Future UConn Targets Play in ATL | The Boneyard

Future UConn Targets Play in ATL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link but i'm not familiar with any of those kids. Which ones are UCONN targets?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link but i'm not familiar with any of those kids. Which ones are UCONN targets?
Eric, I think he was saying they're possible recruits by virtue of their being likely Top 20 players. More restrictively, they were at the tournament in question and that's the scope of his comments.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good to hear from Kenny. Any insights on our remaining 2013 targets--Chong, McCall, and Harper? Or Calhoun, Drummer, Turner, et al.?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I was very interested to read about this 2015 post from Poughkeepsie, NY:

"Katcia Perryman, 6-2 power forward, New Heights (Poughkeepsie NY) :This is one well-built athlete who has great ups. She needs to be more active within the offensive set and improve her range. New Heights coach Simpson on Perryman: “She can dunk the ball easily in practice and can shoot with either hand [one may think she is a lefty but isn’t]. She needs to improve decision making.” "

Poughkepsie is about 25 miles north of Ossining, NY, so I wonder if her team has played Saniya Chong's. Would love to see Geno continue to recruit succesfully in New York!

Reaction Score
... Poughkepsie is about 25 miles north of Ossining, NY... Would love to see Geno continue to recruit succesfully in New York!
You got that right. With five times Connecticut's population in the Empire State, UConn simply has to defend their geographic home turf. How often will we get to see a Nykesha Sales?

I don't know if it will happen soon, but I think there will eventually be enough good programs nationally that it just won't always make sense to fly over three or four good basketball schools on the way to play for UConn (or any other great program). For that reason, I think Geno has got to make his backyard recruits close to a gimme come decision time. As far as local recruiting goes, things sure look better now than they did when Holdsclaw went to Tennessee from Queens, New York.

Gotta say, though, that I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that Moriah Jefferson called UConn with her acceptance, ending what seemed like 40 years of wandering in the Texas desert for Geno!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You got that right. With five times Connecticut's population in the Empire State, UConn simply has to defend their geographic home turf. How often will we get to see a Nykesha Sales?

I don't know if it will happen soon, but I think there will eventually be enough good programs nationally that it just won't always make sense to fly over three or four good basketball schools on the way to play for UConn (or any other great program). For that reason, I think Geno has got to make his backyard recruits close to a gimme come decision time. As far as local recruiting goes, things sure look better now than they did when Holdsclaw went to Tennessee from Queens, New York.

Gotta say, though, that I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that Moriah Jefferson called UConn with her acceptance, ending what seemed like 40 years of wandering in the Texas desert for Geno!

Geno has and probably always will recruit well in NY.

There already are 3-4 terrific basketball schools that Uconn has to contend with for recruits. Not sure what are you saying. There will be 3-4 more? Stanford, Baylor, ND, Tennessee, Duke, UNC all recruit well. But Geno still gets his share and more.

There are no gimmes in recruiting as many found out with Deshields. Geno just has to do what he has been doing the last several years. Promote the UConn brand, past championships, WNBA players from UCOnn, USA players from UConn.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno has and will continue to do a great job getting quality New York players. One of my all-time great what-ifs is what might have happened if Holdsclaw had graduated CTK a year or two later than she did. Could Tennessee have gotten her then?

I wouldn't worry too much about Geno and CD getting quality recruits from all over, though. Some kids will want to stay closer to home if there's a good option for playing basketball, but enough won't that the national approach will still work well. After all, in MBB, there are more power programs, and the best are still able to recruit nationally.

Now, when Geno steps down, his replacement should start by maintaining Geno's stranglehold on New York and Philly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno's personality plays best in the Northeast, especially NY and Philly. But he has recent successes in the Southeast, California, and Texas.

As DoggyDaddy noted, there are no gimmes. Maybe after the fact some look like it, but we've both lost a few and gained a few that we're surprises. Thank you again, Maya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom