Gabby's Hip and the WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Gabby's Hip and the WNBA Draft

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is there a connection? I seem to remember a Stanford(?) player who went high with folks knowing she would not or probably not be available at all that first season. Even if the answer for Gabby is rest, there is no time to rest given the scheduling constraints of draft and season for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Is there a connection? I seem to remember a Stanford(?) player who went high with folks knowing she would not or probably not be available at all that first season. Even if the answer for Gabby is rest, there is no time to rest given the scheduling constraints of draft and season for the WNBA.

Wasn't Tamika Catchings drafted after tearing her ACL her senior year? Indiana figured she was worth waiting for, and they were right.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Achonwa
upload_2018-3-6_12-45-27.jpeg

Reaction Score
Gabby doesn’t have an ACL tear. Have they given her condition a name?

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone will talk to Geno or the staff about Gabby's hip issue, get assurances that it's not career-ending, and draft her. I would feel different if she'd had this for the last couple of years and it chronically hindered her ability to play.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray I think didn't play her first season of the WNBA due to injury and she was still drafted by the Connecticut Sun as the 11th pick.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
She has described it as psoas muscle issue. The term for the particular condition I have not heard.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I find it very strategic not wanting to talk about her hip injury with the draft seemingly just steps away.

I also know she doesn't like to talk about injury, period.

I do not feel a player should be pressured into talking to media about injuries as its unfair and unjust to start nation wide concern for a player entering the draft. I found all the reporters questions offensive and I commend Gabby for gracefully declining to comment.

It's in the media's job description to ask the hard questions. But come on, Gabby has worked so hard to be where she is today it's just not right for the media to highlight her injury. She deserves to talk about where she has taken her team this year, not intimate details about her personal health. Disrespect.

I may not hold the popular opion but I stick to it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray I think didn't play her first season of the WNBA due to injury and she was still drafted by the Connecticut Sun as the 11th pick.
Good to see you, Saki! What is your namesake up to now?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Yes. Hard to pronounce or spell. Basically an inflammation of a ligament or tendon (I cannot keep them straight) in hip and the nature of such things is the inflammation creeps or can creep to muscle too. In season it cannot be aggressively treated. It is not a surgery type situation generally.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes. Hard to pronounce or spell. Basically an inflammation of a ligament or tendon (I cannot keep them straight) in hip and the nature of such things is the inflammation creeps or can creep to muscle too. In season it cannot be aggressively treated. It is not a surgery type situation generally.

The fancy name is quoted above, but it's more commonly called a hip flexor or runner's hip (I believe the iliopsoas is one muscle, the hip flexor may be more than one muscle). In my case it's entirely muscular, although I could see how it could originate in a tendon. General prescription is stretching, antiinflammatories, and rest if the stretching doesn't work. I suspect what Gabby has is worse than what I have/had, although I was pretty debilitated last fall. If I were a WNBA coach/GM I wouldn't be put off by it at all.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The fancy name is quoted above, but it's more commonly called a hip flexor or runner's hip (I believe the iliopsoas is one muscle, the hip flexor may be more than one muscle). In my case it's entirely muscular, although I could see how it could originate in a tendon. General prescription is stretching, antiinflammatories, and rest if the stretching doesn't work. I suspect what Gabby has is worse than what I have/had, although I was pretty debilitated last fall. If I were a WNBA coach/GM I wouldn't be put off by it at all.
It's an injury, as you've stated, that is clearly healable with rest and/or a large reduction in strenuous activity. Results can be seen with as little as 2 or 3 weeks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno said he created a position for Gabby. If the GMs are smart, they'll be thinking they need Gabby.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Good to see you, Saki! What is your namesake up to now?
Being jealous of all the continued success the Huskies are having :) Taken a step back from women's basketball for a bit, but still keeping tabs on Stanford and UConn... and Oregon is going to be tough in the coming years! Still wish Ionescu had taken the local choice and gone to Stanford... but I think the Cardinal were never in it anyway.

Good luck this year! Rooting for UConn to take the trophy again (if Stanford doesn't pull off massive upset after upset, of course :))

Reaction Score
Might she require surgery? Is she playing on a hip that should have been rested, or operated on? Is it a chronic condition that could hamper her career?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Might she require surgery? Is she playing on a hip that should have been rested, or operated on? Is it a chronic condition that could hamper her career?

According to Geno the answers are NO, NO, NO, and NO.

Reaction Score
No. No. No. It is nothing more than a overworked and strained muscle that will heal with simple rest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom