Gabby quote relative to freshman attitude | The Boneyard

Gabby quote relative to freshman attitude

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
upload_2018-3-8_13-47-25.png

Reaction Score
Well, in fairness to Gabby, I think the coaches realized - probably long before she did - that her tremendous athleticism could be used as a weapon, and they helped bring that out in her.

Reaction Score
Great quote from Gabby!
As is her usual manner, she didn't criticize the freshman but did so by taking responsibility for falling into the same trap during her freshman year.
It is her way of trying to wake them up. I'm not sure who the freshman look up and listen to, but somehow I doubt it's the two seniors. I would think Kyla or Molly might have more of an impact as they were just there.
Part of this time and place, is we are raising a generation who most don't easily take this in and be able to use it.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
she didn't criticize the freshman

Uhhh.

She alluded to kids feeling insignificant enough they are "not even going to try." And that she's seen that.
I absolutely do *not* believe she intended it as criticism.

But if some frosh are tuning out and not trying ... that's a bit concerning, no?

Reaction Score
Uhhh.

She alluded to kids feeling insignificant enough they are "not even going to try." And that she's seen that.
I absolutely do *not* believe she intended it as criticism.

But if some frosh are tuning out and not trying ... that's a bit concerning, no?
I truly don't get your response. Is there anything positive and supportive when you are the type of competitor Gabby is, to say they aren't trying.
Then your last paragraph is it "would be a bit concerning" if they aren't trying.
Good leaders of teams take hold and speak up when something needs to be said. She did this in the least confrontational manner.
The answer to me is grow up, work your butts off and either become significant, or at least become a good teammate.
This may well explain why the freshman haven't played significant minutes even sometimes in blowouts. Surely it's not tolerable or acceptable to Geno.
Bronx23

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why everyone is assuming that Gabby is talking about this year's freshmen class or even players on the roster. She is a senior and have seen 4 classes of freshmen come through the program 4 of whom have transferred out.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not sure why everyone is assuming that Gabby is talking about this year's freshmen class or even players on the roster. She is a senior and have seen 4 classes of freshmen come through the program 4 of whom have transferred out.

Does it help to know this quote came from "Williams putting finishing touches on stellar UConn career" by Sean Hurd Jan 30, 2018? I suspect she is speaking of most all of the freshmen she has seen including Lou and Phee. Although she said "I see a lot of freshmen ..." Note her voice is in the present tense.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
In fairness to Gabby, didn't she miss two years of basketball due to injuries? If true, no way she comes in and plays up to her potential at the start, no matter how she tries. Same was true for Cortney Ecmark, who didn't play her senior year.

Reaction Score
While your comment is possible it's not about this years freshman class, then why the comment now? Yes, there's no proof but it's the likely interpretation. Also not sure how or why this says anything negative about Gabby and that she needs defending.
Bronx23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In fairness to Gabby, didn't she miss two years of basketball due to injuries? If true, no way she comes in and plays up to her potential at the start, no matter how she tries. Same was true for Cortney Ecmark, who didn't play her senior year.
Courtney's situation was different. I believe that she completed the high school curriculum in 3 years, so she took miscellaneous classes and worked out on her own, including possibly playing against boys, to improve her basketball skills. She could have returned to her high school to play, but chose not to. They were the top team in the nation the year Courtney left, and the team had major losses to graduation. My sources told me that Geno was not pleased with Courtney's plan.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While your comment is possible it's not about this years freshman class, then why the comment now? Yes, there's no proof but it's the likely interpretation. Also not sure how or why this says anything negative about Gabby and that she needs defending.
Bronx23
The comment is coming from Gabby now because she is a senior having played senior night and likely playing her last few games in a UCONN uniform. The comments do not in anyway need defending because she is being equally critical (reflecting really ) of herself and some of her teammates, when they were Freshemen. That was quite a while ago and Gabby shook that feeling and likely so did the Freshmen she is talking about, this is UCONN you are not going to last very long by "not trying".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom