Game Analysis - Game 7 - UConn vs Texas | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - Game 7 - UConn vs Texas

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
COMMENTS:

I think we are all in agreement that having the past week off was a good thing for the UConn Huskies. The Cayman Islands was pretty rough going for the Huskies. UCLA was already in mid-season form while the Huskies were reeling from the loss of Azzi for the season and Caroline Ducharme being out of the line-up and uncertainty surrounding if and when she will return. Paige coming off a 500-plus day lay-off due to her own injuries was expected to put the team on her shoulders and pull off a couple of wins. Despite a 31-point effort in game one and a 19-point effort in game two...she almost pulled it off. However, UCLA proved to be too much for UConn (12 threes is hard to overcome) when you don't have the shooters to match it.

Next up is 7-0 Texas...but, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...they haven't really played anyone of consequence yet. Their opponent's RPI rankings are as follows: 63, 133, 181, 183, 190, 191 and 208. Texas' opponent's SOS is also unimpressive and their collective SOS rankings are as follows: 24, 32, 45, 77, 80, 152, and 191. Finally, the Massey ratings of their opponents are as follows: 77, 75, 147, 189, 231, 234 and 249.

Texas starts: Shaylee Gonzales 5'10" graduate guard; Rori Harmon, 5'6" junior guard; Madison Booker 6'1" freshman forward; Amina Muhammad 6'4" freshman forward and Taylor Jones 6'4"senior forward. Their starters average 56.3 points of the Longhorn's 88.9 points or 63.3 percent of the team's total game points.

The Longhorns bench accounts for 32. 6 points and 23.5 rebounds. Their bench has 6'0" Shay Holle who plays 24.3 minutes per game; 6'4" Kadikja Faye - 16.4 minutes per game; 6'2" Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda - 17.3 minutes; 6'1" Aaliyah Moore - 13.9 minutes; and 5'11" Gisella Maul - 13.6 minutes per game.

UConn's bench accounts for 20.5 points and 9.2 rebounds...this production would appear to be quite anemic compared to the bench production from Texas.

The obvious thing that jumps out to me is that Texas has quite a bit of size on their roster and there isn't even any mention of the 6'9" freshman (Abby Boutilcer) who hasn't played in any of their games yet.
They are not a particularly good 3-point shooting team, but they put a lot of points up on the board. Again this is probably because they haven't really played anybody who was that good yet. For all their size they only average 4.3 blocks per game. They average about 20 assists with only 11.3 turnovers per game. They force 25.5 turnovers per game and average 20 steals per game...indicating that they can put pressure on the ball and UConn will have to take care of the basketball.

Rory Harmon was named a pre-season All-American honorable mention...Rory is also the Big 12's pre-season Player of the Year. Last year she was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. She holds the school record for most assists per game at 7.4 and last year was ranked 4th in the country for assists per game. Rori was also named to the 2024 16-person list for the Wade Trophy for Player of the Year

Notables:

HORNS ON D: Last season the Longhorns were 22-0 when they held an opponent to 59 points or less. In the 2023-24 season Texas ranks ninth in the NCAA in turnovers forced per game at 26.75.

ASSIST-TO: The Longhorns rank first in the Big 12 and third in the NCAA this season in assists to turnover ratio. Texas is averaging 23.8 assists per game and 11.5 turnovers per game.

ON THE BOARDS: The Longhorns are +18.3 in rebounding margin this season and have a 92-20 advantage in second-chance points.

POUNDING THE PAINT: The Longhorns have had a significant post presence this season as they lead opponents 212-86 in paint points, including an 80-36 edge over UT Arlington last time out.

NO. 1 RECRUITING CLASS: On Nov. 8 the Longhorns signed what ESPN.Com has ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. The Horns are the only school in the country with two top-10 signees.

GONZALES CAREER SCORING: Shaylee Gonzales knows how to put the ball in the basket. Gonzales has scored 2,047 career points, which ranks fifth among all active women's DI college basketball players.

I believe that Texas has not faced a team like UConn and that UConn's ball pressure is going to force Texas into turning the ball over more than they are used to. But, it also appears that the Longhorns can bring significant ball pressure of their own...so, this could be a very good defensive game with the score being in the seventies.

MATCH-UPS:

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" Sr. vs Taylor Jones 6'4" Sr.
- Aaliyah is playing somewhat below her offensive capabilities. She is currently averaging 14.3 points a game...I believe Aaliyah is closer to a 20-point-per-game player. She is also averaging 6.7 rebounds per game and I also believe that this is below her capabilities...I believe that Aaliyah is actually a 9-rebound per-game player. The question in this game is will Aaliyah return to form or will Taylor Jones continue being the scoring machine she was earlier in this season? Statistically, this match-up is a tie...but, Aaliyah is a strong player who can body up her opponent...I am going with a slight... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Caroline Ducharrme 6'2" Jr. vs Amina Muhammad 6'4" So.
- I am not even sure if Caroline is going to play...if she doesn't that creates a terrible mismatch at this position unless Ice Brady can raise her quality of play. It isn't feasible to expect Amari to step in and be a starter nor is it palpable to expect Ashlynn Shade, Q, or KK to be able to step up to defend a 6'4" player like Amina. The only other option is to move Aubrey over to defend Amina which would pave the way for either Ashlynn or KK to start on Madison. So, with this uncertainty in mind if the match-up between Caroline and Amina were to happen Caroline has proven that she can defend a taller player and she has proven that she can be that other scorer that UConn needs...unfortunately, that hasn't been the case this season. Caroline's numbers are way down. Amina is a solid 10-point and 7-rebound player. ADVANTAGE - TEXAS If Aubrey gets the Assignment then: ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aubrey Griffin 6'1" Gr. vs Madison Booker 6'1" Fr.
- Again this is a match-up that may not happen as it depends on what happens with Caroline Ducharme. Aubrey's and Madison's statistical comparison is very close with Aubrey having a slight advantage. However, with the kind of defense that Aubrey will bring to Madison, I suspect that Madison will not have a good day. ADVANTAGE - UCONN If the assignment becomes a team effort of Ashlynn, KK, and Q I still think it will continue to be ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers 6'0" RS Jr. vs Shaylee Gonzales 5'10" Gr.
- Shaylee has scored over 2000 points in her career but she will be playing against a bonified candidate for player of the year in Paige Beuckers. I expect that Paige will be too much for Shaylee in most areas. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl 5'11" Sr. vs Rori Harmon 5'6" Jr.
- This match-up could prove to be the most exciting match-up of the game. Both are defensive stoppers, both can distribute the basketball and both can score if they have to. Rory is closer to mid-season form than Nika ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

BENCH:

As I listed above the UConn bench is somewhat anemic and does not produce anywhere near what the Texas bench produces Texas has 32.6 points; and 23.5 rebounds; UConn has 20.5 points and 9.2 rebounds coming off the bench. Additionally, Texas brings 6'4", 6'4", 6'2", 6'1" 6'1", 6'0", and 5'11" while, UConn brings 6'6", 6'3", 5'11", 5'10", 5'9", 5'9". ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

INTANGIBLES:

This game is being played in Austin, TX. There is a considerable amount of uncertainty with the UConn roster... ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

COACHING:

The one consistency on this team is the coaching...Geno et al. are more experienced and are more accomplished... ADVANTAGE UCONN

SCORE:

UConn - 76
Texas - 67

MOV - 9

Last edited:
Reaction Score
COMMENTS:

I think we are all in agreement that having the past week off was a good thing for the UConn Huskies. The Cayman Islands was pretty rough going for the Huskies. UCLA was already in mid-season form while the Huskies were reeling from the loss of Azzi for the season and Caroline Ducharme being out of the line-up and uncertainty surrounding if and when she will return. Paige coming off a 500-plus day lay-off due to her own injuries was expected to put the team on her shoulders and pull off a couple of wins. Despite a 31-point effort in game one and a 19-point effort in game two...she almost pulled it off. However, UCLA proved to be too much for UConn (12 threes is hard to overcome) when you don't have the shooters to match it.

Next up is 7-0 Texas...but, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...they haven't really played anyone of consequence yet. Their opponent's RPI rankings are as follows: 63, 133, 181, 183, 190, 191 and 208. Texas' opponent's SOS is also unimpressive and their collective SOS rankings are as follows: 24, 32, 45, 77, 80, 152, and 191. Finally, the Massey ratings of their opponents are as follows: 77, 75, 147, 189, 231, 234 and 249.

Texas starts: Shaylee Gonzales 5'10" graduate guard; Rori Harmon, 5'6" junior guard; Madison Booker 6'1" freshman forward; Amina Muhammad 6'4" freshman forward and Taylor Jones 6'4"senior forward. Their starters average 56.3 points of the Longhorn's 88.9 points or 63.3 percent of the team's total game points.

The Longhorns bench accounts for 32. 6 points and 23.5 rebounds. Their bench has 6'0" Shay Holle who plays 24.3 minutes per game; 6'4" Kadikja Faye - 16.4 minutes per game; 6'2" Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda - 17.3 minutes; 6'1" Aaliyah Moore - 13.9 minutes; and 5'11" Gisella Maul - 13.6 minutes per game.

UConn's bench accounts for 20.5 points and 9.2 rebounds...this production would appear to be quite anemic compared to the bench production from Texas.

The obvious thing that jumps out to me is that Texas has quite a bit of size on their roster and there isn't even any mention of the 6'9" freshman (Abby Boutilcer) who hasn't played in any of their games yet.
They are not a particularly good 3-point shooting team, but they put a lot of points up on the board. Again this is probably because they haven't really played anybody who was that good yet. For all their size they only average 4.3 blocks per game. They average about 20 assists with only 11.3 turnovers per game. They force 25.5 turnovers per game and average 20 steals per game...indicating that they can put pressure on the ball and UConn will have to take care of the basketball.

Rory Harmon was named a pre-season All-American honorable mention...Rory is also the Big 12's pre-season Player of the Year. Last year she was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. She holds the school record for most assists per game at 7.4 and last year was ranked 4th in the country for assists per game. Rori was also named to the 2024 16-person list for the Wade Trophy for Player of the Year

Notables:

HORNS ON D: Last season the Longhorns were 22-0 when they held an opponent to 59 points or less. In the 2023-24 season Texas ranks ninth in the NCAA in turnovers forced per game at 26.75.

ASSIST-TO: The Longhorns rank first in the Big 12 and third in the NCAA this season in assists to turnover ratio. Texas is averaging 23.8 assists per game and 11.5 turnovers per game.

ON THE BOARDS: The Longhorns are +18.3 in rebounding margin this season and have a 92-20 advantage in second-chance points.

POUNDING THE PAINT: The Longhorns have had a significant post presence this season as they lead opponents 212-86 in paint points, including an 80-36 edge over UT Arlington last time out.

NO. 1 RECRUITING CLASS: On Nov. 8 the Longhorns signed what ESPN.Com has ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. The Horns are the only school in the country with two top-10 signees.

GONZALES CAREER SCORING: Shaylee Gonzales knows how to put the ball in the basket. Gonzales has scored 2,047 career points, which ranks fifth among all active women's DI college basketball players.

I believe that Texas has not faced a team like UConn and that UConn's ball pressure is going to force Texas into turning the ball over more than they are used to. But, it also appears that the Longhorns can bring significant ball pressure of their own...so, this could be a very good defensive game with the score being in the seventies.

MATCH-UPS:

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" Sr. vs Taylor Jones 6'4" Sr.
- Aaliyah is playing somewhat below her offensive capabilities. She is currently averaging 14.3 points a game...I believe Aaliyah is closer to a 20-point-per-game player. She is also averaging 6.7 rebounds per game and I also believe that this is below her capabilities...I believe that Aaliyah is actually a 9-rebound per-game player. The question in this game is will Aaliyah return to form or will Taylor Jones continue being the scoring machine she was earlier in this season? Statistically, this match-up is a tie...but, Aaliyah is a strong player who can body up her opponent...I am going with a slight... ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Caroline Ducharrme 6'2" Jr. vs Amina Muhammad 6'4" So.
- I am not even sure if Caroline is going to play...if she doesn't that creates a terrible mismatch at this position unless Ice Brady can raise her quality of play. It isn't feasible to expect Amari to step in and be a starter nor is it palpable to expect Ashlynn Shade, Q, or KK to be able to step up to defend a 6'4" player like Amina. The only other option is to move Aubrey over to defend Amina which would pave the way for either Ashlynn or KK to start on Madison. So, with this uncertainty in mind if the match-up between Caroline and Amina were to happen Caroline has proven that she can defend a taller player and she has proven that she can be that other scorer that UConn needs...unfortunately, that hasn't been the case this season. Caroline's numbers are way down. Amina is a solid 10-point and 7-rebound player. ADVANTAGE - TEXAS If Aubrey gets the Assignment then: ADVANTAGE - EVEN

Aubrey Griffin 6'1" Gr. vs Madison Booker 6'1" Fr.
- Again this is a match-up that may not happen as it depends on what happens with Caroline Ducharme. Aubrey's and Madison's statistical comparison is very close with Aubrey having a slight advantage. However, with the kind of defense that Aubrey will bring to Madison, I suspect that Madison will not have a good day. ADVANTAGE - UCONN If the assignment becomes a team effort of Ashlynn, KK, and Q I still think it will continue to be ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers 6'0" RS Jr. vs Shaylee Gonzales 5'10" Gr.
- Shaylee has scored over 2000 points in her career but she will be playing against a bonified candidate for player of the year in Paige Beuckers. I expect that Paige will be too much for Shaylee in most areas. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl 5'11" Sr. vs Rori Harmon 5'6" Jr.
- This match-up could prove to be the most exciting match-up of the game. Both are defensive stoppers, both can distribute the basketball and both can score if they have to. Rory is closer to mid-season form than Nika ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

BENCH:

As I listed above the UConn bench is somewhat anemic and does not produce anywhere near what the Texas bench produces Texas has 32.6 points; and 23.5 rebounds; UConn has 20.5 points and 9.2 rebounds coming off the bench. Additionally, Texas brings 6'4", 6'4", 6'2", 6'1" 6'1", 6'0", and 5'11" while, UConn brings 6'6", 6'3", 5'11", 5'10", 5'9", 5'9". ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

INTANGIBLES:

This game is being played in Austin, TX. There is a considerable amount of uncertainty with the UConn roster... ADVANTAGE - TEXAS

COACHING:

The one consistency on this team is the coaching...Geno et al. are more experienced and are more accomplished... ADVANTAGE UCONN

SCORE:

UConn - 76
Texas - 67

MOV - 9
The women could use a boost by having Sarah Strong committing to UCONN on Friday [not based on any known info... just that it would boost my spirits following today's hernia surgery]

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
ESPN ranked Texas recruiting class #1 BEFORE the signing period. They dropped to #4 after signing week.

Not relevant to this game though
Thanks sometimes I forget to look at the time stamp for some of these articles.

Reaction Score
Thanks again, for the analysis, @cferraro04.

I think I have to disagree with some of your observations this time, though it may be merely my own anxieties.

Aaliyah vs Jones -- I think this is advantage Texas. Playing next to Dorka last year, this was a manageable matchup, but even then and with Jones recovering from injury, she was a handful.

I don't know what Geno can do with Muhammad. She's long and tall and pretty quick. Caroline is not a match for her on D, even healthy. Neither is Aubrey. If that's the way Geno goes, I think we're looking at foul trouble. But can Ice play enough minutes to make an impact on her?

Will Moore play? If she does, then we are in deep trouble. Aaliyah is the only possible matchup there, but then Muhammad and Jones are unleashed against the rest of the frontline.

Mwenentanda? She doesn't usually start, but she is a scrappy long limbed 6'2". Who matches up against her? My initial reaction would be Qadence, but she has yet to become the defensive force she can be.

I think our only real strength in this game is in the back court. Paige, Nika, KK, and Ashlynn are good matchups for Rori, Shaylee and Shay. If we can out-quick this trio, we have a chance. Otherwise, I'm not at all confident. In part, that's because we have yet to see Geno play the pressing game. That's how we discombobulated Texas last season. And they pressed us, too, and it took Azzi to defeat it.

And, by the way, Texas has played a team like UConn before -- they played us last season and it was pretty much the same players minus Rori, who was injured. I don't think we'll look at all surprising to them. We ran them off the floor, powered by a career game from Azzi. But the current Huskies don't appear configured to do that again.

My main fear is that the starters will play too many minutes, especially Paige, and they'll be exhausted by the 4th quarter. And that's not even considering the injury risk this could entail.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Really looking forward to the game on Sunday.

Texas' strength this season is in the front court as these 3 players will see a lot of minutes trying to get Edwards into early foul trouble:

6'4 Taylor Jones
6'4 Hadi Faye
6'4 Amina Muhammad

These 2 power forwards are recovering from injuries:

6'1 Aaliyah Moore (played for the first time this season on Saturday after having injured her ACL last December)
6'2 DeYona Gaston (has not played this season after an ankle injury in the intrasquad scrimmage in late October)

Texas is not a very good 3-point shooting team, and doesn't take a lot of them as pounding the ball inside is the goal. Will UConn play a zone defense (most teams do against Texas) or play man-to-man?

The dribble-drive is still a huge part of the offense; but, Texas does not have the super quick guards like we did a couple of seasons ago; only Rori Harmon fits that mold.

The biggest mismatch is who guards Paige? Shaylee Gonzales is just not quick enough, IMO. So, that leaves several inexperienced underclassmen guards/wings to try and contain/frustrate her (without fouling).

Vic swears by man-to-man defense. So, don't expect to see any zone defense from Texas on Sunday, especially if UConn's front court doesn't have a lot of depth.

Based on UConn's shortened roster, I do expect Texas to try and press from baseline to baseline. If UConn's experienced guards break the press easily, then I expect it will decrease over the course of the game.

My key to the game? Rebounding and second chance points.

Reaction Score
Texas-78
UConn-65
I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see how we’re going to come up with the points! Vic is a great coach and he’s gonna see our weaknesses and exploit them! The only way we win this game is if, by some miracle, Caroline, Aaliyah, and Aubrey all have throwback games and that’s pretty unlikely. I mean, would it really surprise anyone if Caroline can’t even play?
This is a tough matchup for a team as shorthanded, undersized, and young as this one. I’m hoping for good effort and better cohesion but I think a win may be too much to ask for under these circumstances.

Reaction Score
Before even considering the various matchups, I think there are several unknowns regarding player's condition or availability that are unanswered although probably known by the team.

Caroline from the sounds of things could be day to day for the rest of the season. If she feels good for one game it doesn't mean the problem is over, it could return the next game etc. Only after a long stretch with no concussion symptoms of any kind, can you safely assume it is behind her, and apparently we are nowhere close to that yet.

As of the last game AE was not playing because of her hit to the head. Maybe I missed it, but has she been cleared to play yet? I suspect she will play and it is nothing serious, but she could in theory have concussion issues herself, probably not but I wish we could get clarification that she is OK for Sunday.

Paige was limping near the end of the game. Once again probably not a big concern, but with this team's and player's track record with injuries I can't just assume she is fine and 100%.

Ayanna was expected to be ready by the start of the season but the recovery is not happening as expected and with no timeline for her return the question of a red-shirt year has surfaced. In her case we pretty much do know she is still out for a while, and until she is participating at a high level and practicing, the day to day speculation won't even begin.

I expect the news on Paige and AE to be good, but when someone ends the prior game with an issue I don't think you can be sure everything is OK until that is revealed. In Caroline's case probably a game-time decision. Against teams as good as Texas we can't afford much more bad news so I wish the team would confirm that Paige and AE are good to go.

PvP

Reaction Score
Great review as always. Key will be defense and points from Aubrey and the frosh.
I agree your pre-game analyses are always of interest. I wonder if you have considered doing a post-game report card on your earlier analysis?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I agree with @Bone Dog 's analysis: I don't know what Geno can do with Muhammad. She's long and tall and pretty quick. Caroline is not a match for her on D, even healthy.
Even in her fantastic freshman season, I don't see Caroline defending a 6'4" opponent. And this season if Muhammad takes her spot in the low post, odds are she is only going to collect fouls with Caroline on her back.
If Caroline starts, I would think her and Aubrey would swap defensive assignments.
But alas, I really, really hope that Caroline doesn't start, or play a lot of minutes, against such a long team as the Longhorns. Save her for Ball State.
I don't know how Geno is going to matchup the Huskies against the Longhorns, but we have Paige and they don't.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I also agree with Bone Dog's
concerns...Texas is long and athletic.

I also agree with the concerns of oldhusky
The health and availability of some of UConn's players is uncertain.

The truth is UConn could find itself in a heap of trouble with Texas' frontcourt players....and, our only salvation could come from the backcourt. However, that would require superior three-point shooting from all of our guards...which hasn't manifested so far this season. It is going to be difficult driving to the basket given the length of Texas' bigs and their propensity to be able to bring help when needed.

Playing this game in Austin doesn't help either... I admit I have donned my blue-colored glasses and I am hopeful that the player's week-long rest has paid off, UConn's players were somewhat banged up after their last game, and I am also hopeful that Geno and his staff have come up with a good and effective game strategy. I do not underestimate Vic's coaching acumen but, I hope the brain trust of UConn's coaching staff is enough to pull off a win. I think getting this win is huge and will have implications come tournament selection time.

When it comes to a game like this it is difficult knowing that we have a 6'6" who just can't seem to find her niche; a 6'5" who is on the IR list, a 6'3" who is expected back soon but no one knows when and a 6'2" whose inexperience creates a lack of confidence from the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
@cferraro04 who are you referring to here "and a 6'2" whose inexperience creates a lack of confidence from the coaching staff."? If it's Ice, (and I am nitpicking) isn't she listed as being 6'3"?
If so, I don't agree that the coaching staff has a lack of confidence in her. Just my opinion.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
For those who have Longhorn Network, Texas playing a game against Oral Roberts at 12 PM EST.

Reaction Score
Looking at your advantages I see a couple that jump out at me. I don't think AE is an advantage if she is expected to be a post player especially if she is the only post player. I also think the coaching is even. Vic is a great coach and Geno is too but he also has a lot of issues he is working through with his team. I honestly think right now the way the team is playing they have one advantage in every game and that is Paige.

The bench is where it becomes interesting. To me UConn has a couple decent players coming off the bench and one that can be the microwave when she comes in, instant heat. KK was advertised as a quick guard and so far I would say in that metric she has been average and that needs to change quickly. She needs to free her mind and just play like she knows how to play. I would put Q in and feed her some shots right away, if she hits a couple she stays in for her offense, if not she comes back out to be inserted again with the same end in mind. Ashlyn must make shots. She plays hard but she isn't quick enough for her size so offense is where she really needs to excel and the team really needs it.

If I am the coach I stress to each individual what their role needs to be on this team and if they can't fill that role I would move on to the next option until I find my role players. Defense only wins games if you can also score and right now that is a challenge for UConn. The good news is all of their players are capable and I expect you will know shortly who is doing their job based on who continues to play.

Reaction Score
For those who have Longhorn Network, Texas playing a game against Oral Roberts at 12 PM EST.
Thanks. I watch most of their games because of the Longhorn Network. Didn't see this one as work got in the way .

Looks like they dominated in the paint. 78 shots taken, only 8 3s. Taylor Jones apparently had a career high 27 and 16 on 11-11. She really does well against smaller teams.

In any event I thought it was a great opening post on the thread. Pretty much spot on. I think AE is slightly better than Jones and will have to use her athleticism and quickness. I think Jones is really good tho but t even Ice could stretch her out, like she would be open from 3 all game.

Amina Muhammad is a real solid player and winner. Prior to today she was pulling close to 4 offensive rebounds a game. Nevertheless, she's not like a scorer so I don't think Caroline matching up with her is that bad.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Any guesses on the point spread? I'm guessing Texas -3.

I'm most interested in how well UConn defends Texas. They might be able to pack the paint like we did in Austin last year. Texas' 3-pt shooting is a question mark, though I think it's better than last year. Maul and Gonzales can shoot; Holle and Booker are probably solid too. Codio can shoot too but I'd be shocked if she cracks the rotation.

If UConn shoots 50% I will be very impressed. Texas is probably better but this is a substantial leap in competition. UConn's rotation still seems unsettled and their ball-movement has suffered.

Texas is starting to look like those Vic's State teams--this will be a good test.

Reaction Score
Before even considering the various matchups, I think there are several unknowns regarding player's condition or availability that are unanswered although probably known by the team.

Caroline from the sounds of things could be day to day for the rest of the season. If she feels good for one game it doesn't mean the problem is over, it could return the next game etc. Only after a long stretch with no concussion symptoms of any kind, can you safely assume it is behind her, and apparently we are nowhere close to that yet.

As of the last game AE was not playing because of her hit to the head. Maybe I missed it, but has she been cleared to play yet? I suspect she will play and it is nothing serious, but she could in theory have concussion issues herself, probably not but I wish we could get clarification that she is OK for Sunday.

Paige was limping near the end of the game. Once again probably not a big concern, but with this team's and player's track record with injuries I can't just assume she is fine and 100%.

Ayanna was expected to be ready by the start of the season but the recovery is not happening as expected and with no timeline for her return the question of a red-shirt year has surfaced. In her case we pretty much do know she is still out for a while, and until she is participating at a high level and practicing, the day to day speculation won't even begin.

I expect the news on Paige and AE to be good, but when someone ends the prior game with an issue I don't think you can be sure everything is OK until that is revealed. In Caroline's case probably a game-time decision. Against teams as good as Texas we can't afford much more bad news so I wish the team would confirm that Paige and AE are good to go.
Paige has patellar tendinitis that she has been managing. Obviously , you could see the pain in her face against Kansas. the biggest fear is if this gets worse she could be sidelined for weeks.

Reaction Score
One thing I've learned over the years..........you better not underestimate Vic Schaefer coached teams.........he gets as much from his players as any coach in the WBB game......
Yeah, I just looked at the boxscore of Texas’ game today. I think Vic is licking his chops for Sunday. His team appears to be in midseason form and playing extremely well. This is a seriously talented team led by imo, a top 4 point guard that is in total control of her team and her game And they are at home!
They are going up against a UConn team that really does not feature a single player who can be said to be playing at the top of her game, that has multiple players out of commission, and that is heavily reliant on four freshmen!
If we can win this game, I believe it will be one of Geno’s greatest efforts in recent memory! However, win or lose, I am hoping for a strong effort by our Huskies and that we can establish a more cohesive plan of attack on both sides of the ball. Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom