Gabby Williams........OMG!!!! | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams........OMG!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm so speechless after watching that incredible game-Gabby in particular, that it's taken me a while to form the words. As a very avg high school/college high jumper, I've always been amazed at great jumper sand track speedsters and have often thought, "Wow, it would be amazing if that athlete could perform on a basketball court".

Watching Gabby play brings that fantasy to reality. In 40 years of watching men's and women's basketball, I have never seen a player absolutely dominate a game with speed, quickness and hops like Gabby did tonight-it was like a cross between a basketball game and a Marvel comic book. Just flat out AWESOMENESS!!

Reaction Score
I'm so speechless after watching that incredible game-Gabby in particular, that it's taken me a while to form the words. As a very avg high school/college high jumper, I've always been amazed at great jumper sand track speedsters and have often thought, "Wow, it would be amazing if that athlete could perform on a basketball court".

Watching Gabby play brings that fantasy to reality. In 40 years of watching men's and women's basketball, I have never seen a player absolutely dominate a game with speed, quickness and hops like Gabby did tonight-it was like a cross between a basketball game and a Marvel comic book. Just flat out AWESOMENESS!!

I commented in a previous game thread that Gabby plays like a video game but superhero comic book works too!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Don't forget her power of invulnerability. Neck chops are just part of the job. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There are a few other players who can rival Gabby on the sheer athleticism front. Shakayla Thomas comes to mind. With all respect to Shakayla, though, I will take Gabby without hesitation.

I think I read or heard somewhere that at the end of last year, Gabby went to Geno's office to talk about what she wanted to do to get better in preparation for this year. From what I recall she wasn't merely serious, she was tearfully earnest about her desire to be exactly what the team needed in the post Stew/MJ/Tuck era.

That's the difference. Sometimes supreme basketball athletes will be guilty of coasting on their physical talent from time to time. Gabby is what happens when you take the athleticism and add a team-centered determination to go all out, all the time.

Reaction Score

Love Gabby, but that's a little overboard. Jordan himself was within 40 years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm so speechless after watching that incredible game-Gabby in particular, that it's taken me a while to form the words. . . . In 40 years of watching men's and women's basketball, I have never seen a player absolutely dominate a game with speed, quickness and hops like Gabby did tonight-it was like a cross between a basketball game and a Marvel comic book. Just flat out AWESOMENESS!!

Doris mentioned that during timeouts Gabby was sitting on a heating pad, presumably to ease some pain back there (hammy?). So it may be said that she was a Badass with a sore ass. ;)

Reaction Score
CzHz4bUXAAIG6vi.jpg

Reaction Score
And from what I read on Twitter, Gabby Williams is a vegan? Did not know that.

I guess she doesn't need meat to get her protein; she just eats the opponent's basketballs*! :D

*fully synthetic basketballs, of course, free of animal products

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago I went to the Stanford game and I was talking with Gabby's father. He said that if Geno asked Gabby to sell tickets at the arena she would be selling tickets. What an incredible team player.

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago I went to the Stanford game and I was talking with Gabby's father. He said that if Geno asked Gabby to sell tickets at the arena she would be selling tickets. What an incredible team player.

Bellisimo.

I've never seen a player develop like she has. She couldn't shoot a free throw as a freshman. Although, you couldn't discount the amount of production, I certainly didn't project a player that could profoundly impact the game at anytime from anywhere on the court. A selfless interview after the game and your anecdote. It's just incredible. Wonderful player.

Of course, it's easy to be effusive tonight, this was her signature game, so far.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I think I read or heard somewhere that at the end of last year, Gabby went to Geno's office to talk about what she wanted to do to get better in preparation for this year. From what I recall she wasn't merely serious, she was tearfully earnest about her desire to be exactly what the team needed in the post Stew/MJ/Tuck era.

I remember reading the same thing and thinking we'd be in good hands this season. I can't say I expected an 8-0 start, but that story about Gabby just spoke volumes to me about her (and the team's) dedication to the program and living up to the standards of the players who came before.

Here's the quote from Geno in a story from last April: “But already we’ve had conversations already about next year. I had one of the kids in my office — Gabby Williams was in my office last week and she was a little bit emotional talking about next year. She goes, ‘I know I gotta be ready for next year and that’s why I want to play so well now.’ I said, ‘How about you play well now and let me worry about next year?’ But next year is never far from our minds. Let’s put it that way.”

UConn's record-setting dominance was impressive, but it won't last

Not sure I care much for that headline though—let's hope it lasts a while longer! :)

Reaction Score
Bellisimo.

I've never seen a player develop like she has. She couldn't shoot a free throw as a freshman. Although, you couldn't discount the amount of production, I certainly didn't project a player that could profoundly impact the game at anytime from anywhere on the court. A selfless interview after the game and your anecdote. It's just incredible. Wonderful player.

Of course, it's easy to be effusive tonight, this was her signature game, so far.
I thought I heard many people talk Kelly Faris up as the ultimate all around basketball player. Would anyone here think she ranks up there effecting a basketball game as much as Maya Moore did???? Seriously. One game and everyone starts talking in superlatives that she surpasses Maya, Michael Jordan, Kelly Faris, Superman????? Where does this end????

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Rewind to 2016 NCAA Tournament -- playoff game in Bridgeport in March -- UConn vs. Texas.

We arrived very early, before media folks got seated, before teams came out formally. Some players (earlybirds, like us) were already out on the court, nonchalantly shooting hoops. Not purposely. Except one.

Gabby was taking shot after shot from the perimeter, so earnestly that she captured our attention. I even posted my impressions right here, little thinking that I may have spotted a microcosm of Gabby's seeming dedication to self-improvement.

Jeez, how prescient! :rolleyes:

(Actually, more like a manifestation of the old adage: "Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn").;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wonderful game by Williams last night. Seems like somebody different every night. Williams turn last night.

Being a world class athlete (not just a college athlete) in an individual sport probably has had some effect on how she approaches self improvement. She knows what it's like to work alone on specific things in order to improve herself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Three thoughts about Gabby.

1. Gabby has yet to lose a college game. She did not get any PT in the Stanford loss. As one of the BYers notes in his tag line, she was upset for not playing--upset at HERSELF for not giving Geno enough confidence to play her. I love that attitude!

2. She did a nice job as a role player as a freshman. She was a little foul prone and had not yet improved her FT shooting or jump shot (all of the misses were straight but long--she was too strong), but she added energy, rebounding, defense, and quick buckets. She didn't get very much PT in the tight national championship game. When she was in, she made a misplay, I believe a missed layup. Geno subbed her out, but gave her encouraging words even though the game situation was still tense. He was coaching her for the future.

3. Gabby started this season by taking over both pre-season games. Some of us wondered if it was simply a huge mismatch in athleticism. Could she do it against elite teams? Well, her numbers and performances dipped in the first 2 or 3 regular season games. But the reason was that she got into early foul trouble. Now that she has corrected that, she has become a monster of a player. She took on Ogunbowale and Turner last night, which was a big-time challenge. And she succeeded.

Gabby's all-around game is really good and still improving.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wonderful game by Williams last night. Seems like somebody different every night. Williams turn last night.

Being a world class athlete (not just a college athlete) in an individual sport probably has had some effect on how she approaches self improvement. She knows what it's like to work alone on specific things in order to improve herself.
I agree. We've had some VERY hard workers before, but Gabby is somehow different.

Reaction Score
Ran into KML, Kia and Gabby in a parking garage in Boston when Gabby and Kia were freshmen and I told Gabby then how great she was going to be once the torch was passed her way. Happy for her, the opportunity she's been given and how she has responded is just incredible. Long way to go until March but the grade right now is a pretty solid A.

Reaction Score
I thought I heard many people talk Kelly Faris up as the ultimate all around basketball player. Would anyone here think she ranks up there effecting a basketball game as much as Maya Moore did???? Seriously. One game and everyone starts talking in superlatives that she surpasses Maya, Michael Jordan, Kelly Faris, Superman????? Where does this end????
Ok, true. But this is sports, one area of life where can lose our minds, exaggerate in joyful excitement, and do no harm. So let's let it out. Gabby's performance is certainly no fluke. This may be her best game, but she has impacted any number of games in the past. Her performance is due to obvious athletic gifts and a strong will that are not going away. We can expect her shooting to steadily improve. There is reason to believe that she will graduate as another UConn AA and legend.

Reaction Score
I have never seen a player, man or woman, take over the game from tip-off to walk off in every aspect of the game like Gabby did. Not just taking over in the fourth quarter, but the whole game. Definitely should be on everyone's radar after the N.D. game. Still can't believe everything she did while playing 40 minutes. Even Superman took a break to chase Lois around for a bit.

Reaction Score
Three thoughts about Gabby.

1. Gabby has yet to lose a college game. She did not get any PT in the Stanford loss. As one of the BYers notes in his tag line, she was upset for not playing--upset at HERSELF for not giving Geno enough confidence to play her. I love that attitude!

2. She did a nice job as a role player as a freshman. She was a little foul prone and had not yet improved her FT shooting or jump shot (all of the misses were straight but long--she was too strong), but she added energy, rebounding, defense, and quick buckets. She didn't get very much PT in the tight national championship game. When she was in, she made a misplay, I believe a missed layup. Geno subbed her out, but gave her encouraging words even though the game situation was still tense. He was coaching her for the future.

3. Gabby started this season by taking over both pre-season games. Some of us wondered if it was simply a huge mismatch in athleticism. Could she do it against elite teams? Well, her numbers and performances dipped in the first 2 or 3 regular season games. But the reason was that she got into early foul trouble. Now that she has corrected that, she has become a monster of a player. She took on Ogunbowale and Turner last night, which was a big-time challenge. And she succeeded.

Gabby's all-around game is really good and still improving.
I like the accuracy of your last remark. Her game is getting really good and she's only going to be better. That's totally true and I'm as impressed with her as I could be. I'm glad you and others haven't gone off the deep end like some people here claiming that all of a sudden she's the become the face of women's college basketball. Keeping things in the proper context is cool and YES, she does deserve a lot of credit for how she's built up her skills on top of her world class athleticism. Her mindset is wonderful and who knows what her absolute ceiling is. I'm anxious to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom