Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor series not dead yet - new optimism that it'll be renewed

Also Purdue likely to be at Paradise Jam next year with UConn

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good to hear regarding UConn-Baylor. That's going to be the regular season game of the year. Can't wait to go to Hartford for that...assuming the deal gets done, obviously.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Purdue seems to be an up and coming team (they were out of the top 25 for several years i think) so they should be pretty good competition next year...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good to hear regarding UConn-Baylor. That's going to be the regular season game of the year. Can't wait to go to Hartford for that...assuming the deal gets done, obviously.
The Britney Griner of the college game against the former Britney Griner of the high school game. Has BG ever tried to shoot over someone with the same wingspan? Yikes! There is no excuse for this not to be a sellout and a raucous crowd. Baylor could be on a 50-60 game winning streak.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The Britney Griner of the college game against the former Britney Griner of the high school game. Has BG ever tried to shoot over someone with the same wingspan? Yikes! There is no excuse for this not to be a sellout and a raucous crowd. Baylor could be on a 50-60 game winning streak.
They could be on a big win streak but they won't if UConn KO's them in the NCAA tournament. I like our chances.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Geno was confident in his last show that there would be a UConn - BU game next year so this just adds to the optimism. And I'd much rather play Purdue than anyone else in the B10/12 whatever. Versyp is a good coach and gets a lot out of the talent she recruits. Is Rayburn in her last year now or will she be back?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
They could be on a big win streak but they won't if UConn KO's them in the NCAA tournament. I like our chances.
Umm, yeah. If we meet Baylor, very good chance it's in the NC game, in which Mr. Auriemma is undefeated, 7-0.

Reaction Score
Next year in CT will have more support on the front line with Ms. Stewart, Ms. tuck and MJ.........OMG!!

Reaction Score
Purdue seems to be an up and coming team (they were out of the top 25 for several years i think) so they should be pretty good competition next year...
I am happy to hear these stories coming out:) I had stated a while back that there would be excellent teams added to the schedule since things were in the works and still are!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory? How does the Paradise Jam work? Round Robin?

I hope some teams start to step up and want to play UCONN. We should be adding Iowa or Iowa State for Kiah and possible USC/UCLA for Lauren and Kaleena. Georgia/Georgia Tech for Banks?

Just some thoughts.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Agree- that's a terrific game on paper. There's a good chance one of the two teams will be defending champs. BG and OS on Baylor's side. KML as a sophomore. The freshmen phenoms. The two best defensive players in the country (BG and Kelly). Another chance for Stef to step up against BG. Bria's chance to shine against Baylor...again. Really hope this happens. What game played in Hartford or Storrs would be more anticipated in recent memory? Looking forward to Notre Dame, but whatever happens at XL in late Feb, there's a good chance the two teams square off again a week or so later.

Reaction Score
Next year in CT will have more support on the front line with Ms. Stewart, Ms. tuck and MJ.........OMG!!
Yes we will:p We will also have SO Stokes who I believe has untapped talents that she is going to have to put the work ethic and mental toughness it takes to play at CT for Geno. I am really hoping she does. The talent level and depth next year and beyond has the potential to achieve something very special;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree- that's a terrific game on paper. There's a good chance one of the two teams will be defending champs. BG and OS on Baylor's side. KML as a sophomore. The freshmen phenoms. The two best defensive players in the country (BG and Kelly). Another chance for Stef to step up against BG. Bria's chance to shine against Baylor...again. Really hope this happens. What game played in Hartford or Storrs would be more anticipated in recent memory? Looking forward to Notre Dame, but whatever happens at XL in late Feb, there's a good chance the two teams square off again a week or so later.

Is your MBA in marketing? :) I want to buy tickets NOW!

Reaction Score
Purdue loses Rayburn this year. They should have lost to unranked Illinois yesterday. They were not impressive.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The stage is now being set for an annual game (after January 1 and on prime time TV) between Baylor and UConn, to replace the memorable UConn vs. Tennessee series. Sad to say and sad to see, Pat is less engaged than in the past and it is now inevitable that she must pass the baton (or clipboard) to her successor. In sharp contrast, Kim Mulkey is an excitable and telegenic coach who, with legendary Geno also present, will capture and sustain viewers' interest. More important, on the court, superbly talented and motivated players will represent their universities well. Baylor officials will cease their resistance to scheduling this OOC game after their conference play has started, knowing that the TV exposure alone will give their recruiting a big boost. (They also know that if they continue to be reluctant about the timing of The Game, someone like Stanford or Duke will step up to play UConn and Baylor fans will be left outside looking on.)
I see Baylor vs. UConn as the most likely emerging and soon to become The Big wcbb Rivalry. Bonus is that Geno will have no need to scramble for a "homecoming game" for Moriah Jefferson (or whoever may now live and play HS BB in Texas). Let's get it on!

Reaction Score

Not to mention the problems Heather Buck creates for BG...

Reaction Score
I look forward to the Baylor/UConn games. My niece and her husband both graduated from Baylor, so it makes a nice family rivalry .

Lets not forget that BritneyG. will most likely be adding the Olympic experience to her resume. No to mention being coached by the best womens coach every - Geno. Britney is tough to beat now, but I expect her to grow considerably after facing international competition at the highest level. Geno will have been coaching her and may be able to give our post players some new insights on how to compete against Brit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I look forward to the Baylor/UConn games. My niece and her husband both graduated from Baylor, so it makes a nice family rivalry .

Lets not forget that BritneyG. will most likely be adding the Olympic experience to her resume. No to mention being coached by the best womens coach every - Geno. Britney is tough to beat now, but I expect her to grow considerably after facing international competition at the highest level. Geno will have been coaching her and may be able to give our post players some new insights on how to compete against Brit.
i tend to agree. i think she is going to be substantially improved next year. i noticed 2 things about her - she needs to get stronger so she's not pushed out of the post as easily, and she needs to put 100% effort in at all times, not ebb and flow. she can practically take over a game on both ends when she sets her mind to it, but she seems to flow in and out of intensity at times.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the UCONN-Duke series will be played after this year??

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The stage is now being set for an annual game (after January 1 and on prime time TV) between Baylor and UConn, to replace the memorable UConn vs. Tennessee series. Sad to say and sad to see, Pat is less engaged than in the past and it is now inevitable that she must pass the baton (or clipboard) to her successor. In sharp contrast, Kim Mulkey is an excitable and telegenic coach who, with legendary Geno also present, will capture and sustain viewers' interest. More important, on the court, superbly talented and motivated players will represent their universities well. Baylor officials will cease their resistance to scheduling this OOC game after their conference play has started, knowing that the TV exposure alone will give their recruiting a big boost. (They also know that if they continue to be reluctant about the timing of The Game, someone like Stanford or Duke will step up to play UConn and Baylor fans will be left outside looking on.)
I see Baylor vs. UConn as the most likely emerging and soon to become The Big wcbb Rivalry. Bonus is that Geno will have no need to scramble for a "homecoming game" for Moriah Jefferson (or whoever may now live and play HS BB in Texas). Let's get it on!
Agree on all counts. Really, the only thing Kim might worry about is UConn planting the recruiting flag in Texas. Texas is her bread and butter. If she misses out on the next big difference maker from the Lone Star State, it really hurts. If Geno misses out on such a player, he can just recruit someone else. UConn already got Moriah and is pursuing Brianna Turner as well. However, I'd suggest the positives far outweigh the negatives:

• With A&M and Nebraska leaving the Big XII, there is a big void in terms of marquee conference games. I don't think there's a guarantee the Big XII gauntlet prepares Baylor for the tourney like it has previously. No guarantee Texas or Texas Tech steps up, and Oklahoma is going to need a couple years at least to get back to being a Final Four possibility.
  • Tennessee's current state of transition leaves a void at the top as far as year-over-year powerhouse program. Baylor could step in and fill that spot, and having an annual gaeme with UConn helps cement that status.
  • With that status as marquee program, you should be able to recruit beyond the borders of Texas.
For UConn, it's terrific home game for the fans every other year, another national game, a chance to test yourself against another good team, and another game in Texas (on top of SMU and Houston). Hope it happens.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory? How does the Paradise Jam work? Round Robin?
Yes.

There are typically two divisions, independent of each other. Last time, there were 4 teams in the division including UConn, so we play each of the other three once. I vaguely think that the other division had a different number, but I wasn't playing close attention.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Let's get multi-year commitment from Baylor and Stanford to play each other and UConn each year. These look like the three programs that could be kings of the hill for a few years.

Wrap some marketing around it and call it the BCS series.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im so glad to hear top teams will be scheduleing UConn. My fear is as good as UConn will be top teams especially those looking for a top seed in the NCAA tourney are not willing to schedule UConn. Big games next season will be Baylor UConn Duke UConn Stanford UConn Maryland UConn. Enjoy it while we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom