From my "coaches" spreadsheet - and some hotseats | The Boneyard

From my "coaches" spreadsheet - and some hotseats

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I updated my WBB coaches spreadsheet for the season and noted there are 12 new Head Coaches this season in the Power 5 conferences. Actually more changes than Football or Men's Basketball this year.

What is remarkable, to me, is the number of "long time" and even some "Hall of Fame" coaches that ended their careers this year - Nancy Fahey, C Vivian Stringer, Gary Blair, Sue Semrau, Mike Carey, Charlie Turner Thorne and even Jim Littell who spent 11 seasons at Oklahoma State.

I also do the Big East, which had only one change, at Butler. With the retirements, it looks like Doug Bruno is the oldest coach of a major program, and Geno and Tara are not far behind.

As is typical, only one of these new coaches (at Mississippi State) lacks head coaching experience.

Just looking at coaching records reveals some obvious hot-seats:

• Lance White is 32-79 at Pittsburgh in 4 seasons
  • Charmin Smith is 24-48 at Cal, I'm sure she will get a little extra rope as her program was ravaged by Covid
  • James Howard at Georgetown - 52-91 in 5 years
  • Jim Crowley at Providence - 72-107 in 6 years at Providence
  • Melanie Moore at Xavier - only 3 years, but 17-58.

For a comparison, I also track non P-5 opponents for Rutgers and Arizona and 10 of the 16 head coaches I looked up have absolutely terrible under .500 career coaching records. This is partly from the OOC losses playing P5 schools, but yikes - one coach is 88-207 in 11 years at the school. Just obvious who cares about WBB, I think.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
What about her? There's no way she's leaving SC.
In the hot seat, many members of the SC state house looking for answers for her and the AD about the cancellation of the BYU series over a hoax.

Reaction Score
I was gonna mention the Missouri coach, her contract ends in 25 I think?
Especially after losing Blackwell. There hasn't been much buzz about this program since Cunningham left, now with Blackwell gone, how does this team rebuild?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom