FWIW (Nothing) My thoughts on Vital | The Boneyard

FWIW (Nothing) My thoughts on Vital

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
These last few games are the first I've ever seen in which CV has lacked confidence. His trash talking, chip-on-the-shoulder, swagger filled personality used to irk me. A lot. This is no longer the case. Why? Because from jump ball to the final buzzer, he's been the one guy who has never at any point stopped caring and who has never just laid back and taken the pummeling in these past 3 seasons. My opinion used to be that he played for the name on the front of his jersey and not on the back, but I've been swayed; he cares about UConn basketball in a way that clearly shows through and is impossible to deny.

He's not been quite up to snuff lately, but I think the whole benching tactic is the worst possible approach to take. As I said, he cares about UConn, but he also wants to leave a legacy and establish a future career. He came in as probably the least heralded member of the "top 5", but has gone on to give us the most. From the beginning, there's always been that voice in his ear about being a bit guy, role player, and so forth. He's had to fight constantly to prove that to be wrong to himself, fans, the team, and anyone who might consider him at the next level.

This creates an urgency in his play which has led to bad decisions, but markedly fewer of them this season. Now that he's seeing fewer minutes and getting a quicker hook, he's beginning to panic. For the first time, I can see him doubting himself and playing with fear rather than ferocity. I'm not a coach and never will be; I'm sure there's a method to what Hurley is doing here, even if for the moment, it seems to not be working. I hope CV gets that swagger back soon and leaves the self-doubting behind.

Also, because I say it every time I post here or in the chat, Whaley needs more court time. Plus the call on his offense rebound was utter BS.

Reaction Score
I was think the same thing today. Vital isn’t the same guy recently. This team needs his toughness and heart. Not sure if he’s upset he’s not starting or what it is but I hope he can get it back. They need him this year and next!!

Reaction Score
I was think the same thing today. Vital isn’t the same guy recently. This team needs his toughness and heart. Not sure if he’s upset he’s not starting or what it is but I hope he can get it back. They need him this year and next!!
Well then he should rise to the occasion and earn it. Not mope around.

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
One reason is Tarin is a far superior ball handler. The debate should be does CV deserve the starter minutes over Sid. If the season is now about the future and CV is a known quantity then Sid should get more minutes so he realizes what he needs to work on for next year (the list is long). CV should be an integral part of the team next year but my guess is he's not a starter again.

Reaction Score
In Hurley I trust. Whatever his reasoning, Coach Hurley is trying to mold CV into a type of player he sees contributing going forward. If CV is not with this decision, that is on him. No one else.
Agree, I think Hurley sees someone else starting in tarins spot next year coming in and vital coming off the bench

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Vital may not be the future for UConn (one year left) like some of the other guys on the team, but I do think he could / should play a large part in the rebuild of this program. The heart for UConn he has displayed the last 2 years (cred Dan hurley for reigning him in this year on the court) is at the level of kemba / shabazz / boatright. Just an outright winner who wants to give his team and fans everything he can.

Not sure what’s been going on recently with him and the staff, but hope he comes back and is a key leadership piece of the team next year. If he spends another summer in the gym working on his handle, driving to the rim and refining his already great 3-pt shot, he could be a key cog to an NCAA bid next year.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
These last few games are the first I've ever seen in which CV has lacked confidence. His trash talking, chip-on-the-shoulder, swagger filled personality used to irk me. A lot. This is no longer the case. Why? Because from jump ball to the final buzzer, he's been the one guy who has never at any point stopped caring and who has never just laid back and taken the pummeling in these past 3 seasons. My opinion used to be that he played for the name on the front of his jersey and not on the back, but I've been swayed; he cares about UConn basketball in a way that clearly shows through and is impossible to deny.

He's not been quite up to snuff lately, but I think the whole benching tactic is the worst possible approach to take. As I said, he cares about UConn, but he also wants to leave a legacy and establish a future career. He came in as probably the least heralded member of the "top 5", but has gone on to give us the most. From the beginning, there's always been that voice in his ear about being a bit guy, role player, and so forth. He's had to fight constantly to prove that to be wrong to himself, fans, the team, and anyone who might consider him at the next level.

This creates an urgency in his play which has led to bad decisions, but markedly fewer of them this season. Now that he's seeing fewer minutes and getting a quicker hook, he's beginning to panic. For the first time, I can see him doubting himself and playing with fear rather than ferocity. I'm not a coach and never will be; I'm sure there's a method to what Hurley is doing here, even if for the moment, it seems to not be working. I hope CV gets that swagger back soon and leaves the self-doubting behind.

Also, because I say it every time I post here or in the chat, Whaley needs more court time. Plus the call on his offense rebound was utter BS.
Well said Joober.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I would like to add. First with Jalen. Is he hurt that bad? I guess. Game prior he was benched. What a way to end his career.Hopefully something happens for the tournament. Now Vital, he has left 200% on the floor every game. Remember, Ollie through him to the wolves his first day because of injuries and had to do it. They are getting to the end of their careers. Not sure of the motivation. I know it is sad.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Vital may not be the future for UConn (one year left) like some of the other guys on the team, but I do think he could / should play a large part in the rebuild of this program. The heart for UConn he has displayed the last 2 years (cred Dan hurley for reigning him in this year on the court) is at the level of kemba / shabazz / boatright. Just an outright winner who wants to give his team and fans everything he can.

Not sure what’s been going on recently with him and the staff, but hope he comes back and is a key leadership piece of the team next year. If he spends another summer in the gym working on his handle, driving to the rim and refining his already great 3-pt shot, he could be a key cog to an NCAA bid next year.
Don't know what happened but he was good at driving to the rim.

Reaction Score

He had heart, but to compare him to the 3 you just did....
I’m a big CV fan, & I think his perfect role is a 6th man gettin 20-25 mins a game. Kid has heart, but I can’t get on board calling a kid “winner” when he’s never won.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He had heart, but to compare him to the 3 you just did....
I’m a big CV fan, & I think his perfect role is a 6th man gettin 20-25 mins a game. Kid has heart, but I can’t get on board calling a kid “winner” when he’s never won.

To clarify, I meant he has a winners attitude. Clearly not a wins and losses winner in terms of team results. He may be part of the first UConn class in the past 30+? (40+? 50+?) Years to have 3 straight losing seasons haha.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One reason is Tarin is a far superior ball handler. The debate should be does CV deserve the starter minutes over Sid. If the season is now about the future and CV is a known quantity then Sid should get more minutes so he realizes what he needs to work on for next year (the list is long). CV should be an integral part of the team next year but my guess is he's not a starter again.

Winning is more important. You don't just mail-in a season in hopes of developing guys for the future.

The best way to attract recruits is to win. Losing does not motivate anyone to come here. It's not like there's a draft.

Reaction Score
Trying to figure it out also - seemed to coincide with not starting, but he could also be missing his backcourt mate from the last 3 yrs.

pj

Reaction Score
For all his flaws, CV is one of 2 guys we have that would get any real burn on a top 20 team.

He's #4 on the team after Alterique, Jalen, and now an emerging Josh. He needs a handle and better bball IQ.

He'll be #4-6 next year after Alterique, Akok, and Carlton and maybe after Gaffney and Bouknight who both have better handle, athleticism, and IQ with good shooting. CV is a better rebounder and maybe a better shooter, if he can refine his game a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's #4 on the team after Alterique, Jalen, and now an emerging Josh. He needs a handle and better bball IQ.

He'll be #4-6 next year after Alterique, Akok, and Carlton and maybe after Gaffney and Bouknight who both have handle and shot and better athleticism and IQ. CV is a better rebounder and maybe a better shooter, if he can refine his game a bit.

I didn't include Jalen because injured/I forgot. I don't think Josh gets burn for a good team right now. I hope Bouk and Gaffney are immediately better but it's not a definite.

Reaction Score
Vital can be extremely frustrating. The play at the end of the game is a shining example. I just think there are times he tries to be something he is not.
He is a role player and not a star. If he accepts this, he could a very good role player and a great piece for any team. He is tough, and he normally has pretty good instincts. He is pound for pound the best rebounder on the team, but lack size. He's unfortunately a tweener. If had a little more size he would be a good to great forward. If he was quicker/faster he would be a really good guard.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Winning is more important. You don't just mail-in a season in hopes of developing guys for the future.

The best way to attract recruits is to win. Losing does not motivate anyone to come here. It's not like there's a draft.
I don't think Hurley is trying to lose games(we won today btw). Also, Hurley has a good recruiting class coming off two consecutive losing seasons at UConn. I think we ride with the new coach and his decisions and don't worry so much about the six foot rebounding guard who considered leaving the program last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom