Gabby Williams Is espnW's Player Of The Week | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams Is espnW's Player Of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-12_13-53-21.png

Yes, Connecticut versus Notre Dame earned top billing this past week, and when one player puts on a performance like UConn's Gabby Williams did in a game of that magnitude on Wednesday in South Bend, she deserves top honors. Williams is the espnW national player of the week.

[MORE]

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Congrats to Wiliams, glad she got recognition, sometimes you just have to watch the games, she and KLS are having themselves really great seasons. With those 2 on the floor it makes it easier for your other players.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart had to wait until the 24th game of her senior year to earn this award. She had bagged 3 national championships and 2 AP player of the year awards before that.
After those twitter from Jay Bilas ("Gabby Williams is tough as nails. Damn.") and Kara Lawson (Uconn = tough. Everyone go eat their vegetables), I had a premonition Gabby will win it.
This makes me worried though about next year. Will players get enough playing time to be considered for this?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm surprised, I thought ESPN would award it to either Kristine Agniewe (50 Points) or Kelsey Plum who became the PAC 12 All Time leading scorer as well as scored 440 points in the game.

Reaction Score
Naphassza and Katie Lou should have at least one.
If not we should award them...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In her first two years, Gabby was good. She is not letting good be the enemy of great. Rather, she's letting good be the pathway thereto, and if that continues, watch out. We've lost a ton to the WNBA, but we're bulking up and reloading...much to the chagrin of everyone else...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm surprised, I thought ESPN would award it to either Kristine Agniewe (50 Points) or Kelsey Plum who became the PAC 12 All Time leading scorer as well as scored 440 points in the game.

Apparently the espn voters know that being a Badass in a big game vs. #1/2 is more important than having a big stat line vs. somebody. (We already knew that.);)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I'm sure it was a much-debated choice, and Plum's recordbreaking night (and her 44 points against a pretty decent Boise State team) would have been enough in most weeks. But Gabby's performance against Notre Dame was just that superlative, one of those gotta-see-it-to-believe-it moments. A few of those rebounds she got over and around Turner were jaw-dropping. But my favorite moment was where Mychal Johnson made what she thought was an easy and routine pass across the top of the key, and then turns to run her cut pattern down the lane, and is TOTALLY oblivious to the fact that Gabby, like shot out of a cannon, turned her routine pass into a pick-six:

Back-to-back layups has UConn running - ESPN Video

Reaction Score
I don't understand; I thought it was decided that ESPN was biased against UConn?

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
The kind of award you get when you are ALL OVER THE FLOOR!
Go Gabby!! Congrats!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This makes me worried though about next year. Will players get enough playing time to be considered for this?
And the answer to that is - none of them will care! Only fans get worked up about these weekly honor things - the important honors for the Uconn women come in the W/L column - they like Ws, and can't stand Ls.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Watching Geno's prolonged embrace of Gabby following the Notre Dame game drove me nuts because I knew that I was never, ever going to know what Geno was saying to her. So what does Coach say other than hey kid, you played a really great game and it was a big win for us?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I just like this kid all to heck! What a rep of what a Husky should be!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Watching Geno's prolonged embrace of Gabby following the Notre Dame game drove me nuts because I knew that I was never, ever going to know what Geno was saying to her. So what does Coach say other than hey kid, you played a really great game and it was a big win for us?
I have the inside scoop - he said:
'OK, so that was pretty good. I think we have now established the baseline. Anything less than this will be unacceptable, and by the end of the year this should look like your off nights! Right?! Hit the showers!'
Like Kara said - he has become such a softy! :eek::cool::)

Reaction Score
Geno was miked up for the ND game, wasn't he? Maybe he figured out the mute button.

My guess: "I'll kill you if you ever tell anyone I said this, but that was just....GABULOUS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom