Fuller: New summer practice rules won't alter Uconn's routine | The Boneyard

Fuller: New summer practice rules won't alter Uconn's routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and Chris do not subscribe to the theory that more is better. They also don't start practices earlier than Oct 15 though the NCAA rules now permit it (40 days before 1st regular season).

I like Courtney Banghart's comment: "If they don't know how to develop their game in the offseason then I wasted 180 days while I had them."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think its great for newly hired coaches or teams that will have 4-6 freshmen joining the team. Freshmen can definitely use the increased coaching time. 8 hours a week doesn't seem an excessive amount of time for the player or coaches. What is a negative is most coaches may make this time mandatory and it could impact players off season time where many want to take a break for a semester or two and go home/visit friends etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - I do think the benefits are there for incoming freshman and new coaches - great chance to get a few initial things started in a new regime or for freshmen. I think Uconn has been lucky to have a culture of strong upper class leadership for the summer pick-up games so the freshman learn from their peers what is going to be expected. But Chong getting a few hours on court with Shea this summer would probably not hurt, especially given so many of the rest of the team being away or rehabbing. And if next years class ends up being 5 players I could see Geno and Chris getting involved. It could also be a big help for some other players - BB and Kiah for example having a chance in maybe a more relaxed atmosphere to work with coaches on and off the court.
But I also don't think it is a huge disadvantage for the schools that do not or cannot make use of this. As the coach says - if you can't do it during the six months that you have them full time, are a few extra hours going to matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom