FYI -Johns Hopkins to pursue conference affiliation for men's lacrosse | The Boneyard

FYI -Johns Hopkins to pursue conference affiliation for men's lacrosse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not too sure what impact, if any, this has on realignment with respect to UCONN. However, I post it since the B1G and ACC would both have interest in Johns Hopkins and this could get a realignment conversation going among the Presidents of the schools in these respective conferences. I would be interested to know your perspective on this news.

http://web.jhu.edu/administration/president/lacrosse_committee/

Reaction Score
I am not too sure what impact, if any, this has on realignment with respect to UCONN. However, I post it since the B1G and ACC would both have interest in Johns Hopkins and this could get a realignment conversation going among the Presidents of the schools in these respective conferences. I would be interested to know your perspective on this news.

http://web.jhu.edu/administration/president/lacrosse_committee/

JH Lax to B1G has been rumored for months and kicked around on here before (http://the-boneyard.com/threads/and...uconn-lacrosse-out-of-blue.32683/#post-484959)

This is a men's lax move only - no other olympic sports from everything I read. No impact what-so-ever to UConn.

Reaction Score
[quote=". No impact what-so-ever to UConn.[/quote]

Slight impact for UConn fans because Anything that mildly pisses off or upsets the scumbag ACC schools makes ME (and other Husky fans) happy.

I think ACC and B1G LAX teams are trying to get 6+ members to form a league. So any team choosing B1G instead of ACC makes me happy.

Reaction Score
>> Although a Big Ten Conference for men’s lacrosse has yet to be formed, the Terps and Rutgers would join Michigan (a member of the ECAC), Ohio State (ECAC) and Penn State (Colonial Athletic Association) as schools that compete in men’s lacrosse.

A league requires six teams to get an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament, and the addition of Johns Hopkins would satisfy that requirement.

Another possible destination is the Atlantic Coast Conference, which will consist of Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Virginia. The ECAC, which could be left with Air Force, Bellarmine, Denver, Fairfield and Hobart if Michigan and Ohio State depart, could also seek to add the Blue Jays.

And the Big East, which is losing Notre Dame, Rutgers and Syracuse, could make a play for Johns Hopkins.

By joining a conference with at least six teams, the Blue Jays increase their chances of making the NCAA tournament due to the possibility of an automatic qualifier.<<

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...iation-20130517,0,6873764.story#ixzz2TfvN1OKu

Kinda funny that all this comes on the heels of JHU failing to make NCAA tourney for the first time in 41 years.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sources: Johns Hopkins Lacrosse to Announce Joining the Big Ten Monday
Multiple sources have told Inside Lacrosse that Johns Hopkins will on Monday announce its intentions to join the Big Ten as an affiliate member in men's and women's lacrosse. By extension, the announcement keys the formation of Big Ten men's and women's lacrosse as league-sponsored sports for the first time.
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013...kins-lacrosse-announce-joining-big-ten-monday

Reaction Score
JH originally wanted to keep the women's team separate according to their original published report on desired conference affiliation terms.

I'll be interesting to find out the terms of the deal and exactly how they are going to deal with the BTN revenue split.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Crazy time in Men's Lacrosse. 14 of the 63 teams are changing conferences, and 5 new teams are being added. 2 new conferences being formed (Big 10, Atl Sun), and one possibly dying (ECAC).

Does anyone know why Fairfield isn't in the MAAC for lacrosse? (given that the rest of their teams are).

Reaction Score
Crazy time in Men's Lacrosse. 14 of the 63 teams are changing conferences, and 5 new teams are being added. 2 new conferences being formed (Big 10, Atl Sun), and one possibly dying (ECAC).

Does anyone know why Fairfield isn't in the MAAC for lacrosse? (given that the rest of their teams are).

Basic backstory: the MAAC as a lacrosse league sucked. Fairfield and Loyola were two MAAC teams that didn't suck; Loyola always played as an independent, but Fairfield started life in the MAAC. When the opportunity was given in 2001, since the Great Western Lacrosse League needed a sixth member to get an automatic bid after the end of the "Western Regional" qualifier, Fairfield stepped up (in spite of the pretty awful distances involved in conference play, traveling to Denver, Air Force, Butler, Ohio State and Notre Dame).

The GWLL itself ended in 2009, after Fairfield had been long gone to the ECAC (that league picked up Fairfield, Hobart and Loyola in 2005 to shore up its own membership), and the ECAC absorbed the GWLL's remaining members at the time.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation! I figured it had to do with trying to get better competition, but surprised that MAAC would allow them to defect in one sport.

With ECAC on life support, any sense that Fairfield will go back to MAAC?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation! I figured it had to do with trying to get better competition, but surprised that MAAC would allow them to defect in one sport.

The MAAC has never been particularly protective of their membership "stepping out", and insisting that their members play "all or none"; Niagara, although a full member of the MAAC in other sports, was never a hockey playing member (although they do now play in the successor conference of Atlantic Hockey).

With ECAC on life support, any sense that Fairfield will go back to MAAC?

No way. Not competitive enough of a conference, and the MAAC does not need, even with two defections, to keep membership up high (nor are they particularly interested in having a team like Fairfield come in and murder the league).

I would look for them to hook up with the Colonial, who is losing Penn State to the B1G, on at least a part-time basis. Hobart is a possibility for that league as well, although I am unaware what restrictions the Colonial has on allowing D-II or D-III playups to participate in their leagues.

Reaction Score
With the Maac auto bid, Fairfield would get into the NCAAs every year.

Colonial would make some sense as that conference is already a hodge podge of associate members, and with only 6 teams they'd be vulnerable to losing their bid if anyone else jumps ship.

Air Force and bellarmine are screwed I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom