Gabby Williams ESPNW Rookie Diary | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams ESPNW Rookie Diary

Reaction Score
She had a lackluster first preseason game against the Fever. 0-4 from the field, 2 rebounds, one assist, 2 TO and 2 PF in the Sky loss to the Fever.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She had a lackluster first preseason game against the Fever. 0-4 from the field, 2 rebounds, one assist, 2 TO and 2 PF in the Sky loss to the Fever.

I throw out the rookie year for everyone. So I'm certainly going to throw out the first preseason game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Vegan life is over. It went from vegan to vegetarian to pescetarian to now I don't eat red meat. That's a lie; I had a burger the other day. I'm trying not to eat out, so I'm cooking every night."

I'd give a nickel to watch her eat the burger!

Reaction Score
My favorite line was the coach telling her that she couldn't guard Angel McCoughtry or Maya Moore like that. Think the plan is for Gabby to be their defensive stopper as a rookie?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My favorite was her comments on the Avenger's Movie.

It was stressful. There was no one for me to grab on to or shake. I got into my car and sent a voice memo screaming to all my friends, and I was like, "GUYS! I loved it." I was going to go again the next day, but after I went through that distress I couldn't put myself through it again.

Watching Spiderman's death hurt. Watching Vision die twice was just rude. The whole time you are trying to predict it, then when it all happens you're shook. Anyone who knows me knew I swore it was the end for Captain America. So when he survived I was happy, but I think that means he's going to be gone for real in the next movie. I'm in full nerd mode right now.

Come on Gabby, shake it off. You need to be a "killer" . A little bit of Thanos may be a good idea in camp. :mad:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I throw out the rookie year for everyone. So I'm certainly going to throw out the first preseason game.

Agreed. I'll certainly look for more out of Gabby next year. This year will be about learning how to play at this new level, getting her "sea-legs", and coming to the realization that she can play at this level. For some, it does not take an entire season to come to this revelation. Hopefully Gabby is one of those "some". I'm just as interested in watching Gabby, Kia and Azura matriculate into the W, as I am about the UConn women's fortunes this coming season.

I'm not counting on any last minute, out of the blue graduate transfer(s) to come riding through the doors on a white house to help the team through this period of uncertainty and adjustment. As Geno told the team, “You look at your team and you go, ‘Guys, this is all we can count on, right here, what we have in this room. If the guys coming in turn out to be amazing, that just adds to this. If they turn out to be less than amazing, then this is what we have."

This season might be like a cook trying to make rabbit stew without the rabbit. We know Geno and staff will put a competitive team on the floor come November. We're too far out at this time (in early May) to have any idea what that team will look like, or to find out (through media interviews with Geno, and reports from writers attending official October practices) who has made the sophomore or junior leap. One thing is for sure, at least 4 players MUST step up and "get it" in order for this team to play the style of competitive UConn basketball fans are use to seeing. Now, the question is who are those four players?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby is smart, she's interesting, she's thoughtful and she's funny. She's good at basketball too. I will miss her as a UConn player but I'll follow her and cheer for her wherever she plays.

Me too. It's one of the reasons I subscribe to the WNBA's games.

Reaction Score
Gabby is just one of the long line of UCONN players/grads that just "get it" and "it" is life! They all seem to have a level head on their shoulders and face the challenges of post-graduation with a great outlook to spite their youth! UCONN grads will be successful in whatever they venture in!
You rarely hear of a UCONN grad going off the deep end and throwing chances away! Players maximize their opportunities like Kelly Faris did she was handicapped offensively but took the other aspects of her game and is still playing pro ball if not in the WNBA in overseas BB!

Reaction Score
Vegan life is over. It went from vegan to vegetarian to pescetarian to now I don't eat red meat. That's a lie; I had a burger the other day. I'm trying not to eat out, so I'm cooking every night."

I'd give a nickel to watch her eat the burger!
Actually technically she has an out. Unless it's very rare. red meant once it's cooked actually is sort of a brown.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Gabby is just one of the long line of UCONN players/grads that just "get it" and "it" is life! They all seem to have a level head on their shoulders and face the challenges of post-graduation with a great outlook to spite their youth! UCONN grads will be successful in whatever they venture in!
You rarely hear of a UCONN grad going off the deep end and throwing chances away! Players maximize their opportunities like Kelly Faris did she was handicapped offensively but took the other aspects of her game and is still playing pro ball if not in the WNBA in overseas BB!

In fact, I cannot think of any UConn program's graduate who has impressed me as much as Gabby, right from the start—with the depth of her maturity, her honest self-examination, the breadth of her understanding of what is genuinely important in life. Her perspectives are remarkably generous and informed. Kudos to her parents, or whoever in her life gave her such balanced wisdom.

And since she has landed in Chicago, I offer her a free meal at my son's restaurant there, just for being such a terrific young woman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom