Gaffney: The old coach in me says that this kid can play. | The Boneyard

Gaffney: The old coach in me says that this kid can play.

Reaction Score
Have the same feeling for JG that I had for Whaley and Adams. The old coach in me says that this kid can play. Hurley on Coaches Show said he is 85 to 90 % right now because of recovery from a bad sprained ankle.
I look for him to start contributing vs St Joes and continue on an upward trend for the rest of the season- he will fit in nicely with Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Have the same feeling for JG that I had for Whaley and Adams. The old coach in me says that this kid can play. Hurley on Coaches Show said he is 85 to 90 % right now because of recovery from a bad sprained ankle.
I look for him to start contributing vs St Joes and continue on an upward trend for the rest of the season- he will fit in nicely with Bouknight.
He missed 20 or so practices, which is why he has looked so tentative.

Reaction Score
He missed 20 or so practices, which is why he has looked so tentative.
He looked like he was moving with cement shoes on. I hope his ankle improves in the next few weeks. I honestly felt like he was MAYBE 50% but Coach Hurley probably thinks he is not going to do further damage to it and is trying to feed him some time since we will need him this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what we've seen out of Gaffney so far would compel anyone to have an opinion, either positive or negative, about his ability and what he might become. We just haven't seen anything to form an opinion.

Except for one ginormous airball 3. :)

Reaction Score
A little bit of Darius Smith
lol what???
He’s got a bum ankle right now. Gaffney has a WAY higher ceiling than Darius Smith.

Darius had no shot, was slow, couldn’t get off the ground very high, and lasted at UConn for one season.
Nothing like what Gaffney is now or will be

Reaction Score
I'm with you superjohn just needs to get healthy and some time. Missing 20 practices is a lot but he'll get there. Looking forward to seeing him and Bouk together a lot of future with these guys.

Reaction Score
I've lowkey always viewed Gaffney as a player that resembled the likes of Craig Austrie and Jalen Adams, just at the point guard position (a better playmaker than both). I think he has a very high ceiling but his ankle injury has clearly affected his recent play. I'm more than positive that as he continues to get more real-game experience his play will gradually pick up. After all, he is a freshman and played in his first college game last Friday.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’ve watched two games he played in high school. Kid has game. Like John said he’s missed a lot of practice time and is still not completely recovered.

No one can realistically form an impression from the limited time he’s played but based on what I observed from the two high school games I watched the future looks bright for UConn.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
give the minutes to Vital. needs 40 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we will find out real soon like tomorrow nite. Any recruit with his ranking should be able to have a big impact. Expect great news at hall time tomorrow nite Javontel Brown Furgeson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People forget Neils Giffey’s first shot in a UConn uniform was a massive air ball

Yeah, but what was his last shot???? It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

(And OBTW, I really am curious what was the result of his last shot)

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah, but what was his last shot???? It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

(And OBTW, I really am curious what was the result of his last shot)

niels-giffey-last-shot-uconn-png.48030
niels giffey last shot uconn.PNG

From Kentucky vs. UConn - Play-By-Play - April 7, 2014 - ESPN.

It's not how you finish -- it's how you win the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looked back, Giffey missed a jumper for his last shot.

What came flooding back to me looking at the play by play was seeing Lasan Kromah’s big rebounds and free throws to help win that game in the last few minutes. Huge!!!!

Reaction Score
A super random comp/projection I just came up with for Jalen is Devonte' Graham

Reaction Score
lol what???
He’s got a bum ankle right now. Gaffney has a WAY higher ceiling than Darius Smith.

Darius had no shot, was slow, couldn’t get off the ground very high, and lasted at UConn for one season.
Nothing like what Gaffney is now or will be

And Darius was rated higher than Gaffney coming in...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom