Gabby AAC Defensive Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Gabby AAC Defensive Player of the Year

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
AAC Award Winners: 2017 American Women’s Basketball Regular Season Awards Announced

All-Conference First Team
Aliyah Gregory, Jr., G, UCF
Napheesa Collier, So., F, UConn *
Katie Lou Samuelson, So., G/F, UConn *
Gabby Williams, Jr., F, UConn
Maria Jespersen, Jr., F, USF
Kitija Laksa, So., G/F, USF *
Feyonda Fitzgerald, Sr., G, Temple

All-Conference Second Team
Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn
Alicia Froling, Jr., F, SMU
Alliya Butts, Jr., G, Temple
Donnaizha Fountain, Jr., G, Temple
Kolby Morgan, Jr., G, Tulane

All-Conference Third Team
Zykira Lewis, Sr., G, UCF
Shanice Johnson, Jr., F, Cincinnati
Saniya Chong, Sr., G, UConn
Cheyenne Creighton, Jr., F, Memphis
Brea Elmore, Jr., G, Memphis
Leslie Vorpahl, Sr., G, Tulane

All-Freshman Team
Crystal Dangerfield, Fr., G, UConn
Angela Harris, Fr., G, Houston
Jasmyne Harris, Fr., G, Houston
Tamara Henshaw, Fr., F, USF *
Shug Dickson, Fr., G, Tulsa
Kendrian Elliott, Fr., F, Tulsa

[*] denotes unanimous selection

Announcement was tweeted just minutes after I created this thread.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting that KLS, Collier, and Laksa — the only sophomores on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams — were the only unanimous selections to 1st team.
Also interesting that Henshaw was the only unanimous selection to the All-Freshman team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
C58ID2EWgAAKY4M.jpg

Napheesa Collier

PPG From 6.8 to 20.4 Plus 13.6
Rebounds 5.18 to 8.97 Plus 3. 79
Assists: .9 to 2.01 Plus 1.2
FG Made 106 to 245 Plus 139

My Eyes on the Stats says Award should have gone to Napheesa.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
C58ID2EWgAAKY4M.jpg

Napheesa Collier

PPG From 6.8 to 20.4 Plus 13.6
Rebounds 5.18 to 8.97 Plus 3. 79
Assists: .9 to 2.01 Plus 1.2
FG Made 106 to 245 Plus 139

My Eyes on the Stats says Award should have gone to Napheesa.
Sounds reasonable to me. I think that Pheesa will get the big award.

Reaction Score
Gabby need to win conference DPOY to qualify for National DPOY, right? I couldn't imagine anyone else wining the award, but nice to have that box checked.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn players lose every year to the embarrassing magic of the numbers. Kia Nurse 2d team BS. I understand it, but t'ain't fair to Kia. OBTW, there is not one player in the AAC who could start for UConn. Which of them would you pick over one of our starters?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Ladies!!
Gabby has earned Defensive Player of the Year, she is truly amazing. Gabby do not stop hustling, she is constantly moving. I do not agree with Jesperson over Napheesa. Napheesa is a very special player. No one can guard her, she can shoot the ball from different spots on the court. Napheesa had two 30+ games back to back, and 12 double-double games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby need to win conference DPOY to qualify for National DPOY, right? I couldn't imagine anyone else wining the award, but nice to have that box checked.
Correct. Fingers crossed for Gabby to win NDPOY

Reaction Score
Congrats to Gabulous!

We have to wait until tomorrow to Pheesa get POY, Kia get Scholar Athlete of the Year, and Tonya get Coach of the Year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When looking at the P-5 DPOY winners I would be amazed if Gabby doesn't walk away with NDPOY. Here are the P-5 DPOY winners:

ACC - Brianna Turner - ND
Big 12 - Brianna Taylor - TX
SEC - Raigyne Moncrief - LSU
BIG - Ashley Deary - NW
PAC12 - Gabriela Hanson - OSU

Gabby outplayed both Turner & Taylor head to head. Moncrief had a decent game against the Huskies, but I view her, along with Deary & Hanson as being somewhat under the radar.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How in the name of all that is holy could Gabby NOT BE UNANIMOUS.? Seriously, which knucklehead coach left her off their 1st team ballot? I can't think of one AAC GAME that she wasn't better than everyone on the opposing team AND PROVED IT that game.

Anyone have a clue?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Which of them would you pick over one of our starters?
Umm, I don't want to disagree with you on this however, Fitzgerald has better assists, more points and good defense so slots in over Chong.

I get your thoughts on Kia as we see all the intangibles, however once again these awards are drive by 1. Offensive strengths or 2. Stat sheet fillers who do a lot of everything but score (assists, steals, rebounds). Given Kia missed the last 4 league games, her second team selection feels about right to me as a consolation.

I am very happy for Soniya to get recognition on the 3rd team which considering we weren't sure how she would do back in October either due to the i-band issue or rustiness/defensive concerns. Again, as these awards are usually offensive driven, I commend the coaches on seeing past that on this one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Umm, I don't want to disagree with you on this however, Fitzgerald has better assists, more points and good defense so slots in over Chong.

I get your thoughts on Kia as we see all the intangibles, however once again these awards are drive by 1. Offensive strengths or 2. Stat sheet fillers who do a lot of everything but score (assists, steals, rebounds). Given Kia missed the last 4 league games, her second team selection feels about right to me as a consolation.

I am very happy for Soniya to get recognition on the 3rd team which considering we weren't sure how she would do back in October either due to the i-band issue or rustiness/defensive concerns. Again, as these awards are usually offensive driven, I commend the coaches on seeing past that on this one.

Is that in conference only? Nope, silly question and quibble. I don't care. Saniya is the sure handed point of an undefeated team who played and beat 9 of the top 15 teams. Conference politics. Nice analysis but no.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How in the name of all that is holy could Gabby NOT BE UNANIMOUS.? Seriously, which knucklehead coach left her off their 1st team ballot? I can't think of one AAC GAME that she wasn't better than everyone on the opposing team AND PROVED IT that game.

Anyone have a clue?
Just guessing that Gabby had foul trouble and a so-so game against one of the conference opponents. What game was it when Geno rested her for most of the first half?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom