Future's poll | The Boneyard

Future's poll

In your opinon which of the following happens sooner

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since UConn seems to be in temporary limbo what do you think will happen next? Since I think the men will win the basketball title next year my vote is obvious.

Reaction Score
Men's BB #4.

ACC may happen.

B1G much less likely

BCS is slim due to the nature of the conference and due to the fact that our Head Coach is awful.

Reaction Score
Most probably is BCS bowl bid. It's hard to win a national title. Realignment is probably 30% chance. But that's in the future. I see UConn's BCS chances at 20%, but since that is in the immediate future, it has more probability of happening first.

Reaction Score
It'll be the ACC. UConn will be a good team next year but without the strength of schedule we're used to having from the BEast it'll be hard to seed well for the tournament. It's not impossible that we could win a title next year but I'm not holding my breath.

The ACC is definitely going to get raided at one point or another, and probably relatively soon (within 2 years?). When that happens, I have to believe UConn gets in this time around though I take nothing for granted at this point.

Reaction Score
We have a MUCH better chance than some people think about being invited to the B1G. If UNC goes to the SEC, we're pretty much a lock.

Reaction Score
Obviously this is coming from a gut feeling no "melgroovy" insider information but I feel a B1G invite is in our future. The ACC is in a situation right now where they are reacting to what is going on around them. They are the hunted now that the the Big East is done. Their moves have been all over the place is it football, is it basketball is it markets? It just seems to be what ever keeps the peace at the time of the action. They have obviously helped their basketball but their football is only slightly better than the old Big East.

On the other hand the B1G moves are very calculated. It seems that Susan is doing everything to position Uconn to be favorable to the B1G. The B1G is already strong in football and even though their basketball is good as this year shows they have had problems grasping the prize at the end of the year. Uconn brings that for basketball both men and women. We have strong programs in all the other sports. Football has nothing but upside in the right conference and we do have viewers in all New England and the New York market, and we are a large land grant University.

Again it is just a gut feeling but our fit to the B1G is hard to ignore.

Reaction Score
geohusky wrote: "Again it is just a gut feeling but our fit to the B1G is hard to ignore."
I agree. heard on WTIC this morning about the new logo but also heard a clip from Malloy saying he is committed to investing in academics at UConn. That, the TV market and a hefty boost in the Universities endowment should put them over the edge and make them just as appealing as anyone for a B1G invite. It will be nice when our conference rivals are Penn St, Ohio St, Maryland & Rutgers. Bet BC will be begging for a game at that point. I don't see it happening under 3 years though. I'm thinking everyone wants to see our football improve or at least show signs that the program is heading in the right direction. Three years should do the trick and really we need a little more time to build a fan base that can travel well.

Reaction Score
geohusky wrote: "Again it is just a gut feeling but our fit to the B1G is hard to ignore."
I agree. heard on WTIC this morning about the new logo but also heard a clip from Malloy saying he is committed to investing in academics at UConn. That, the TV market and a hefty boost in the Universities endowment should put them over the edge and make them just as appealing as anyone for a B1G invite. It will be nice when our conference rivals are Penn St, Ohio St, Maryland & Rutgers. Bet BC will be begging for a game at that point. I don't see it happening under 3 years though. I'm thinking everyone wants to see our football improve or at least show signs that the program is heading in the right direction. Three years should do the trick and really we need a little more time to build a fan base that can travel well.

Reaction Score
We have a fan base that travels very well to major games. Having kids who attend tOSU and WVU and attend at least one game at a year at both places, our problem is generational. Their fan bases are comprised of 2,3,4 generations of families who dedicate their whole weekend to the game. We are getting there and other fan bases are seeing and learning more about us.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The BCS is not going away. It's just changing format. It's a 4 team playoff come 2014 (i.e. the season after next). It will soon go to 8 teams, and probably to 16 at some point, regardess of what is said publicly. The dollars will be too good to pass up, akin to the first SEC championship game in the early 90s.

I think they should stop at 10-12 teams and give the top 2-4 a bye. There should definitiely be a reward of rest to the elite teams in the nation when all is said and done. But as Mr. Waters wrote, and Mr. Gilmour sang, "Money...can't wait."

Reaction Score
It'll be the ACC. UConn will be a good team next year but without the strength of schedule we're used to having from the BEast it'll be hard to seed well for the tournament. It's not impossible that we could win a title next year but I'm not holding my breath.

The ACC is definitely going to get raided at one point or another, and probably relatively soon (within 2 years?). When that happens, I have to believe UConn gets in this time around though I take nothing for granted at this point.
I disagree. Look at Gonzaga this year. This plowed through a cupcake WCC schedule and got a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
The BCS is not going away. It's just changing format. It's a 4 team playoff come 2014 (i.e. the season after next). It will soon go to 8 teams, and probably to 16 at some point, regardess of what is said publicly. The dollars will be too good to pass up, akin to the first SEC championship game in the early 90s.

I think they should stop at 10-12 teams and give the top 2-4 a bye. There should definitiely be a reward of rest to the elite teams in the nation when all is said and done. But as Mr. Waters wrote, and Mr. Gilmour sang, "Money...can't wait."
They'd make more money taking taking the title team from each league, and four at-large teams (16 total). They could seed them, and play first round (or two) at higher seeded team's field.

Notre Dame v. Utah State or Alabama v. Arkansas State would still draw for the home game...and every once in a while there'd be an upset, so people would tune in.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They'd make more money taking taking the title team from each league, and four at-large teams (16 total). They could seed them, and play first round (or two) at higher seeded team's field.

Would have looked something like this:
Notre Dame v. Utah State or Alabama v. Arkansas State would still draw for the home game...and every once in a while there'd be an upset, so people would tune in.

Anything but 34 games that don't mean anything except to the alumni or host city. 16 teams = 15 games that mean at least something and they get more meaningful as the weeks go on, culminating the week after New Years. Imagine that. NCAA football tourney on Saturdays and the NFL stretch run on Sundays? Tell me what red-blooded American male wouldn't object to that? Tens of millions of Honey-do lists will go unaddressed for the entire month of December.

Reaction Score
BiG ... of all the Commissioners, Delany is the smartest. I think he understands UConn potentially adds a lot to the BiG.

It's a public flagship university in the highly populated Northeast
It has high academic credentials (AAU eligibility around the corner)
It has a significant Neilsen market share (Hartford-New Haven)
It has 20 + newspapers covering the respective university teams
It's contiguous to NYC and has a significant percentage of the NYC college football market (4th after Rutgers, ND and one other)
It's contiguous to the Boston market
It has national championship caliber athletic programs in Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer and other programs as well
It has or soon will have the highest caliber athletic training facilities
Its football program has great potential with a stadium already built with expansion capabilities.
It does not have huge exit fee issues with its conference

The narrowness of vision from other commissioners and college presidents regarding their perception of UConn is remarkable. Referred by some in the early 1980's as a "sleeping giant" UConn is still in many ways a sleeping giant. I believe Delany is one of the few that gets "it" and that's why I hope that UConn will eventually receive a BiG invite.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
2-3 years from now two almost simultaneous things will happen. The UConn men's bb team will win NC #4, and the B!G will invite UConn to join. In the same year whining K will retire or cry'in Roy will be fired and those schools will ask KO to leave UConn and KO will politely give them the pinky.

In the meantime UConn will have to settle for a couple of more women's bb championships, a rising football program and the other venues continuing to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom