from ... the Couldn't Have Said it Better file | The Boneyard

from ... the Couldn't Have Said it Better file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"What Randy accomplished in his time at UConn, winningest coach in school history, transitioning the program from 1-AA to the Fiesta Bowl, these were not easy things to do and speak volumes about his football mind and coaching ability. Husky Nation should be excited to have him back! For someone that has been in the NFL, the UConn players should also be excited. Randy has a proven track record of getting players drafted, which is hard to do wherever you are. He knows the landscape and has shown he can do this. I am excited for Randy and for my alma mater.

– John Dorsey, General Manager Kansas City Chiefs, 1983 First Team All-American at UConn "

BIGGEST NEGATIVE THOUGHT:

He did succeed. Trailers. He took the Program from barely a short drive from the best of regional HS type facilities (certainly not Texas Friday Night Lights) to a full fledged FBS participant and winner. This is indisputable. He was detailed in every way ... and actually his obsession carried to negative things at Maryland where they have a far more critical Media centre and a toxic fanbase.

I appreciate Edsall's path.

however ... That was something he did with laser focus and energy from Age 39 to 52. He learned on the job and became the face of the Program ... like few others in all of CFB. He then had a massive failure at Maryland and only occasionally looked like he was really coming into the potential of that Program. Different parameters and he did understand that; but he simply didn't win enough. He got punched in the face.

He is far better at finding the right guys (way beyond PP and BD) and coaching them up .... many many to NFL status; which is the ONLY Star ratings we should concern ourselves with. Can your kids get a pay check because they are that good. Efficient markets? Not Rivals/Scout/247; they miss far too much and are susceptible to strange internal bias. Edsall was a uniquely extraordinary guy at unearthing kids that played at the highest level - Soccer Backgrounds (Blidi) and NE HS overlooked (Todman, Reyes) and LI big HS / Hoop pedigree (Shamar Stephens) etc.

Does he have the makeup to repeat his path to getting us to Bowl qualified yearly ... and beyond? Sometimes the energy just is not there (Johnny Majors at Tennessee) Has he adapted to the NEW Offensive Game that CFB has evolved to?

BIGGEST POSITIVE THOUGHT:

1. You David Benedict found a way to separate from Diaco. 2017 was not going to go well. And ... this Fanbase is not trusting - I think - in another search for a Diaco or Ash or Durkin. Nor a unknown FCS or lower division guy. (We hired a guy to be HC from Juniata College??). And the PRICE was important ... as we only have a limited reservoir of donor dollars.
2. We have a guy - now that we know far more about Jeff Hathaway capabilities and dark side - that can actually build off of what is a better structure ... AND Maryland was a good few years to learn some new paths to succeed at a UConn. Not much on the job training needed.
3. Temple. BC and Syracuse ain't what they were. Prep Schools. And he knows the terrain.
4. Randy Edsall knows how to work a 85 man roster. He really prepared year to year - in retrospect - far better than Diaco or PP. Would Robbie Frey have gone if HCRE was still the coach; would we enter a year with either a McEntee at QB or a concussion vulnerable Casey Cochran? Would we have multiple years of weak development at OLine? We would have Larry Taylor type explosion backs, returners, WRs.

The Net ... we are in a tougher conference moving forward. One in which our Fanbase has difficulty relating to. And filling the RENT is going to be far harder than 2003 with the excitement of a Syracuse or a BC or even Indiana arriving. Edsall needs to be the Music Man as well as HC winning games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The AAC is not a tougher conference than the Big East when Edsall was last here. If you look at the Sagarin football ratings, the Big East was ranked:

2005: 6th best conference (Edsall was 5-6)
2006: 2nd (Edsall was 4-8)
2007: 4th (Edsall was 9-4)
2008: 5th (Edsall was 8-5)
2009: 2nd (Edsall was 8-5)
2010: 6th (Edsall was 8-5)

The average Sagarin rating for the Big East from 2005 to 2010 was 75.83.

The average Sagarin rating for the AAC from 2013 to 2016 was 65.12.

The above ratings mean that an average BE team from 2005 to 2010 would be favored at home by almost 2 TDs over an average AAC team from 2013 to 2016.

In my opinion, it is easier to bounce back from one year to the next in the AAC (look at UCF) than it was in the Big East, which is why I am excited that Edsall returned as Diaco wouldn't have done well in 2017. Edsall took UConn from trailers to competing in a BCS conference which was ranked as the 2nd best conference 2x while he was coach. Competent coaching and better player development will bring UConn football back faster than people think.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Being a big chiefs fan im very very encouraged by john dorsey's endorsement of Edsall. Dorsey has been a great evaluator of talent for kansas city not only with his players but with his staff as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Also, he knows Quebec and Ontario.

Sorry, I had to! :D

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree with the idea the Big East was better. I think the degree of horrible-ness at the bottom of the AAC (including UConn) drags down the average heavily. Back in the Big East that UConn was in, it was basically WVU on top every year. The AAC has gone through several programs being very strong at the top and having January success.

Ask Cincy which conference is tougher.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
"What Randy accomplished in his time at UConn, winningest coach in school history, transitioning the program from 1-AA to the Fiesta Bowl, these were not easy things to do and speak volumes about his football mind and coaching ability. Husky Nation should be excited to have him back! For someone that has been in the NFL, the UConn players should also be excited. Randy has a proven track record of getting players drafted, which is hard to do wherever you are. He knows the landscape and has shown he can do this. I am excited for Randy and for my alma mater.

– John Dorsey, General Manager Kansas City Chiefs, 1983 First Team All-American at UConn "

BIGGEST NEGATIVE THOUGHT:

He did succeed. Trailers. He took the Program from barely a short drive from the best of regional HS type facilities (certainly not Texas Friday Night Lights) to a full fledged FBS participant and winner. This is indisputable. He was detailed in every way ... and actually his obsession carried to negative things at Maryland where they have a far more critical Media centre and a toxic fanbase.

I appreciate Edsall's path.

however ... That was something he did with laser focus and energy from Age 39 to 52. He learned on the job and became the face of the Program ... like few others in all of CFB. He then had a massive failure at Maryland and only occasionally looked like he was really coming into the potential of that Program. Different parameters and he did understand that; but he simply didn't win enough. He got punched in the face.

He is far better at finding the right guys (way beyond PP and BD) and coaching them up .... many many to NFL status; which is the ONLY Star ratings we should concern ourselves with. Can your kids get a pay check because they are that good. Efficient markets? Not Rivals/Scout/247; they miss far too much and are susceptible to strange internal bias. Edsall was a uniquely extraordinary guy at unearthing kids that played at the highest level - Soccer Backgrounds (Blidi) and NE HS overlooked (Todman, Reyes) and LI big HS / Hoop pedigree (Shamar Stephens) etc.

Does he have the makeup to repeat his path to getting us to Bowl qualified yearly ... and beyond? Sometimes the energy just is not there (Johnny Majors at Tennessee) Has he adapted to the NEW Offensive Game that CFB has evolved to?

BIGGEST POSITIVE THOUGHT:

1. You David Benedict found a way to separate from Diaco. 2017 was not going to go well. And ... this Fanbase is not trusting - I think - in another search for a Diaco or Ash or Durkin. Nor a unknown FCS or lower division guy. (We hired a guy to be HC from Juniata College??). And the PRICE was important ... as we only have a limited reservoir of donor dollars.
2. We have a guy - now that we know far more about Jeff Hathaway capabilities and dark side - that can actually build off of what is a better structure ... AND Maryland was a good few years to learn some new paths to succeed at a UConn. Not much on the job training needed.
3. Temple. BC and Syracuse ain't what they were. Prep Schools. And he knows the terrain.
4. Randy Edsall knows how to work a 85 man roster. He really prepared year to year - in retrospect - far better than Diaco or PP. Would Robbie Frey have gone if HCRE was still the coach; would we enter a year with either a McEntee at QB or a concussion vulnerable Casey Cochran? Would we have multiple years of weak development at OLine? We would have Larry Taylor type explosion backs, returners, WRs.

The Net ... we are in a tougher conference moving forward. One in which our Fanbase has difficulty relating to. And filling the RENT is going to be far harder than 2003 with the excitement of a Syracuse or a BC or even Indiana arriving. Edsall needs to be the Music Man as well as HC winning games.

Holy Moly - Walt Nadzak has made it to the Boneyard!! Outstanding!!

Reaction Score
He's our guy. Whether you loved him or hated him, if you're still here after the debacle we just endured, you're probably a true die hard. Many of the more fickle fans jumped ship a while back. I work with a few, and they are alums. Edsall gets chance to get this train back on the rails. I am hopeful, and it's more than I could say if Diaco came back for another year of bungling on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree with the idea the Big East was better. I think the degree of horrible-ness at the bottom of the AAC (including UConn) drags down the average heavily. Back in the Big East that UConn was in, it was basically WVU on top every year. The AAC has gone through several programs being very strong at the top and having January success.

I'm inclined to agree

Looking back. USF looks more powerful. Memphis Houston Tulsa SMU UCF Temple are all on a good track. Cincinnati will rebound great. Tulane is climbing.

The Syracuse program & the Wannstedt & even Louisville were underachieving thru 2005-2010.

Reaction Score
No, Robbie Frey would not have stayed if Edsall was the coach. Plus it was easier to get his teaching degree in PA,than Neag. Even PP tried to get him in but Neag entry is very competitive and he couldn't get Robbie in.

Reaction Score

Wow, people have forgotten the Big East days with Edsall. The problem with the Big East was not the number of quality football programs. The problem was the Big East did not have a couple dominant football programs.

Using the Sagarin's for comparison, in the 6 years from 2005 to 2010, the Big East had 6 top 10 schools and 3 schools ranked > 100. (all Syracuse). In the 4 years from 2013 to 2016, the AAC has had 0 top 10 schools and 18 schools that ended the season ranked >100.

Sagarin facts for the 6 years (2005 to 2010) of the Big East and 4 years of the AAC (2013 to 2016):

Top 10 schools: Big East 6, AAC 0
Top 30 schools: Big East 13, AAC 4

Ranked > 70: Big East 9, AAC 26
Ranked > 100: Big East 3, AAC 18

Top 10 Big East schools during that time: West Virginia 3x, Pitt, Louisville, Cincinnati
Top 30 Big East schools during that time: West Virginia 4x, Pitt 2x, Louisville 2x, Cincinnati 2x, UConn 1x, Rutgers 1x, USF 1x.

I would hardly say the Big East was just West Virginia during those 6 years.

Also, look at UConn's strength of schedule:

Big East (2005 to 2010) = 54.3
AAC (2013 to 2016) = 79.5

Yes, the AAC has some decent teams, but the programs were better in the Big East. I think that is why 5 out of the 8 programs are now in the P5. It will be easier to run around a program in the AAC than it was in the Big East. It took years for Rutgers and Syracuse to become respectable in the Big East.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How many times were there Big East co-co-co champs with 5-2 records? I feel like that was pretty common. A lot of GOOD teams no great teams. No teams that ever challenged for a national title (I think Cincy in 09 was the closest). Having a bunch of teams (usually WVU, Cincy, Pitt, USF, UConn, and I hate to admit Rutgers) between 15th-40th with out anyone in the top 10 does not a great league make. This really hurt the perception of the league.

Reaction Score
How many times were there Big East co-co-co champs with 5-2 records? I feel like that was pretty common. A lot of GOOD teams no great teams. No teams that ever challenged for a national title (I think Cincy in 09 was the closest). Having a bunch of teams (usually WVU, Cincy, Pitt, USF, UConn, and I hate to admit Rutgers) between 15th-40th with out anyone in the top 10 does not a great league make. This really hurt the perception of the league.

No, in 2007, West Virginia was ranked #2 and set to play in the BCS Championship, but they had to beat Pitt at home to make it and they lost 13-9. Then, they crushed #3 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

During the years 2005 to 2010, the Big East averaged one team in the top 10 each year. Unfortunately, the conference needed a heavyweight program or two to have gained more respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom