The first meeting was at the XL Center. This one will be Walsh Gymnasium in South Orange, NJ. The crowd will not be nearly as friendly. What is different in this game...1. There is a possibility that Azzi Fudd may play in this game where she missed the last one. 2. There is a possibility that Caroline Ducharme will still be on concussion protocols for this game and may miss it where she played and was a huge contributor in the last game. The last game was a 25 point win for UConn and UConn has a fantastic offensive night scoring 98 points. UConn went 11 for 21 from three and Seton Hall went 9 for 29 from three point (It was basically bombs away from three all night long). Seton Hall averages 5.9 threes per game...while UConn averages 6.8 so both teams were shooting above their average that nigh. UConn out rebounded Seton Hall in game one 44 to 26.

What to expect this game...I don't see this game being a repeat of game one. I expect this one to be closer for a number of reasons. UConn is a tired, depleted team. Starters are playing too many minutes, the margin for error is tiny and that increases the pressure that these players are playing under. There is no guarantee that Azzi Fudd will play on Tuesday...though I am leaning towards the thumb up given her reaction to her parents...but, as Geno said...the Doctors were examining her knee and they will make the call. More than likely we will not see Caroline Ducharme...keep in mind her stat line in the last game was fantastic: 16 points; 4 for 6 from 3 point; 3 assists and 5 rebounds...If there is no Azzi and no Caroline then it is going to be a long, difficult night for the Huskies. We also had an atypical evening from Nika Muhl who went 4 for 5 from 3 point, she also had 16 points, 5 rebounds and an incredible 11 assists. We had 6 players in double figures in game one. UConn will need another great night from its starters, players will need to play above their averages.

In game one the starters for Seton Hall were: Sidney Cooks, Lauren Parks-Lane, Myra Bembry, Shailyn Pinkney, Sha'Lynn Hagans. This is the same starting line-up Seton Hall has played in their last 3 games...so, it is fair to guess that the Seton Hall will keep these five players as their starters.

Dorka Juhasz vs Sidney Cooks - This is a classic match-up with the bigs 6'4" Cooks vs 6'5" Juhasz. Cooks is a great all-around player for Seton Hall averaging 16.1 points per game and she had 18 in the first meeting with UConn...She averages 6.7 rebounds per game but only had 3 in game one with UConn. Dorka while she averages 13.7 per game only had 10 in her first meeting with Seton Hall, she did however pull down 11 rebounds against Seton Hall in game one. In game two I would expect Cooks to continue in her ability to score the basketball and I would expect Dorka to continue to dominate the glass. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aaliyah Edwards vs Mya Bembry
- Mya Bembry will have her hands full with UConn's All American prospect Edwards. Mya averages 4.9 points a game but she scored 7 in game one. Mya averages 5.4 rebounds a game but only was able to corral 3 in game one. Aaliyah, on the other hand, was a monster in game one leading all scorers with 23 points...she also had 6 rebounds. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Aubrey Griffin vs Shailyn Pinkney
- While Pinkney was a starter in game one and has started in the last four games for Seton Hall she has been largely non-productive in the scoring column. She has been somewhat productive as a rebounder. She has been averaging 20 to 24 minutes per game and her bench replacement hasn't been all that productive either. Aubrey should be able to be her usual self in this game. She scored 13 in game one and had 7 rebounds to Pinkney's 3 points and 1 rebound. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Sha'Lynn Hagans
- Sha-Lynn is a fairly consistent player for Seton Hall although she didn't show it in game one against UConn. In that game she only scored 3 points and had 2 rebounds. Sha-Lynn usually averages 10.3 points and 2.9 rebounds to go along with her 2 steals per game. Lou has been is a somewhat of a slump the last few games...it could have something to do with the defenses swarming all over her because they recognize that she is a three point threat as well as a scoring threat in general. In game one Lou had 14 points, 2 threes, and 3 rebounds. I am looking for Lou to break out of her slump. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Lauren Park-Lane - Lauren Park-Lane has been a pain in the proverbial butt to say the least. She does everything for Seton Hall. Laster game she went for 17 points...even though she was 4 below her average she still was able to hit 3 threes. Nika played well last game against Seton Hall. She had 16 points, 4 three pointers, 5 rebounds, and 11 assists....that match-up clearly went to Nika...but, I look for this game to be more competitive with Nika still being able to pretty much negate Lauren's impact on the game. With Nika being able to impact the game in more ways than scoring the basketball... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench - Let's face it our bench is thin. If Azzi plays and / or Caroline plays then the UConn bench gets the advantage,..but, with just Azzi coming off the bench (and not being sure how effective she will be) as well as, DeBerry and Bettencourt ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Intangibles
- Game is played away and at home for Seton Hall. Seton Hall is motivated to do better than its last outing. UConn has a depleted roster with possible injured players in the line-up... ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Coaching
- Anthony Bozella has the highest winning percentage in modern program history. He has gotten the Pirates to the post season 6 out of his 9 years. And, he has gotten his pirates to compete for the top spot in the Big East each year. His overall record at Seton Hall is 171-117 However, on the other side: Geno is back...Chris Daley, Morgan Valley and Jamelle Elliot... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

UConn - 84

Seton Hall - 71

MOV - 13

Reaction Score
Another intangible is that Seton Hall had their “Georgetown” game the other night against Creighton. Really bad night for them. So they want to come out hard and put that game behind them. As I’m sure UConn does also.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is in your Dorka vs Cooks Analysis: "Dorka while she averages 13.7 per game only had 10 in her first meeting with Seton Hall, she did however pull down 11 rebounds against Seton Hall in game one."
I am not sure what you are saying...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This is in your Dorka vs Cooks Analysis: "Dorka while she averages 13.7 per game only had 10 in her first meeting with Seton Hall, she did however pull down 11 rebounds against Seton Hall in game one."
I am not sure what you are saying...
I am saying that Dorka was three points below her average in game one but she did pull down and incredible 11 rebounds. In that analysis I also point out that even though Cooks averages 6.7 rebounds she only was able to get 3 rebounds in game one. With Dorka scoring slightly lower than her average but ripping down 11 rebounds and Cooks rebounding below her average with less than half the rebounds she usually gets but slightly scoring more points than her average in game one was the reason for my calling the match-up EVEN.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am saying that Dorka was three points below her average in game one but she did pull down and incredible 11 rebounds. In that analysis I also point out that even though Cooks averages 6.7 rebounds she only was able to get 3 rebounds in game one. With Dorka scoring slightly lower than her average but ripping down 11 rebounds and Cooks rebounding below her average with less than half the rebounds she usually gets but slightly scoring more points than her average in game one was the reason for my calling the match-up EVEN.
Ah. I read it as rebounds, not points, in the first part of your Analysis.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis, @cferraro04 . Thanks again!

I am worried about this game for the reason you suggest -- they are coming off a bad game against Creighton and will likely have better energy. We are coming off a low-energy game, but we may not have the resources to improve our energy level. Also, we may have to do whatever we do without Caroline or Azzi. That's a big hit for us to take. We will likely start Nika Lou Aubrey Dorka and Aaliyah, and might have no one to bring in to spell them besides Inês and Amari.

Those are my worries. But in the end, I have an indomitable faith in this team. I suspect the starters will dig deep and find something wonderful, and this is what we'll see on the court.

Reaction Score
From everything I heard about UCONN, they play harder in practice than in the game. Im sure Geno is letting up a little in practice so they will be ready to roll.

Reaction Score
From everything I heard about UCONN, they play harder in practice than in the game. Im sure Geno is letting up a little in practice so they will be ready to roll.
That's what they say, GENO's practices are twice as hard as the actual game, so in essence, when they are playing the game, they are actually resting? This team should have a movie made about their injuries and freaky accidents and how their tenacity and grit in going this far with their schedule and only having 2 losses. UCONN is the model of what a great team should be like in surviving their season. How ever this season turns out, all summer long it will be talked about and analyzed going into 2024. GO HUSKIES!!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This will be the second meeting between UConn and Seton Hall. The first meeting was at the XL Center. This one will be Walsh Gymnasium in South Orange, NJ. The crowd will not be nearly as friendly. What is different in this game...1. There is a possibility that Azzi Fudd may play in this game where she missed the last one. 2. There is a possibility that Caroline Ducharme will still be on concussion protocols for this game and may miss it where she played and was a huge contributor in the last game. The last game was a 25 point win for UConn and UConn has a fantastic offensive night scoring 98 points. UConn went 11 for 21 from three and Seton Hall went 9 for 29 from three point (It was basically bombs away from three all night long). Seton Hall averages 5.9 threes per game...while UConn averages 6.8 so both teams were shooting above their average that nigh. UConn out rebounded Seton Hall in game one 44 to 26.

What to expect this game...I don't see this game being a repeat of game one. I expect this one to be closer for a number of reasons. UConn is a tired, depleted team. Starters are playing too many minutes, the margin for error is tiny and that increases the pressure that these players are playing under. There is no guarantee that Azzi Fudd will play on Tuesday...though I am leaning towards the thumb up given her reaction to her parents...but, as Geno said...the Doctors were examining her knee and they will make the call. More than likely we will not see Caroline Ducharme...keep in mind her stat line in the last game was fantastic: 16 points; 4 for 6 from 3 point; 3 assists and 5 rebounds...If there is no Azzi and no Caroline then it is going to be a long, difficult night for the Huskies. We also had an atypical evening from Nika Muhl who went 4 for 5 from 3 point, she also had 16 points, 5 rebounds and an incredible 11 assists. We had 6 players in double figures in game one. UConn will need another great night from its starters, players will need to play above their averages.

In game one the starters for Seton Hall were: Sidney Cooks, Lauren Parks-Lane, Myra Bembry, Shailyn Pinkney, Sha'Lynn Hagans. This is the same starting line-up Seton Hall has played in their last 3 games...so, it is fair to guess that the Seton Hall will keep these five players as their starters.

Dorka Juhasz vs Sidney Cooks - This is a classic match-up with the bigs 6'4" Cooks vs 6'5" Juhasz. Cooks is a great all-around player for Seton Hall averaging 16.1 points per game and she had 18 in the first meeting with UConn...She averages 6.7 rebounds per game but only had 3 in game one with UConn. Dorka while she averages 13.7 per game only had 10 in her first meeting with Seton Hall, she did however pull down 11 rebounds against Seton Hall in game one. In game two I would expect Cooks to continue in her ability to score the basketball and I would expect Dorka to continue to dominate the glass. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

- Mya Bembry will have her hands full with UConn's All American prospect Edwards. Mya averages 4.9 points a game but she scored 7 in game one. Mya averages 5.4 rebounds a game but only was able to corral 3 in game one. Aaliyah, on the other hand, was a monster in game one leading all scorers with 23 points...she also had 6 rebounds. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- While Pinkney was a starter in game one and has started in the last four games for Seton Hall she has been largely non-productive in the scoring column. She has been somewhat productive as a rebounder. She has been averaging 20 to 24 minutes per game and her bench replacement hasn't been all that productive either. Aubrey should be able to be her usual self in this game. She scored 13 in game one and had 7 rebounds to Pinkney's 3 points and 1 rebound. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Sha-Lynn is a fairly consistent player for Seton Hall although she didn't show it in game one against UConn. In that game she only scored 3 points and had 2 rebounds. Sha-Lynn usually averages 10.3 points and 2.9 rebounds to go along with her 2 steals per game. Lou has been is a somewhat of a slump the last few games...it could have something to do with the defenses swarming all over her because they recognize that she is a three point threat as well as a scoring threat in general. In game one Lou had 14 points, 2 threes, and 3 rebounds. I am looking for Lou to break out of her slump. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Lauren Park-Lane - Lauren Park-Lane has been a pain in the proverbial butt to say the least. She does everything for Seton Hall. Laster game she went for 17 points...even though she was 4 below her average she still was able to hit 3 threes. Nika played well last game against Seton Hall. She had 16 points, 4 three pointers, 5 rebounds, and 11 assists....that match-up clearly went to Nika...but, I look for this game to be more competitive with Nika still being able to pretty much negate Lauren's impact on the game. With Nika being able to impact the game in more ways than scoring the basketball... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Bench - Let's face it our bench is thin. If Azzi plays and / or Caroline plays then the UConn bench gets the advantage,..but, with just Azzi coming off the bench (and not being sure how effective she will be) as well as, DeBerry and Bettencourt ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Intangibles
- Game is played away and at home for Seton Hall. Seton Hall is motivated to do better than its last outing. UConn has a depleted roster with possible injured players in the line-up... ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL

Coaching
- Anthony Bozella has the highest winning percentage in modern program history. He has gotten the Pirates to the post season 6 out of his 9 years. And, he has gotten his pirates to compete for the top spot in the Big East each year. His overall record at Seton Hall is 171-117 However, on the other side: Geno is back...Chris Daley, Morgan Valley and Jamelle Elliot... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

UConn - 84

Seton Hall - 71

MOV - 13
If this is your prediction, you may want to move it over to the Prognosticator's thread.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
If this is your prediction, you may want to move it over to the Prognosticator's thread.
Thanks for the reminder, however, message number 16 on the Prognosticator's board has my prediction listed.

Reaction Score
Just a comparison note: SETON HALL: COOKS 6'4", then 6' 2" and 6'1"( times three ) and finally 6' 0" = 6
compared to Georgetown : Bennet 6' 3" ( a starter) Scott 6' 4" , Jenkins 6'3" ( whose knee bumped
into Azzi's knee, an accident) and Kay Myrick 6'2" and finally two more starters: Jada Claude 6'0" and
Kristina Moore 6'1" So Georgetown had bigger players to double and triple team Dorka and Aaliyah.
This shall not be repeated. With some improved 3 point shooting ( hopefully Caroline complementing
Lou and the Huskies come away with the " W ". We'll see.

sun

Reaction Score
Seton Hall hasn't played since last Wednesday, Jan. 11 so they should be well rested.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Seton Hall is a hot/cold team, in other words, they are inconsistent. On paper, this is a 2nd or 3rd place Big East team and they lost their last game to Creighton by 22. Their 3 best wins this year are Marquette, Georgia and St. John's. Not sure that is such a strong resume.

Cooks, while being their second most prolific 3 pt shooter at 22-58 (.379) she is their leading rebounder at 6.7 per game which is rather paltry considering she's probably the second biggest Big East post in the conference. Dorka, who has been on a stat stuffer roll lately with points, rebounds, assists and steals all showing more than her season averages. This is a reunion of BigTen posts as Cooks started at MSU while Dorka was at tOSU. Cooks may get her points, but I think both Dorka and Edwards outplay her.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder, however, message number 16 on the Prognosticator's board has my prediction listed.
Darn I must be getting senile in my memories to leave this decade of life and enter into another.:eek:

Reaction Score

Intangibles

Coaching

UConn - 84

Seton Hall - 71

MOV - 13
Walsh was THE place to play other than the Garden back in the day. It's a real tough place to win. It's less than 3000 seating now but it sounds like 10,000. If we play like we did against Georgetown it can be a real problem. I will be there. It's a return home for me. I've been going to games there since 1962 and played there several times in high school from 1965-1968. Great old time facility but we have to play hard. Can't let the crowd get into this game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
84 points is a lot for a "tired, depleted team". I hope you are right.
They are tired and depleted but, they are nevertheless talented...they know how to score.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They are tired and depleted but, they are nevertheless talented...they know how to score.
I just think after Georgetown the prediction may be bold. On the other hand they may be fired up and break 100!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2...definitely prophetic. You earned the title of seer for that one. I think you were pretty much out there alone on that ledge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom