Gail Goestenkors ready to return to coaching | The Boneyard

Gail Goestenkors ready to return to coaching

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Any P5 jobs opening soon?

Well, that's crux of the problem with this desired return? As the article pointed out, only the Villanova position is open now and I don't think that's quite what GG has in mind. Plus, given the huge uncertainty brought on by Coronavirus, most athletic postions seem to be firmly holding steady. So, she's kind of all dressed up with no place to go.

However, next year could see a lot more open playing field. And given the location of her greatest success came at Duke, I'd be paying attention to how things pan out at, among other schools, Vanderbilt and UVA (I'm just not sold on Thompson in the ACC). And there had been rumblings about Purdue, as well....

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, that's crux of the problem with this desired return? As the article pointed out, only the Villanova position is open now and I don't think that's quite what GG has in mind. Plus, given the huge uncertainty brought on by Coronavirus, most athletic postions seem to be firmly holding steady. So, she's kind of all dressed up with no place to go.

However, next year could see a lot more open playing field. And given the location of her greatest success came at Duke, I'd be paying attention to how things pan out at, among other schools, Vanderbilt and UFA (I'm just not sold on Thompson in the ACC). And there had been rumblings about Purdue, as well....
Sorry but I would completely steer clear of Gail if I was a power 5 school. Frankly, Gail should look at the Villanova job to repair her reputation as a coach. She was a star at Duke, failed terribly at Texas and has done nothing noteworthy since.

Who is UFA? did you mean UVA and Tina Thompson? to me, it's too soon on her as it's only been 2 years and she inherited a terrible program from Joanne Boyle. They showed signs this year and played a BRUTAL schedule. Even harder than ND's schedule. From an ACC question mark are Butler at Clemson and whoever the guy is at Pittsburgh.

Purdue is disillusioned about who and what they are in the WCBB landscape. They believe they are elite but the hard facts are they are above average and not an annual Top 25 program. Sharon Versyp's contract runs through June 2022 with a one-year buy out provision (current salary $603K). So in theory, they could buy her out now for $603K or wait a year to do it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ironically, this news comes just as Karen Aston's contract is set to expire and the Texas position **might** be coming open. Although with coronavirus bla bla bla, who knows what's in the AD's head right now. Not that GG would be a candidate there anyway.

How about Villanova? She'd be a good fit there I think, just as the conference takes a huge step up with UConn returning. Might not even be any p5 openings this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Rutgers in another year or so??

james evANS.gif

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wish this happened a year ago and Tennessee hired her. GG at her peak had her program at a peer level with Tennessee and Connecticut from 1999-2007. Winning records against both Pat and Geno while at Duke and transformed the program into a powerhouse. She never seemed to have the same fire in her belly once she left. If that is back, whoever lands her is getting a heck of a coach.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How about Villanova? She'd be a good fit there I think, just as the conference takes a huge step up with UConn returning. Might not even be any p5 openings this year.

Love Harry but for years Villanova WBB has been associated with a certain style of basketball that was not attractive to elite recruits. With the incredible success Jay Wright has had on the men's side I don't see why there couldn't be more success in women's basketball. I have a degree from Villanova so I'm a little biased, but it's a good school with a beautiful campus that is 10 miles from Philadelphia. The new Finneran Pavillion is a perfect venue for women's games. Plus, UConn is now on the schedule. I'm not suggesting the Villanova job is right for Gail (or vice versa) but I'm hoping the 'Nova AD makes an exciting hire.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Wish this happened a year ago and Tennessee hired her. GG at her peak had her program at a peer level with Tennessee and Connecticut from 1999-2007. Winning records against both Pat and Geno while at Duke and transformed the program into a powerhouse. She never seemed to have the same fire in her belly once she left. If that is back, whoever lands her is getting a heck of a coach.

It has been said that GG has been ready to come back for a couple of years now and that ADs have just not talked to her.

Reaction Score
I can see why most AD's would tend to avoid her. One reason she left Duke, aside from the goldmine that Texas threw at her, was her running conflict with the AD. You also have a person who has not been involved in coaching a women's college basketball team in 8 years. Connections are important in running a successful program. That was one of her problems at Texas. She had no connections. While she certainly did well at Duke, she wasn't successful at Texas, so it has been 15 years since her last successful college stint. WCBB has changed quite a bit since then. The number of good programs has increased exponentially and we have more parity with respect to both players and the quality of coaches. Looking at her situation objectively, she would be a risky hire.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I can see why most AD's would tend to avoid her. One reason she left Duke, aside from the goldmine that Texas threw at her, was her running conflict with the AD. You also have a person who has not been involved in coaching a women's college basketball team in 8 years. Connections are important in running a successful program. That was one of her problems at Texas. She had no connections. While she certainly did well at Duke, she wasn't successful at Texas, so it has been 15 years since her last successful college stint. WCBB has changed quite a bit since then. The number of good programs has increased exponentially and we have more parity with respect to both players and the quality of coaches. Looking at her situation objectively, she would be a risky hire.

She was a pro assistant in 2014 and 2015, plus has broadcasted games over the last several years. She's always been around the sport and likely still has connections even if she didnt do great at Texas. The AD at Duke gave her zero respect so I wouldnt consider that a red flag.

She's a former NCOY, has coached in 4 Final Fours and 2 title games, and is a Hall of Famer. I cant imagine too many ADs would overlook her if she was seriously interested in their program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Love Harry but for years Villanova WBB has been associated with a certain style of basketball that was not attractive to elite recruits. With the incredible success Jay Wright has had on the men's side I don't see why there couldn't be more success in women's basketball. I have a degree from Villanova so I'm a little biased, but it's a good school with a beautiful campus that is 10 miles from Philadelphia. The new Finneran Pavillion is a perfect venue for women's games. Plus, UConn is now on the schedule. I'm not suggesting the Villanova job is right for Gail (or vice versa) but I'm hoping the 'Nova AD makes an exciting hire.
You and I are very much on the same page here :) :

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She can't get the UNLV spot they just hired one of Tara's assistants, Lindy La Rocque.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
It was said that her issues at Texas stemmed from one of Jody Conrad’s asst. that got cut when GG got hired going around the Texas AAU circle and effectively blackballing GG in Texas.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was said that her issues at Texas stemmed from one of Jody Conrad’s asst. that got cut when GG got hired going around the Texas AAU circle and effectively blackballing GG in Texas.
Yes. And I think we heard more about that because she (the assistant) was an assistant at Rutgers for a year, maybe 2. She was at a Cager's Club meeting and I can't say she was particularly likable.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No way
Ok so what was with your John Amos meme then on Knightbridge suggesting Rutgers? Which is actually a decent suggestion as it has a commitment to WCBB that would allow GG to go against her longtime rival Brenda...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
To this day, I'm still very disappointed Gail didn't work out better at Texas. I can understand bringing Gale Valley with her as one of her assistant coaches; I thought her hiring Micki DeMoss was a homerun hire. Her hiring LaKale Malone from Nebraska was a huge head-scratcher; that hire should have been someone with recruiting connections (high school & club) within the state of Texas. Not sure why no one follows my advice . . . :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom