Game Analysis - UConn vs Creighton...Game 2 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Creighton...Game 2

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Always great to have stats from a previous game. However, with the fluidity of UConn's roster due to injuries and not really knowing from game to game who is going to be playing and who is not or even worse in UConn's case we don't know if and when UConn might fall below the required 7 scholarship athletes rule as already happened this year.

Well, in any case a few things need to be noted going into this game:

UConn's usual anemic 3 point shooting which has been a problem won't really matter that much in this game...Creighton, although they are a pretty good three point shooting team only had three in our last meeting and they actually beat UConn in that category as UConn only converted on 2 three pointers.

Creighton is height challenged...their tallest player is 6'1". In our last match-up they were out-rebounded by UConn 59 to 27!!! Points in the paint should be plentiful for UConn.

Creighton's on ball defenders can be an absolute nightmare...at least they were in our last match-up where they stole the basketball 9 times and forced 15 turnovers...meanwhile UConn was only able to get 1 steal while Creighton took very good care of the basketball only coughing up 8 turnovers.

Creighton's shooting percentage was pretty much atrocious shooting 23 percent from the field and only 10.7 percent from three.

Last game Creighton has a full compliment of its players and it appears that the same is true for this game. UConn, on the other hand, had some impactful shifting of its roster due to injuries. For example, UConn was without the services of Azzi Fudd, Aubrey Griffin, and Amari DeBerry but, Caroline Ducharme played 25 minutes. This game they are still without Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme but, they have Aubrey Griffin and Amari DeBerry active on the roster.

In game one Aaliyah Edwards went for 23 points and Dorka Juhasz went for 22 points while Caroline Ducharme scored 11 points. I would look for that to continue in this game as well, except we will be exchanging Caroline Ducharme for Aubrey Griffin.

Creighton will start a 4 guard line-up: Laura Jensen - 5'10", Junior Guard; Morgan Maly - 6'1", Junior Guard/Forward; Emma Ronsiak - 6'1", Junior Forward; Molly Mogensen - 5'7" Guard and Rachel Sanchez - 5'9", Graduate Guard.

Dorka Jurasz vs Emma Ronsiak - Emma is a 6'1" Forward who averages a respectable 15.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. Emma will have the ability to draw Dorka from under the basket as she averages 1.6 made three pointers per game. Dorka has been very consistent of late, she had a great game against Creighton in our last outing and try as they will I don't think that Creighton has a horse in the stable who will contain Dorka. Dorka had 22 points in the first outing and Emma had 12 points. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Aaliyah Edwards vs Morgan Maly
- Morgan Maly matches up okay with Edwards size-wise. Morgan is 6'1" and Edwards only has two inches on her. Morgan could be a tough match-up for Edwards because she averages a respectable 15.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. She will be able to draw Edwards out from under the basket as she is Creighton's best three point shooter averaging 2.5 made three pointers per game. Even though Aaliyah has been in a somewhat of a slump of late, I look for her to snap out of it this game...she had 23 points in the first match-up and Morgan Maly only had 2 points... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Lou Lopez-Senechal vs Lauren Jensen
- This is the Marqui match-up of the game. Lauren Jensen is Creighton's best contributor. She averages 16.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.1 three pointers per game. Lou, is also one of UConn's top contributors, averagine 16.1 points, 3.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.3 three pointers per game. Statistically they are the same player. It will be a question of who is hungrier if one is to excel over the other or, they may just end up cancelling each other out. Last match-up Lauren Jensen had 11 points and Lou Lopez-Senechal had 10 points. Lou is a bit more banged up and the long minutes per game are beginning to catch up to her. ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aubrey Griffin vs Rachel Saunders
- Rachel gives up 2 inches to Aubrey. Aubrey did not play in the last match-up so, this will be Creighton's first look at Aubrey this season. Aubrey's consistency and her athletic ability will be too much for Rachel. I look for Aubrey to have a spectacular day. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Molly Mogensen
- Molly is a good basketball player...she contributes stats across the board averaging 6.9 points, 1.1 three pointers, 3.9 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1 steal per game. Molly was held to only one points in their last match-up with UConn. Statistically, outside of assists per game Nika and Molly are similar players. Nika's nation leading assists in and of itself allows Nika to impact the game on a higher level. ADVANTAGE - UConn

Bench
- Here we go again...as painful as it is to admit...we do not have a bench. Creighton has more points and more rebounds coming off the bench. Of course, that would change if either Caroline or Azzi or, both were to play... ADVANTAGE - CREIGHTON

Intangibles
- Home at Storrs...yay!!!! Coming off a lackluster game at Georgetown and two losses in a row with Marquette and South Carolina (who beat previously unbeaten LSU handily last night). I think UConn bounces back in a statement game tonight. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Coaching
- Geno, et al., were successful in their last outing and I don't see that changing this time around. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

UCONN - 74
CREIGHTON - 61

MOV - 13

Reaction Score
Relative to the Creighton game, does anyone know if there any indications whether or not Caroline will play? The big one to me is if she is practicing. Geno is unlikely to give her minutes unless she has finished 3-5 full (i.e. not just shoot arounds) practices, particularly from an endurance point of view.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Relative to the Creighton game, does anyone know if there any indications whether or not Caroline will play? The big one to me is if she is practicing. Geno is unlikely to give her minutes unless she has finished 3-5 full (i.e. not just shoot arounds) practices, particularly from an endurance point of view.
I'm guessing if we don't hear anything "negative" today or tomorrow, it will be a game day decision. She herself stated before the GU game that she is close (paraphrasing).
Some people will be watching certain Twitter posts for the next 3 days regarding this subject. I won't be one of those people. But I am sure as soon as anything is tweeted, a BY thread will most likely be started within minutes...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And our match ups change badly if Muhl has ankle problems.
We've been at THAT point for a while. UConn CANNOT afford to have any of its starters go down, even for one game. That would put even more pressure on the other 4 starters to score. :confused: UConn does not want to go back to only having 7 players dress for a game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And our match ups change badly if Muhl has ankle problems.
Have there been any reports that Nika's injury during the GU game (in which she returned to) is a "problem" going forward?

Reaction Score
Trust me from experience, anytime your ankle has been twisted and is sore, it's a problem. Of course, a good brace and treatment helps, but it still affects how well you can move and push off on the foot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the Dorka and Aaliyah matchups are close to even. Ronsiek made All-BE, I believe, and Maly starred in the NCAA tourney. If we win those 2 handily, we cruise. I also think that Jensen has the advantage over a banged-up Lou. If Chica is on her game, I like our chances.

I think we win because we are playing at Gampel. Creighton will shoot better than last time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom