Game 5 observations | The Boneyard

Game 5 observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Didn't see these in the game thread.

1. I thought KLS forced it some when she put it on the floor. A lot of off-balance shots. Foster scouted her and had his team collapse in the middle. It is next step in the KLS expanded offense progression. She has to get used to kicking the ball out when the shot isn't there.

2. If there was ever a night for Kyla to get some extended time it was in this game: big lead, tough upcoming schedule and Danger out. Geno says that he is not going to play a kid if her teammates can't trust her. I know it's early still but you have to feel bad for her because you know she is busting her butt with very little to show for it.

3. Meg made a good point about Butler on the broadcast. Something to the effect that no matter how much Butler improves she can't keep falling away when takes shots on the block. It is a bad habit she has for a while that she can't seem to shake.

4. They haven't gotten much out of their press yet. The lack of depth limits them and they haven't needed it much in the last three games but I wonder if the staff is concerned. I am curious to see if they embrace DePaul's full court game on Thursday and press more

5. I have seen Gabby on a stationary bike twice now during games. I have not seen anywhere the reason. Is it her back? Knee? Is it a cause for concern.

Just stuff I think I saw.

Reaction Score
Didn't see these in the game thread.

1. I thought KLS forced it some when she put it on the floor. A lot of off-balance shots. Foster scouted her and had his team collapse in the middle. It is next step in the KLS expanded offense progression. She has to get used to kicking the ball out when the shot isn't there.

2. If there was ever a night for Kyla to get some extended time it was in this game: big lead, tough upcoming schedule and Danger out. Geno says that he is not going to play a kid if her teammates can't trust her. I know it's early still but you have to feel bad for her because you know she is busting her butt with very little to show for it.

3. Meg made a good point about Butler on the broadcast. Something to the effect that no matter how much Butler improves she can't keep falling away when takes shots on the block. It is a bad habit she has for a while that she can't seem to shake.

4. They haven't gotten much out of their press yet. The lack of depth limits them and they haven't needed it much in the last three games but I wonder if the staff is concerned. I am curious to see if they embrace DePaul's full court game on Thursday and press more

5. I have seen Gabby on a stationary bike twice now during games. I have not seen anywhere the reason. Is it her back? Knee? Is it a cause for concern.

Just stuff I think I saw.

4. I really don't see them pressing very much this year for two reasons. 1) They do not have the bench to guard against fouling and tiring. 2) They are just not a very good pressing team. They lack the ball pressure that Jefferson provided and the security blanket that Stewie provided at the rim if teams broke the press.

5. I think Williams uses the stationary bike to keep her knees from stiffening up after her 2 acl surgeries.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
my responses:
1. I didn't have a problem with most of Lou's shots - in most games she will either make those or get fouled - the Mocs did a good job of not getting called for fouls - and she had one shot that I hope Geno starts running for her with regularity - the classic Maya rise and fire off a screen around the free throw line - she has such a quick high release that it is unstoppable and she swished the one she got today.

2. I think you can see the fight and maybe a little pressing in her game - but she did some nice things including a sweet entry pass to Butler - I think up to this point Uconn is a better entry pass team this year than last - they are making some great ones. I think paradoxically Crystal being unavailable may have cut Kyla's minutes in this game - I suspect he doesn't want Molly and Kyla on the floor at the same time until the waning minutes and with Crystal unavailable, Molly was needed throughout to spell Kia, Lou, and Saniya. If Crystal was available he might have player them together a for a few minutes.

3. It is a constant refrain from Meg on every player who posts up every year after they miss one. Strangely she never suggests they try a fade after they get one or two blocked. :) Or after they make a fade away like Colliers pretty first basket. I expect Butler gets a fair number of her shots blocked in practice against Azura and Collier - she doesn't get a lot of elevation - and the Mocs have a good shot blocker so I don't have a problem with fades showing up from time to time.

4. I don't think we will see much serious pressing from this team unless Geno really starts trusting Gabby, Napheesa, and Lou to not foul, and starts trusting his bench more. The team really cannot afford any extra fouls at the moment. So far it has pretty much been confined to token pressure.

5. I think it is just keeping her legs warm and not related to an injury - I did notice her hobble for a few steps after a rebound - minor tweak of her ankle and she didn't favor it for more than maybe ten steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom