FullCourt All American Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FullCourt All American Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Any "AA" team that goes fifteen deep and doesn't include Kelly is right up there with the National Enquirer and The Star in terms of credibility! Meghan Simmons? Lord have mercy! At least Kelly has a couple of rings, and that is some consolation.

Reaction Score
There isn't anybody that is going to convince me that Lloyd and Graves have anywhere near the talent that Stewart has. Breanna Stewart is the best freshman in the country and will have multiple National Championship rings before she graduates. Don't get me wrong, both Lloyd and Graves are excellent players, but they aren't Breanna Stewart.

Reaction Score
Not sure I see this great overshadowing all freshman type play by Loyd for the year in BE. She averaged 32 minutes a game in BE and shot less than 40 %, had more turnovers than assists and had 6 blocks and 16 steals. She averaged 10.9 per game in BE. Breanna played 22 minutes a game and shot just over 40% from field had 6.4 to 5.3 rebound advantage and where Loyd had 6 blocks and 16 steals Breanna had 32 blocks and 16 steals. Loyd averaged 10.9 per game and Breanna 10.5. Both had more turnovers than assists.
Breanna's 3 point shooting in BE was terrible but she only took 28.
Seems like Breanna got about same things done on offense as Loyd in lot less minutes (you basically need to add 45% to her stats if you increase her stats to equate minutes - know can't exactly do that but pretty much can given how Uconn plays and who they play in the BE). Defensively, not sure you can make much of a case that Loyd is a bigger factor than Breanna; probably other way around.
Head to head in league Loyd for 3 Uconn games had total 17 rebounds and 32 points vs. Breanna 17 rebounds and 31 points. Minutes close also with Loyd 108 and Breanna 94. We know what happened in the fourth meeting.
Graves had good stats in 30 minutes per game (whole season as don't show league only) and averaged 13.2 pts (again almost 40 % more minutes) and shot 52% (no 3's to drag % down) and 8 rebounds; low blocks at 13. Breanna shot over 50% for year also and factor out 33% 3 point shooting and shot 55%; had 74 blocks for year.
Don't see the "oh Loyd and Graves had better years than Breanna" in the stats as much as Geno used her less than other freshman were used. Didn't say she was stellar all year and should have run away with best freshman, just that her disappointing vs. the "expected the NCAA Breanna all year" comparisons and that ND and Tenn girls had solid freshman years that were comparable to Breanna; and when conventional wisdom was Breanna would just carry Uconn from day one it made Breanna's results look like less than they were.

When looking at the stats, Breanna held her own with the other top freshman contenders. She also outperformed them in the beginning and final stretch of the season. It is times like this where I wonder if her expectations hurt her. She performed equal to her competitors and yet was said to be disappointing. I wonder if her reputation held her back from being recognized because she was expected to do much more that Loyd.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It might have more to do with when they made their decisions. If they decided the teams before Stewarts end of the season run in the Regionals and the finals then it is understandable as to why they didn't give her the nod for Freshmen of the year. She did go into a funk (that relative for her, her stats weren't bad...just not as good as they were earlier in the season)... On the other hand, if they voted after her MVP in the Regionals and her 29 points in the semis, her 23 points in the championships they might have voted her player of the year...;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like this quote in the POY discussion.

It would be wrong to judge Griner's career by her final game, a shocking upset loss to Louisville in the round of 16, where Griner, who was not just double- and triple-teamed but at times all but mugged by the Cardinals' post defenders.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In my book, Dolson and KML are All Americans. Stewart didn't perform at a high enough level for long enough to be the FOY but would anyone take any other freshman over Stewart? No!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I like this quote in the POY discussion.

It would be wrong to judge Griner's career by her final game, a shocking upset loss to Louisville in the round of 16, where Griner, who was not just double- and triple-teamed but at times all but mugged by the Cardinals' post defenders.

Do you think that now, while we here on the UConn board are celebrating a great achievement that this is the right time to be bringing up this issue? I think the statement was actually given to hyperbole. Yes, the cardinal defenders were all right up in Griner's grill and didn't give her the space she was accustomed to working with. But, I think mugging is an over-exaggeration. Remember she is 6'8" tall and that image of Shoni getting up in her face after the circus shot was comical in my opinion. Mugging is when Stefanie Dolson gets ripped down from behind by I believe it was Achonowa..that was a mugging.

But Griner was supposed to be all everything...and that is what happens when you have a bullseye on your back. Secondly, do you think that Griner was the only consensus player of the year who got mugged in a game. I would say you should be thankful that you only have one game to complain about. My memory of DT was that her body was covered with bruises, she had an injured back and leg injuries all due to the muggings she took game after game. Getting hit off screens, getting grabbed as she cut to the basket. Then there was Maya Moore who was ripped down during the Rutgers game by Epiphany Prince and had to play injured for the next three or four games. She was bumped, grabbed and banged up her whole college career. It is, unfortunately, part of the women's game. Thirdly, we heard all year that Baylor was more than B. Griner. You had Hayden, Madden, Pope, Williams, Sims, etc... The number one over-all team in the Country should have been able to absorb tight in your face defense on Brittany and the other girls should have stepped up. It didn't happen...and lastly, the fact that UConn was able to beat them by 33 points shows only one thing to me...that Baylor despite the man-handling of Griner had no business losing that game. I think you need to look to your coach who didn't make the correct adjustments and let Slaughter get 6 open threes among other things that should have been accounted for.

Sorry for the tough love here but this isn't the first time you have brought up the fact that Griner was mugged. I think we all got it but this is our time now and it is about celebrating a great accomplishment by a number of great ladies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Do you think that now, while we here on the UConn board are celebrating a great achievement that this is the right time to be bringing up this issue. I think the statement was actually given to hyperbole. Yes, the cardinal defenders were all right up in Griner's grill and didn't give her the space she was accustomed to working with. But, mugging is an over-exaggeration. Remember she is 6'8" tall and that image of Shoni getting up in her face after the circus shot was comical in my opinion.

But Griner was supposed to be all everything...and that is what happens when you have a bullseye on your back. Secondly, do you think that Griner was the only consensus player of the year who got mugged in a game. I would say you should be thankful that you only have one game to complain about. My memory of DT was that her body was covered with bruises, she had an injured back and leg injuries all due to the muggings she took game after game. Getting hit off screens, getting grabbed as she cut to the basket. Then there was Maya Moore who was ripped down during the Rutgers game by Epiphany Prince and had to play injured for the next three or four games. She was bumped, grabbed and banged up her whole college career. It is, unfortunately, part of the women's game. Thirdly, we heard all year that Baylor was more than B. Griner. You had Hayden, Madden, Pope, Williams, Sims, etc... The number one over-all team in the Country should have been able to absorb tight in your face defense on Brittany and the other girls should have stepped up. It didn't happen...and lastly, the fact that UConn was able to beat them by 33 points shows only one thing to me...that Baylor despite the man-handling of Griner had no business losing that game. I think you need to look to your coach who didn't make the correct adjustments and let Slaughter get 6 open threes among other things that should have been accounted for.

Sorry for the tough love here but this isn't the first time you have brought up the fact that Griner was mugged. I think we all got it but this is our time now and it is about celebrating a great accomplishment by a number of great ladies.

Tough love is my favorite type of love.

Reaction Score
All you really need to know is the article, what if Breanna Stewart could go to the WNBA now, she would be a top 5 pick no other freshmen would even be considered. Like Kara Lawson said " Legends are made here at the Final Four."

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Thanks...should have known that, hereafter referred to as SHKT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads