OT - Frontier drops SNY | The Boneyard

OT - Frontier drops SNY

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I guess the ESPN+ conspiracy is true! Looks like SNY and Frontier are in a contract battle. Glad I'm not a big Mets fan...

Poe

Reaction Score
YTTV. $40 month and no contract, it's amazing
Agreed. It’s been great for sports since I switched from Directv Now. The only downside is it’s not available on Amazon products.

Reaction Score
Frontier is going down the tubes. The stock has decreased an astro amount (price adjusted 112 -> 2) since VZ spun them out in 2010 (gee - I wonder why?). Did a 1/15 stock split a year ago to keep from being delisted ( ie, trading < 1) by NSDQ. How can a Tel Co / utility be such a f-up?? Look at the mgnt and BoD.

Reaction Score
Just today, we got smacked with a significant monthly increase when we opened the monthly bill. When we called, we were told that our “promotion” had expired & we were now at the “regular” price. Within the past year, Fronriwr also dropped MLB Xtra Innings & the Showtime channels from our package. “Best” they could do was drop our bill by $6. We checked with DirecTV but they said they could not guaruntee reception when they evaluated our property. We are also in Cox territory so Comcast/Xfinity are out. I guess I need to investigate options....

Reaction Score
I guess the ESPN+ conspiracy is true! Looks like SNY and Frontier are in a contract battle. Glad I'm not a big Mets fan...
I just went to turn on the Mets and nope can’t watch. I’m a Yankees fan but I like watching all games. Certainly disappointing and will need to switch my cable if UConn will still be on SNY. Terrible.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It’s been great for sports since I switched from Directv Now. The only downside is it’s not available on Amazon products.

Not true. There’s a fix. Google YouTube.Tv through a Firestick. Took five minutes and I’m watching it as I type.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not true. There’s a fix. Google YouTube.Tv through a Firestick. Took five minutes and I’m watching it as I type.

NBCSN is on YTTV and they've nailed it with their coverage of the World Curling Championship. Watching it right now.

Reaction Score
I pay $50 a month for PS Vue and get YES, SNY and the NESNs as well as CBSSN
Yeah, I use PSVUE too since it was great to watch UCONN games this past season with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews and CBSSN. It does have all the local sports in the south with Fox Sports South too that I don't watch. It also has NBCSN so I can watch Liverpool. Will probably drop in in the summer months or take up sling until the basketball season starts again as I don't watch much TV anymore. Love the control that streaming has provided me as compared to cable.

Reaction Score
Frontier is a very poorly financed company with inferior internet speeds and tv platform. They’re good initially for people who only care about price but they don’t have the capital to properly finance their infrastructure. I’d consider any available option over them anyway.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Just today, we got smacked with a significant monthly increase when we opened the monthly bill. When we called, we were told that our “promotion” had expired & we were now at the “regular” price. Within the past year, Fronriwr also dropped MLB Xtra Innings & the Showtime channels from our package. “Best” they could do was drop our bill by $6. We checked with DirecTV but they said they could not guaruntee reception when they evaluated our property. We are also in Cox territory so Comcast/Xfinity are out. I guess I need to investigate options....

Cable is such a racket. Especially the way they seem to set up “territories” and essentially collide with each other to screw over consumers.

Reaction Score
Cable is such a racket. Especially the way they seem to set up “territories” and essentially collide with each other to screw over consumers.
Connecticut has recently deregulated so cable companies who want to invest in infrastructure can now go into towns they weren’t previously allowed. Comcast has recently built out New London, Waterford and Uncasville. With the population not growing in this state, expect to see more options as cable companies will need to enter previously forbidden towns to grow their revenue. It could be good for consumers, at least here in Ct.

Reaction Score
Update: Frontier Communications drops SNY, keeping Mets, UConn games off some Connecticut TVs

>>Frontier Communications will no longer carry the regional sports network SNY, leaving some Connecticut residents without access to New York Mets and UConn basketball games, a company spokesman said Tuesday. “After negotiations and thorough evaluation, we are unable to reach an agreement with SportsNet NY that makes economic sense without adding additional significant costs to all Frontier customers,” Frontier spokesman Javier Mendoza said. “Frontier will continue reviewing the combination of programming services that we offer.”<<

>>“SNY worked in good faith to come to a fair market value agreement, but Frontier was unwilling,” SNY spokeswoman Ellie Seifert said in a statement. “Fortunately SNY is widely distributed with our other cable, satellite, telco and streaming partners.” SNY’s website directs Frontier customers toward digital streaming services that carry the network, as well as cable carriers DirecTV and Optimum.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Frontier is going down the tubes. The stock has decreased an astro amount (price adjusted 112 -> 2) since VZ spun them out in 2010 (gee - I wonder why?). Did a 1/15 stock split a year ago to keep from being delisted ( ie, trading < 1) by NSDQ. How can a Tel Co / utility be such a f-up?? Look at the mgnt and BoD.

For us in CT - 2014 was the issue - Frontier bought out the AT&T assets in CT. I had AT&T Uverse for phone/internet. When Frontier took it over, it was an abject disaster - ended up having to go back to Cablevision - which I swore on my life I would never do. Optimum, however, has turned out to be a great product. I've never heard anyone say anything good about Frontier.

The Frontier folks said that AT&T screwed them in the transition, but who knows.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
For us in CT - 2014 was the issue - Frontier bought out the AT&T assets in CT. I had AT&T Uverse for phone/internet. When Frontier took it over, it was an abject disaster - ended up having to go back to Cablevision - which I swore on my life I would never do. Optimum, however, has turned out to be a great product. I've never heard anyone say anything good about Frontier.

The Frontier folks said that AT&T screwed them in the transition, but who knows.
Frontier is horrible. As much as I hated comcast I know I'm go in to end up back there.

Reaction Score
Will now have to consider alternatives. How do people feel about Optimum?

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Hulu Live also has SNY. (at least in CT and I'm guessing NY area)

Along with YES, Espn, espn2, espnu, espnews, cbssports, golf network, Big10, FS1, FS2, NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, and SEC.

My favorite feature is that after you choose your favorite sports teams, it will automatically record their games.

Reaction Score

Right, allegedly a lot of the hardware from AT&T and Frontier’s system didn’t mesh well. Frontier got far too aggressive with acquisitions and is very poorly financed so expect to hear more things like the SNY loss.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
DirectTVNow carries all the ESPN'S (except 3), MSG/MSG+, SNY, Yes, CBS Sports and NBC Sports in Norwalk. Plu all 4 major sports league's networks. Big10 and SEC also. Not sure i need anything else, certainly not Frontier or Optimum

Reaction Score
Will now have to consider alternatives. How do people feel about Optimum?
I had hated optimum when I had it way back when, but was pleasantly surprised when I switched back to it two years ago from Frontier. The internet speeds alone were worth it - much faster than anything available from Frontier. The cable box/guide is still clunky, worse than Frontier, but the picture quality is better. I ended up getting a Tivo, which I find has a much better guide/interface and overall better experience. Frontier also had lots of service issues that required a tech every six months or so. Haven't had a Optimum tech at my house since the install, knock on wood. Considering how much the Uverse/Vantage product has deteriorated I don't think you have much to lose by switching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom