FSU ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

FSU ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. We started hot, and finished pretty strong. In-between, we looked surprisingly and depressingly like last year's team.
  2. 55 fouls called. The refs refused to allow the game to get in the way of their agenda.
  3. Hook & Hold needs to be completely rethought. There is no way to know which player instigated it, and both players are trying to make it appear as if the other player is at fault. Bigs get their arms tangled all the time jockeying for position.
  4. The ref that had the ball hit him out of bounds and didn't call it out, and Hurley went ballistic on him, had a superjohn for Hurley from that point on. And the bald one... I don't even know what to say about him. Seemed like the 2nd coming of Teddy.
  5. Gilbert was fantastic. Wish he had asserted himself more.
  6. Conversely, until the last 8 or 9 minutes, Adams had the worst game I can remember him playing.
  7. Smith's line somehow doesn't look as bad as he seemed to be playing in real time.
  8. Again, we turned it over too many times. Yet we still managed to win the turnover margin battle (19 to 22) while simultaneously losing the game.
  9. Fouls were nearly even (28/27), as were rebounds (37/38)
  10. Not that it's saying much, but Yakwe had his best game as a Husky.
  11. The announcers... Neither of them should ever work a college basketball game again. Lets talk Army Football and get as many baseball references in as we can while ignoring the the game in front of us. "UConn has been horrendous from the line." No, idiot, if you were paying attention, you would have known that Cobb and Wilson were hideous from the line, while the rest of the team was busy going 17 of 19. Isn't that what analysts are supposed to do? Analyze what's going on in front of them? Same meathead... "That's the third hook and hold called on UConn tonight." No, the first one was called on FSU, moron. But you can't be expected to remember from way back in the 1st half, because you're too busy talking about Army Football.
  12. This game was overall depressing and had a 2017/2018 feel to it, which is even more depressing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread referring specifically to #4 in your post but I’ll just do it here instead. That play completely changed the complexion of the game. Immediately after that, Vital got two cheap fouls (one being that double technical) and Carlton got his second foul, forcing both to sit the rest of the half. It’s impossible to know of course, but it killed our momentum we had going (up until that point I was hoping we would come out with “smack them in tha mouth” intensity and we did but it quickly dissipated). Felt like a game where Christian was just itching to go off but he never got the chance.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread referring specifically to #4 in your post but I’ll just do it here instead. That play completely changed the complexion of the game. Immediately after that, Vital got two cheap fouls (one being that double technical) and Carlton got his second foul, forcing both to sit the rest of the half. It’s impossible to know of course, but it killed our momentum we had going (up until that point I was hoping we would come out with “smack them in tha mouth” intensity and we did but it quickly dissipated). Felt like a game where Christian was just itching to go off but he never got the chance.
That's twice it's happened to us this season. I watch a lot of basketball, and can't recall ever seeing a ref not call the ball out of bounds when it hits him while he's out of bounds, other than these two instances. I probably have seen it, but it's more a funny thing when it ain't hurtin' your team, and you probably wouldn't remember it as clearly.

Reaction Score
That's twice it's happened to us this season. I watch a lot of basketball, and can't recall ever seeing a ref not call the ball out of bounds when it hits him while he's out of bounds, other than these two instances. I probably have seen it, but it's more a funny thing when it ain't hurtin' your team, and you probably wouldn't remember it as clearly.

The first time it happened, at the XL, the ref was completely inbounds and it was called it out. Vital would have had a break away dunk if he let them play. Of course, both times the play was called to hurt the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I wrote about the momentum of the game in another thread, and I was specifically referring to #4 of your post as well as the hook call. It seems like these things happen in every big game we've played so far. Unbelievable.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Listen this FSU team is no joke. They have the physicality and toughness to contend for an ACC Regular Season Title. This was an Elite Eight team last year, 5 points away from a Final Four, returning 4/5 starters and most of their team is back.

They will likely go deep into March. This was a good litmus test - I think if we dial down the TO's then we can be pretty good too.

Reaction Score
Hyperbole time.
Adams’s worst game of the season due to out of character non-finishing.
Polley takes 2 steps back.
Vital should never be allowed to take more than 1 dribble.
Carlton is a backup almost anywhere else beyond mid majors.
Alterique on a path to greatness.
Yakwe was greatest surprise.
Wilson sheepish passer and teams know it.
Need bigs badly.
FSU has more talent and rim protectors.
Need bigs badly.
Worst reffed game in recent memory of many bad ones.
Hold and pin requiring replay is a bad joke.
Camera 2 looking for emotion is used far too much.
Announcers worse than any CBS Network or lower ESPN channel.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The ball movement and offense were terrible.

That's what reminded me of last year. They had us playing windshield wiper ball 40 feet from the rim for much of the game.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Hyperbole time.
Adams’s worst game of the season due to out of character non-finishing.
Polley takes 2 steps back.
Vital should never be allowed to take more than 1 dribble.
Carlton is a backup almost anywhere else beyond mid majors.
Alterique on a path to greatness.
Yakwe was greatest surprise.
Wilson sheepish passer and teams know it.
Need bigs badly.
FSU has more talent and rim protectors.
Need bigs badly.
Worst reffed game in recent memory of many bad ones.
Hold and pin requiring replay is a bad joke.
Camera 2 looking for emotion is used far too much.
Announcers worse than any CBS Network or lower ESPN channel.
I dont think it was worse reffed game than the one vs Cinci and couple years back in the AAC tournament in Hartford. Maybe because I was there live but man that was awful.

Reaction Score
I don't like to post my rants about referees … those 3 were horrible. And YES … that Spatola guy is painful.

My focus, though, is with that Florida State team. They would be a really difficult matchup for most all of our UConn teams of the last 8 years. And for most of College hoop. I am not saying that they will win the NC; just that their size and mobility and physical presence is awesome. That is just a hard team for UCONN. And they were missing Cofer. Some team will find a tactic to get them to lose in MM.

I disagree about Carlton (with anyone stating he has peaked) … he will get better and be a viable COLLEGE Big. He has good fundamentals … and we see his nice footwork on Offense; he does not have elite athleticism though. Cobb? Useful; but a difficult plug against real size on defense. Polley will develop; Wilson will develop: both are solid athletic size.

Alterique is a difference maker and key cog on our achievable goals: if he played better and in sync versus Arizona … we win. Jalen is not playing like our best offensive asset … and we have to figure out how to push that to happen. We can beat most all our conference; we are not ready for Prime Time top P5.

Reaction Score
Funny....but the Nole fans are ranting about how the refs changed the game...but UConn's way..nobody is happy.

They say that the big hook and hold early had UConn up five...and with the incessant foul calling, FSU had their big guys, Kourmadje and Kabengele on the bench with 4 fouls before the second half 12 minute time out. Five Seminoles with 4 fouls or more (Kabenjele fouled out).

The Tomahawk guys noted...

"Florida State turned it over on 28% of their possessions, which is the most the Huskies have turned over a high major team in five years. In the past four seasons FSU has turned it over at that rate one other time (last year’s loss to Oklahoma State). "

Reaction Score
I think that the Husky defense was darn tough....and FSU's as well.

An ugly defensive game with TO's on both sides, a foul every 46 seconds...Huskies hit only 40% of their "two's" and FSU turned it over every 4th possession...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom