Gabby Speaks About Going Home | The Boneyard

Gabby Speaks About Going Home

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I want to show the people that saw me play in high school that I'm now a totally different player," Williams said. "I want to show them how much I've improved, and how I am a different player in the new position that I'm in. And I'm excited for that. But then I have a lot of friends who don't even understand basketball that much, and they're just excited to see me play in person and see and meet my teammates. That's exciting for me, too.

"I'm not sure if anything will surprise them about me because I really haven't been home in such a long time to see everybody. There are friends that I haven't seen since I lived there in high school. I have no idea what they'll expect, but they'll see someone who is more mature and they'll see how I've jelled with my teammates."

UConn's Gabby Williams excited for her homecoming day

And she takes us back to over 4 years ago.

"I had been talking to the coaches and had narrowed things down by that point," Williams said. "Part of me kind of rushed the decision because of my ACL tear so that is why things were narrowed down. I talked to the schools that I was interested in a lot. Coming to UConn was a no-brainer. I had visited other places as well. But there was just something about the culture at UConn and how close the team was.

There was a sense of pride that the coaches and players and alumni had in the tradition here. It drives you and I wanted to be a part of it."

"Being an All-American and winning national championships, you don't come in here and have those things handed to you. On my recruiting visit, it's not like Coach said, 'Hey, if you come here, you're going to be an All-American.' That wasn't the case. You go through it, and you buy into what they do, and you realize how hard it is to get all the stuff I have and we have. I think that was what the tweet meant. I didn't know I'd make it this far, just that I was getting a great opportunity.

Reaction Score
she's gotta be one of everyone's all-time favorites. plays with incredible heart: sometimes just a bit too much; hence the fouls: but if you are going to err, that's the direction you want to go. What a baller....
I'll always remember when Geno gave her a quick yank in the NC game her freshman year. Her wheels were just spinning too quickly. She came back to the bench so frustrated, and Geno gave her a big smile and an even bigger hug. Hard not to really, really like her.

Reaction Score
she's gotta be one of everyone's all-time favorites. plays with incredible heart: sometimes just a bit too much; hence the fouls: but if you are going to err, that's the direction you want to go. What a baller....
I'll always remember when Geno gave her a quick yank in the NC game her freshman year. Her wheels were just spinning too quickly. She came back to the bench so frustrated, and Geno gave her a big smile and an even bigger hug. Hard not to really, really like her.

She want's them to see how much she has improved as a player.
I want her family and friends and neighbors to see how much she has grown as person, confident, knowing who she is and where she is going--she has matured. (I which I could say that about me). Got to love this young lady. Those that run through the Christine Dailey's Charm school all have class--and Gabby has it big time..

Reaction Score
I remember when Gabby's class came in in 2012. Then, as this year, there were four recruits: Sadie Edwards (transferred), Courtney Ekmark (eventually transferred), Gabby and Kia. UConn already had 4 guards, so I wondered then (as I do now) which players would emerge and become essential to the team. Geno lacked much size inside in that year and decided to make Gabby a forward because of her leaping ability and overall athleticism. It was a stroke of genius. Williams accepted the challenge and became an irreplaceable component of endless wins and championship seasons. Everyone who watched and listened to her over her evolution came to admire and to feel genuine affection for our one and only Nevadan. As with so many Huskies who we've been blessed to know, Gabby became a huge favorite. I'm confident that she and her teammates will have great success this year, winning their 3rd championship in Gabby's 4 seasons. Thanks Nevada, couldn't have done it w/out you.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We have been so blessed to have such a wonderful young lady as a Husky. Regardless of her basketball skills, Gabby will always be an outstanding person who have much success in the future.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
For me, my favorite in the history of BB.
Now, I gotta go catch my flight(s) to Reno so can take in this game. :)

Reaction Score

She is certainly one of mine! There is just something about a kid like Williams, that plays with such heart, reckless abandon, a refusal to lose, etc. All you can do is have the highest respect for a kid like Williams, that is so selfless, and would run through a brick wall for the team.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Made it to Chicago! Flight to Denver and then on to Reno!

At little update on the game tonight:

The game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports with Ben Holden (play-by-play) and Julianne Viani (analyst) on the call. The radio broadcast is available in Northern Nevada on 94.1 FM or around the globe at NevadaWolfPack.com/audio. The radio pre-game show begins at 5:45 p.m.

Reaction Score

The game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports with Ben Holden (play-by-play) and Julianne Viani (analyst) on the call. The radio broadcast is available in Northern Nevada on 94.1 FM or around the globe at NevadaWolfPack.com/audio. The radio pre-game show begins at 5:45 p.m.
That's a lot of flights to get to Reno.

Reaction Score

Keep rubbing it in, lol. Next you will be telling us about the $1,000,000 you won on your first pull on the slots, lol! Have a great time Huskie78!

Reaction Score
Sacrilege!!
It darn near is; I have never seen any former Uconn player play as hard D and O for (at times) 40 min or jump as high or defend bigs as well.
Maybe some equaled her intensity, doubtful, none exceeded her hard play. Maya came in with high level talent--Gabby isn't that talent--she gets hers the old American she works for it.
I loved/love everything Moriah, she played hard every second---but harder than Gabby?? When did you ever see either take a play off??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've reread Adamec's article and I've decided, so it must be so. Gabby has an old soul.

Reaction Score
She also cooks for the team and laughed when KLS put the pasta prematurely in the pot while the water was still cold...

Reaction Score
She also cooks for the team and laughed when KLS put the pasta prematurely in the pot while the water was still cold...
Just like Stef used to. Gabby's best dish is macaroni and cheese. Even has a special pot with her name on it that she uses to cook it.

Reaction Score
She's a hell of a kid. Two whole states are proud of you Gabby!
Oh, I seriously doubt the greatness of Gabby is limited to 2 states--to know the total Gabby UConn story should make all proud of her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom