Gaffney took a big step forward tonight | The Boneyard

Gaffney took a big step forward tonight

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
He’s gotta keep his head up. His body language makes it look like he gets really down on himself when he makes a bad play.

Agreed, though. He was more assertive tonight.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played good defense which will keep Gaffney’s minutes limited but we need a point guard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's slow with a mediocre handle. He seems strong and can get in the paint and finish at the rim.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played good defense which will keep Gaffney’s minutes limited but we need a point guard.
Gaffney clearly isn't ready, neither is Gilbert...it's a problem.

Gilbert played really well the few games leading up to Indiana but the last two are unacceptable from a senior. He came out totally unfocused. He is our best perimeter defender he just has to figure it out on O for us to have a good season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Gilbert played really well the few games leading up to Indiana but the last two are unacceptable from a senior. He came out totally unfocused. He is our best perimeter defender he just has to figure it out on O for us to have a good season.
A senior in years but only second year of college play.

Reaction Score
Outside of the early TO's I thought AG played ok. His D was menacing. His passes to shooters were crisp and in the right spot. He had a few drive and dishes. Ball movement was fine and it looked like they were experimenting new plays. Not much hero ball. 6 assists and 5 steals. Nothing stellar, but not terrible if you take out the first few TO's.

Reaction Score
Gaffney it seemed became over confident. He's certainly made a step forward but needs to play within himself (and the team). Late in the game he 'thought' he could do too much and forced things.

As my Grandfather used to say, he started smelling himself.

Anyway with confidence comes better performance, hopefully he will build on tonight.

Reaction Score

Sadly you are right. And the criticism is bound to continue which Hurley defended last time for Gilbert. Didn’t expect it against a cupcake.

Reaction Score
Gaffney made shots tonight(which is good!), but his handle is so suspect and he plays pretty soft with the ball I think because he lacks confidence in his handle. That's why he had 4 TO.

Whenever he's under pressure, watch out, he's liable to panic.

Reaction Score
Hurley really wanted to see what this bench was made of. He spread out the minutes. If we keep polley and josh plus Akok in there for 30 plus minutes we win this game by 25. He really wanted to test the bench and start giving Gaffney more time. He did well until last 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is going to be an excellent four year player but he's really a true freshman developmentally. Like he's that ONE GUY on the roster who you can see actively getting overwhelmed when the game speeds up and he just kinda loses it.

I'm not so much down on his handle as I notice more that he gets caught in between commiting and not and gets trapped easily and stuck in weird, no-man's land places offensively. He's actually really intelligent in distribution, is good at not forcing things - he's just not confident enough in his own decision making yet - and that'll come with more playing time.

Love him as an option for 4-5 minute stretches, but he's pretty easy to expose once you've got him up and down the court enough. And he's not super helpful defensively. He's not terrible, he's just not that good yet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gaffney is going to be an excellent four year player but he's really a true freshman developmentally. Like he's that ONE GUY on the roster who you can see actively getting overwhelmed when the game speeds up and he just kinda loses it.

I'm not so much down on his handle as I notice more that he gets caught in between commiting and not and gets trapped easily and stuck in weird, no-man's land places offensively. He's actually really intelligent in distribution, is good at not forcing things - he's just not confident enough in his own decision making yet - and that'll come with more playing time.

Love him as an option for 4-5 minute stretches, but he's pretty easy to expose once you've got him up and down the court enough. And he's not super helpful defensively. He's not terrible, he's just not that good yet.

This. His handle is fine. It’s mental. He’s not seeing how the D reacts soon enough, not thinking far enough ahead. That will come. He got better today.

Reaction Score

Your entire post is well-taken, but this paragraph strikes me as really on target. Gaffney is tentative, yes, but he seems to have a "distribute first" mentality that AG lacks. And I notice a peripheral cognizance -- an awareness of the wings as opposed to AG's obsession with the interior. Add to this that the guy has a decent outside shot and a strong finish at the basket, and you have a potentially complete offensive point. As much as anyone on the team, he needs playing time, as you rightly suggest.

Reaction Score
This team really has some interesting pieces and talent all around, but college basketball is still about the point guards. We need playmakers and the ball moving around. Polley, Akok, Carlton, Bouknight, can all get baskets. Adams and Vital are largely the same player that can slash when given the opportunity, play good defense, rebound, hit the occasional 3. Wilson and Whaley off the bench can give valuable defensive minutes. But it seems everything really depends on Gilbert and Gaffney. The 2 Gs at PG.

Reaction Score
Gafney did not look good. Can't sugar coat it. Against St. Peter's! I'm as optimistic as anyone but I saw him play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom