Fuller's UConn football notebook: Versatile Steve Hashemi back at tight end | The Boneyard

Fuller's UConn football notebook: Versatile Steve Hashemi back at tight end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Bad move. He has no business running routes, much less having the ball thrown to him.

As other posters have said before me, this is what happens when you lose Tommy Myers. We had absolutely no depth at TE besides Myers and Bloom - it was the two of them and a bunch of lowly-rated true freshmen. Evidently the staff decided that moving around GA, Graham Stewart, Carrezola, and Hashemi over the last few games was a much better option than relying on Lee/Holman/Parker/Campbell. Kind of a catch-22 situation there.

You also really have to think about Sean McQuillan's departure and how much that royally screwed us over in this instance. Just having an experienced true TE to stick out there during today's game (as well as the Temple game) would've helped us so much.

Reaction Score
Bad move. He has no business running routes, much less having the ball thrown to him.
Considering he was recruited as an OL. I agree. Appeared to me his first targets all season. Also, no G. Anderson today. And they brought G.Stewart in on R.Johnsons TD run.

Reaction Score

HOWEVER . . . How many guys sitting in the stands (never mind most of the players on either sideline) could have caught that ball? Many, many, many. Thrown in stride, chest high, with no one near him. Rule #1 for a receiver (particularly at a possession receiving position like TE) . . . CATCH THE BALL, then worry about running. Had he caught it, he'd still be running now. That play was one of several back breakers. I know the Huskies eventually scored on that possession, but a big play at that point in the game, sends a powerful message (we can hurt you on offense).

Reaction Score
This was the beginning of the end . Agree any of us could have caught the ball, would have been a field goal at least

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Someone needs to explain to Bob that the reason Heshami is wide open is the exactly the same reason that Phil Nolan is always wide open at the 3 point line.

P.S.

Versatile in football terms means he isn't very good at any position.
Nobody ever said Lawrence Taylor was versatile.

Reaction Score
Considering he was recruited as an OL. I agree. Appeared to me his first targets all season. Also, no G. Anderson today. And they brought G.Stewart in on R.Johnsons TD run.
Exactly, let him be a blocking TE. Let him be an Hback that stays in to block. Any number of things that would have been more helpful.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to explain to Bob that the reason Heshami is wide open is the exactly the same reason that Phil Nolan is always wide open at the 3 point line.

There's a lot more tape out there on Nolan...

He makes the catch, they are heroes. They tried.. I don't fault them. No different than a "trick play/gimmick play" that doesn't work.

It's not the reason we lost.

Reaction Score
I want him to stay at tight end. Guy was the only player in the line along with Levy who actually blocked today.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
HOWEVER . . . How many guys sitting in the stands (never mind most of the players on either sideline) could have caught that ball? Many, many, many. Thrown in stride, chest high, with no one near him.
In a bowl game, on national tv, with 11 people on the field who want to do you harm on the first pass thrown to them all season????? Very few. It looks so easy sitting on your duff sipping on beers in the stands.

Reaction Score
In a bowl game, on national tv, with 11 people on the field who want to do you harm on the first pass thrown to them all season????? Very few. It looks so easy sitting on your duff sipping on beers in the stands.

That ball needed to be caught period. There was nothing "it looks so easy sitting on your duff sipping beer about it". That's yet another example why UConn's offense is inept. Catch the ball and we"ll see you way downfield.

Reaction Score
That ball needed to be caught period.
A former player sitting next to me leaned over and said "that dropped pass in this big game will stay with Hashemi the rest of his life."
This isn't just entertainment. It's much more to these kids. It's why Noel Thomas is upset. I'd be more concerned if they weren't upset.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
There's a lot more tape out there on Nolan...

He makes the catch, they are heroes. They tried.. I don't fault them. No different than a "trick play/gimmick play" that doesn't work.

It's not the reason we lost.
Its the mind set. Why not go to three wideouts?
Besides passes to tackles should only be on the goal line. Hashemi was more likely to get hit and fumble than to ramble forty yards up the field.

Reaction Score
A former player sitting next to me leaned over and said "that dropped pass in this big game will stay with Hashemi the rest of his life."
This isn't just entertainment. It's much more to these kids. It's why Noel Thomas is upset. I'd be more concerned if they weren't upset.
yeah...just like my buddy's missed kick in triple OT against Nova that cost them a Yankee Conf title and a trip to the 1AA playoffs has...give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom