Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
game/practice....different situations?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is, also, a difference between practice and what happens at practice and other expectations. I don't see this as an indication that Geno's new approach has ended.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
There is, also, a difference between practice and what happens at practice and other expectations. I don't see this as an indication that Geno's new approach has ended.

you just said it gooder than I

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

We shall see on Saturday -

Reaction Score
Personally I don't like the nice, sensitive Geno. He is a tough coach who needs to be tough. Enough of the walking on eggshells to save feelings. You think Lobo or Rizzotti or Taurasi got a break? Nope. Why should these girls. Tough practices - telling it like it is - makes for a better, winning season. Toughen up ladies or move along!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Personally I don't like the nice, sensitive Geno. He is a tough coach who needs to be tough. Enough of the walking on eggshells to save feelings. You think Lobo or Rizzotti or Taurasi got a break? Nope. Why should these girls. Tough practices - telling it like it is - makes for a better, winning season. Toughen up ladies or move along!
Every team has a different personality. In the past, teams that were led by Strother, Turner, Crockett, etc. did not respond well at all to harsh coaching or criticism. But teams led by Diana/Maria, or Sue/Swin/Ashja/Tamika did. Geno learns during the course of a season what motivates individual players, as well as teams each year as a whole. And it's good that he's able to change things up because you can't coach exactly the same every year.

This season the "in your face" type of coaching did not resonate with the team. Doesn't mean he can't be critical, or that he has to walk on eggshells. It just means the temperament of this team requires a different approach than he was using early on...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Every team has a different personality. In the past, teams that were led by Strother, Turner, Crockett, etc. did not respond well at all to harsh coaching or criticism. But teams led by Diana/Maria, or Sue/Swin/Ashja/Tamika did.

I think there are a lots of times when Geno *wishes* he had a player (players?) that would tell him off, argue with him, etc., a la Dee and Sue. But those types are few and far between....

I think KML is the closest thing we have to that, and for all her talents she is still an underclassman. Did you notice that in part of a recent video interview with the horde, she referred to GA as Geno, rather than 'Coach,' as she normally does and as the rest of the players almost always do? This little clue was telling, IMO. (Stef has occasionally referred to him as Geno but only when the question or subject is humorous or non-basketball in nature. KML called him Geno when the question was a straight ahead question about practice, performance, etc. 99.99% of the time, the players will say "Coach".)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year, Geno told KML that there was room for only one wiseass on the team--and that was him. Kaleena has some of the same So. Cal. attitude that Dee had.

Reaction Score
Yea KML is a wiseass. And Bria is stubborn....and often gets caught giggling when Geno's yelling at her. (She made the same comment about Jim Calhoun...she thinks old men having temper tantrums is funny. She's probably not wrong.)

We know Doty, Dolson, and Faris can handle it too. Which is why I say this being more gentle thing is about depending so much on freshman..who likely aren't ready for that yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya looked at him and nodded, while thinking "I've got it under control. Calm down!"

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

One of the reasons that a coach such as Stringer isn't getting it done with her players is her inability to figure out the best method of motivation for her teams. Being rigid isn't working for her - clearly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom