OT: GA-OK: greatest college football game ever? | The Boneyard

OT: GA-OK: greatest college football game ever?

Reaction Score
well, what is "great": best played? or highest stakes? or most exciting?

certainly, tonight was among the most exciting ever for among the highest stakes.

Ironically, OK lost in all 3 of my "most exciting": tonight, against Boise State in 2007; and against Nebraska in 1971. Maybe I just like games where OK loses--that could be, actually....

Reaction Score

certainly, tonight was among the most exciting ever for among the highest stakes.

Ironically, OK lost in all 3 of my "most exciting": tonight, against Boise State in 2007; and against Nebraska in 1971. Maybe I just like games where OK loses--that could be, actually....
It was a thriller down here in Atlanta with my kids.

Reaction Score

Love it whenever they lose.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Btw Pruitt the DC for Alabama. Is the Tennessee head coach.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One of the most entertaining for sure. Most Super Bowls with Tom Brady should be in consideration if we're including Pro games. 2 other games that come to mind are Auburn/Alabama in 2013 and USC/Texas in 2006.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

I remember that Okla-Neb game as one where neither defense could ever stop the other. As one player said, "It was like tennis, where the server always held". OK just ran out of time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exciting game for sure, but if I were a Sooner fan, I would be complaining about the play calling in the 1st OT. After OK holds GA to a fg, they need a TD to win the game and they come up with a couple strange play calls and a short pass that only nets them a tying fg.

When you’ve got the Heisman trophy winner at QB, with a chance to win the game against a very good team and head to the national championship game, I’m running a play action pass on 1st down to hold the LB’s and then throwing a post pattern to one of my WR’s at the goal line. It was time to win the game, and OK forgot what got them to the game in the 1st place.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't know about best ever, but that thought went through my head as I watched it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just pissed that the final is all SEC. I have gotten used to Sabin and my annoyance has turned to respect but Smart rubs me the wrong way. :(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not a legit title game without UCF in it.

I looked at the Sagarin ratings. Before Auburn, UCF had played zero games against the Sagarin top 30. I don't recall many people upset that they were not in the playoff when the teams were picked. Lots of folks with 20/20 hindsight after their win over Auburn.

That being said, I have always been in favor of a larger playoff. Cut a game off the bloated regular season and go to an 8-team playoff.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

It's in the conversation. I'll always be partial to the 2006 Rose Bowl - Texas over USC. Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart & Reggie Bush. It never quite worked for Young as a pro but on that night he was unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Just pissed that the final is all SEC. I have gotten used to Sabin and my annoyance has turned to respect but Smart rubs me the wrong way. :(
For the simple reason that, by any reasonable yardstick, it is far and away the top conference in college football, I am delighted that it'll be an all-SEC final. As far as Nick Saban is concerned, he rubs folks the "wrong way" for the same reason Geno does...just keeps winning. I'm only sorry he left LSU for that ill-considered NFL gig. Now I'm waiting for that oft-repeated and envy-fueled refrain to begin: "We have true student/athletes at our school...just a buncha thugs playing down there!"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For the simple reason that, by any reasonable yardstick, it is far and away the top conference in college football, I am delighted that it'll be an all-SEC final. As far as Nick Saban is concerned, he rubs folks the "wrong way" for the same reason Geno does...just keeps winning. I'm only sorry he left LSU for that ill-considered NFL gig. Now I'm waiting for that oft-repeated and envy-fueled refrain to begin: "We have true student/athletes at our school...just a buncha thugs playing down there!"

As I said, my antipathy of Sabin has turned to respect precisely because his record and approach is so Geno like. That's as far as I care to go.

Reaction Score
As I said, my antipathy of Sabin has turned to respect precisely because his record and approach is so Geno like. That's as far as I care to go.
A lot of folks wouldn't be convinced by the comparison to Geno, since Sabin (whom I, too, do like a lot) notoriously over-recruits and is even said to force athletes off their scholarships (IIRC, which I might not).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of folks wouldn't be convinced by the comparison to Geno, since Sabin (whom I, too, do like a lot) notoriously over-recruits and is even said to force athletes off their scholarships (IIRC, which I might not).
Not sure exactly what you mean by “over-recruits” as FBS schools are allotted 85 scholarships, and all of them have just about 80+ players on scholarship. Certainly Sabin gets more than his share of top recruits.

As far as forcing players off scholarship is concerned, Sabin has the luxury at Alabama to be a “My way or the high way” coach, so if a player doesn’t put forth the effort or gets into trouble, they’re shown the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom