OT - From OrangeBloodscom ? Texas to ACC | The Boneyard

OT - From OrangeBloodscom ? Texas to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All that wildfire smoke is causing oxygen depravation???

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1261031

<<<But if the Big 12 comes apart, another way for Texas to hold onto LHN may be joining the Atlantic Coast Conference, two sources close to the situation said Monday. ESPN holds the TV rights in the ACC and also owns and operates LHN.

But the ACC would only come into play if Oklahoma left for the Pac-12 and the Big 12 busted up, sources said.

One source close to the situation said the ACC, which is trying to fend off a potential raid by the Southeastern Conference (Virginia Tech continues to be mentioned by sources as an SEC target), would possibly look to add Texas, Syracuse, Connecticut and Rutgers to grow to 16.>>>

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

<<<But if the Big 12 comes apart, another way for Texas to hold onto LHN may be joining the Atlantic Coast Conference, two sources close to the situation said Monday. ESPN holds the TV rights in the ACC and also owns and operates LHN.

But the ACC would only come into play if Oklahoma left for the Pac-12 and the Big 12 busted up, sources said.

One source close to the situation said the ACC, which is trying to fend off a potential raid by the Southeastern Conference (Virginia Tech continues to be mentioned by sources as an SEC target), would possibly look to add Texas, Syracuse, Connecticut and Rutgers to grow to 16.>>>

Now that would be one wacky- conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that ESPN apparantly is willing to do whatever it takes to keep the LHN fully operational?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that ESPN apparantly is willing to do whatever it takes to keep the LHN fully operational?

No. For the life of me I can't understand it. I'm still curious to the reports that are justifying the network. I'm sure there's enough people in Texas to make it work financially, but in no way is Texas a national brand.

The biggest thing Texas has going for it is that it's the state university in the second most populous state and it reaches every segment of the state without any equal competition. Sure A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston and SMU have their regional strongholds in Texas, but the Longhorns own every major market in the state.

In comparison, California doesn't have any school that dominates all the state markets. Neither does Florida.

Texas is unique in that it has market share and total eyes on the sets that no one else does.

But, it's not a national brand.

Reaction Score
No. And having a Longhorn Network that is going to produce greater revenue for them over everyone else in conference seems terribly unfair. Hard to compete against someone that will always be able to offer better salaries, facilities etc. than you can.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Just announced: Texas will play two ACC games in the same time slot.

"We clearly outclass the ACC and can play split squad teams" says Bevo Meister Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds. For any other team this would be unimaginable. But for Texas, this will become the norm as we provide content to ESPN and the Longhorn Network in the same time slot in different time zones :>.

Pundits suggest Texas seceded from reality and will soon secede from the United States. Dallas will be the NFL's first International League team. Houston, however, may not choose to secede.

Reaction Score
When does orangbloods.com start posting Texas to the Big East rumors? Talk about crying wolf. In the last two years thay have said that Texas is staying in the Big 12, going to the SEC, going to the Big 10, going to the Pac 10 and now going to the ACC. Give me a break...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Weak attempt by Texas to create the appearance of competition for Texas so the Pac 12 will cave on the LHN.

Has a single cable system picked up the LHN?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One of the Austin ones picked it up last Thurdsay.

Reaction Score
it's well known that chip brown is the mouth for the texas president and ad. if they want the appearance of one thing, they leak it to him, he writes it, and it gets picked up as an inside story. in reality, while brown isn't unreliable, his reports are so all over the place, it's clear he's saying what the scool wants people to hear.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the ACC is going to love Texas coming in like this. Yeah right, I don't believe it.

The Pac-12 is in a more desperate situation than the ACC simply because, as has been noted, there are few schools that can be added in that region. Whereas the ACC spans out into regions occupied by the SEC and BE. This means there are more puzzle pieces.

The Pac-12 on the other hand needs to venture to the middle of the country to find candidates. The Pac-12 should be more amenable to the LHN than the ACC.

On the other hand, I can definitely understand that Texas might like the ACC better, simply because of the time slot. But let's be serious: this was leaked to give the Pac-12 something to think about, to make concessions for Texas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm sure the ACC is going to love Texas coming in like this. Yeah right, I don't believe it.

The Pac-12 is in a more desperate situation than the ACC simply because, as has been noted, there are few schools that can be added in that region. Whereas the ACC spans out into regions occupied by the SEC and BE. This means there are more puzzle pieces.

The Pac-12 on the other hand needs to venture to the middle of the country to find candidates. The Pac-12 should be more amenable to the LHN than the ACC.

On the other hand, I can definitely understand that Texas might like the ACC better, simply because of the time slot. But let's be serious: this was leaked to give the Pac-12 something to think about, to make concessions for Texas.

The ACC seems legitimately happy with its membership. While the TV deal could use some more juice, you don't ever hear grumbling. I think the ACC is happy to stay where they are.

Reaction Score
I think the President Herbst has way more sense than to position The University of Connecticut into the same conference with Texas if Bevo is allowed to keep the Longhorn Network. I agree that Orangebloods tells some delusional tales. That writer is D.Dodds' lackey, & will spout whatever nonsense Dodds whispers into his ear.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only way Texas to the ACC makes any sense at all would be in a Notre Dame type scenario where the stay independent in football. If you actually believe this scenario though... well then I have some real estate I could sell you cheap.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Weak attempt by Texas to create the appearance of competition for Texas so the Pac 12 will cave on the LHN.

Has a single cable system picked up the LHN?
Good call. Sounds like a smokescreen. At least SEC has ArKansas. What schools from the ACC have a history with Tejas?

I have Verizon Fios, LHN is available but I have no idea what tier it's on. However I also have access to SNY, various regional Fox Sports channels and the BYU religious-except-for-occasional-football-games channel, so they pretty much give options to most regional sports channels if you want to open the wallet.

Reaction Score
I see this as nothing but a smokescreen as well. It makes ZERO sense.

Reaction Score
i find it disturbing that ESPN has any power at all in determining the collegiate landscape. talk about letting the tail wag the dog

Reaction Score
There is no seperation between "church and state" when it comes to ESPN and CFB. They've essentially become the dominant medium for the sport. That's what's disturbing.

That Craig James is still on TV is also disturbing. Bruce Feldman left the network because ESPN gave him flak over co-writing Mike Leach's book. The whole Mike Leach incident was essentially an ESPN created event. Leach-gate basically got more play than the action on the field that bowl season.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There is no seperation between "church and state" when it comes to ESPN and CFB. They've essentially become the dominant medium for the sport. That's what's disturbing.
That's the one thing that scares me about negotiating a TV deal with Fox or NBC - we run the risk of angering ESPN and getting the silent treatment.

Reaction Score

How do you know that's what happening?
It may be, but it also seems like there are lots of people making up stuff ("ESPN will do this because ...") to fit a particular narrative they're trying to push. It reminds me of things like, "there's no way David Stern would let unglamorous team X make the NBA finals; the refs will not let it happen ..."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I was going to make a similar comment about Duke/NCAA refs...

However I think it is legitimate to ask questions about the evolution of college football in light of the piles of money being driven around in dump trucks by the networks. If nothing else, it'll give plenty of material for the haughty sports columnists of the world.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that ESPN apparently is willing to do whatever it takes to keep the LHN fully operational?
How do you know that's what happening?

It may be, but it also seems like there are lots of people making up stuff ("ESPN will do this because ...") to fit a particular narrative they're trying to push. It reminds me of things like, "there's no way David Stern would let unglamorous team X make the NBA finals; the refs will not let it happen ..."

I don’t know that this will happen and I never said that anyone will do anything. I stated that apparently ESPN is willing to do this. My inference came from the following statement (quoted in the initial post in this thread):

From the article posted my inference is not much of a stretch at all.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when the networks, not the universities, are really making the decisions on the future of college athletics. All they care about is ratings, not grades, grad rates, student athletes, or tradition. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom