OT: Fyre Festival Documentaries | The Boneyard

OT: Fyre Festival Documentaries

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Two competing documentaries available on Hulu and Netflix about last year's failed Fyre Music Festival. Creator of the music festival is now in federal prison for fraud. Both docs are worth the watch, but I preferred Hulu's. Anyone watched them?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up.
Without easy access to CBSSN, I've been stressing about missing the Tulane game, before going to Toad's Place to see Eggy Plays Little Feat and @augustwest, and you may have provided a watch party alternative.

Reaction Score
I finished Netflix and in the middle of Hulu. The Netflix version was really good and as of now I am not impressed with the hulu version.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I finished Netflix and in the middle of Hulu. The Netflix version was really good and as of now I am not impressed with the hulu version.

Really? I felt the opposite. Netflix doc is produced by the folks who did the promotional stuff for Fyre, and they absolve themselves of any guilt in the Netflix doc. I also thought the Hulu doc did more to look into what sort of societal maladies make such a thing possible. Netflix doc had some interesting storylines but didn’t do as much for me

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up.
Without easy access to CBSSN, I've been stressing about missing the Tulane game, before going to Toad's Place to see Eggy Plays Little Feat and @augustwest, and you may have provided a watch party alternative.

Would definitely recommend. It’s a story that is equal parts comical, psychological profile, and societal commentary.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched either but I will. I saw that Blink182 was going to be one of the headliners but bailed and Ja Rule was a promoter (?). 2001 says hello. Who else was supposedly going?

Reaction Score
Really? I felt the opposite. Netflix doc is produced by the folks who did the promotional stuff for Fyre, and they absolve themselves of any guilt in the Netflix doc. I also thought the Hulu doc did more to look into what sort of societal maladies make such a thing possible. Netflix doc had some interesting storylines but didn’t do as much for me

Hulu doc definitely finished very strong. Which one did you watch first?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I wish the Hulu doc and the Netflix doc were done together. Hulu having Billy was great but Netflix production and story telling was exponentially better...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I haven’t watched either but I will. I saw that Blink182 was going to be one of the headliners but bailed and Ja Rule was a promoter (?). 2001 says hello. Who else was supposedly going?

The other acts didn't really ring a bell for me, but I think are famous. Someone called Major Lazer or something and a few others. It was built largely around the models and 'Instagram influencers' who promoted it--folks like Kendall Jenner, Emily Ratajkowski, and Bella Hadid. I didn't know who two of these three were until recently, but basically they got hired at exorbitant rates to do shoots on the island and random stuff so that they promotions would basically promise an experience of a private island and famous supermodels. That obviously is not how it ended up happening lol

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Migos is very famous, G.O.O.D Music is Kanye West’s label they are also very famous. We’re all suppose to perform.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed both. I think they complement each other nicely since one you get a face to face interview with the creator of the festival and a greater emphasis on his background and 12+ months out from the festival, the other was more based on those closely involved and knew the guy personally that can provide a different perspective and more heavily dived into the last few months leading up to the festival.

Some overlap between the two but each provided a lot of info the other did not, which completed the story.

Reaction Score
I watched the Netflix one last night. I thought one of the production guys said it best when he stated that the advertising for it was the real party. These guys got those models to the Bahamas and just partied it up before proceeding to try and scam the people who actually wanted to go to the thing.

Reaction Score
Watched the Hulu one last night. Was actually fairly disappointed.

Firstly, I was mostly interested in first-hand accounts of the attempt and of the tourists (none of the invited influencers wanted to participate in the doc), and of the artists who were supposed to be there. Very little turned out to be about the festival itself and turmoil that occurred; and after day one of what was supposed to be the festival, the doc moves on.

Secondly, they wasted the whole first third of it telling stories about the exploits of a 7 year old sociopath who turned out to be a giant idiot.

And third, why are we talking about ja rule at all? He really was just the drunk and washed-up face of it. His “involvement” was but one ancillary bizarre part of the whole thing.

Gonna watch the Netflix one soon

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Watched the Hulu one last night. Was actually fairly disappointed.

Firstly, I was mostly interested in first-hand accounts of the attempt and of the tourists (none of the invited influencers wanted to participate in the doc), and of the artists who were supposed to be there. Very little turned out to be about the festival itself and turmoil that occurred; and after day one of what was supposed to be the festival, the doc moves on.

Secondly, they wasted the whole first third of it telling stories about the exploits of a 7 year old sociopath who turned out to be a giant idiot.

And third, why are we talking about ja rule at all? He really was just the drunk and washed-up face of it. His “involvement” was but one ancillary bizarre part of the whole thing.

Gonna watch the Netflix one soon

Ja rule may have come out looking almost as bad as McFarland. Especially in the Netflix doc when he tries to explain to Fyre employees why he thinks they did not commit fraud. He is a total moron lol. Anyone with half a brain should have known it wasn’t going to work when they were supposed to be down there doing business and he and billy were just getting wasted

Reaction Score
Ja rule may have come out looking almost as bad as McFarland. Especially in the Netflix doc when he tries to explain to Fyre employees why he thinks they did not commit fraud. He is a total moron lol. Anyone with half a brain should have known it wasn’t going to work when they were supposed to be down there doing business and he and billy were just getting wasted
Which is why that whole part of the story isn’t particularly interesting. It was The Millenial Stooges Try to Put on a Music Festival in 6 Months.

Hulu describd their doc as a “true-crime comedy”

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Which is why that whole part of the story isn’t particularly interesting. It was The Millenial Stooges Try to Put on a Music Festival in 6 Months.

Hulu describd their doc as a “true-crime comedy”

How is that not fascinating? They made everyone believe in it to the tune of millions in investments and plane loads of people coming to the island. They pulled off an intricate scheme based entirely on brilliant marketing with no substance. I think that’s compelling

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up.
Eggy and Jeff are postponed.

Reaction Score
Watched the Netflix one and really enjoyed it. I am a big documentary fan and felt they told the story really well. From the way they used that shoot to promote it, to how it started crumbling, to the absolute disaster it turned out to be.

Reaction Score
I only watched the Netflix one but I liked it. I expected it to be a little funnier because of the subject matter, but overall the story was well told

Reaction Score
Watched both. Thought the Netflix one was better - but appreciated that the Hulu one interviewed Billy. Although they paid for the privilege - was good to see him squirm. What a .

Reaction Score
Watched the Netflix one. Pretty good doc. I feel like I’ve known a dozen kids like him in my life. Always fun seeing rich kids having their dreams spoiled instead of being spoiled. My wife had had a couple glasses of wine during our watch and by the end she couldn’t help but keep saying Frye Fest each time she talked about it lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom